• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just had a wild thought-we should have a 2002 FAQ gathering

02fanatic

Wouldn't it be great to get together in the spring or summer of '07! Just a thought...but I'd be up for that!

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well over 70 cars last year and more expected at V@V Most of the attendees frequent this board and its fairly centrally located on the East Coast.

Mid America 02 Fest in April (Bo, Skip, Keith we are planning on coming this year) which is more centrally located

At least two 02 Group events in the mountains in the Summer

Lime Rock and Watkins Glen in Sept

West coast guys, what have you?

So many events, so little time

I'm with Robert...this one needs to be a really BIG Gathering...for EVERYONE!!!! both coasts....500 '02's in one place!!! That's a goal that "is" achievable!!! :-) Will take much planning...just "bag" the regional events, and throw in to one big gathering that will last at least 2 or 3 days...and plan vacations around the trip!

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I'm with Robert...this one needs to be a really BIG Gathering...for EVERYONE!!!! both coasts....500 '02's in one place!!! That's a goal that "is" achievable!!! :-) Will take much planning...just "bag" the regional events, and throw in to one big gathering that will last at least 2 or 3 days...and plan vacations around the trip!

John

This may be the very excuse I need to go to the US!

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

A big event would be terrific. Keith Kreeger is also interested and will help I think...

It is almost too late to plan a spring event of this magnitude. I do not agree we should suggest to those that plan local events to bag them. Some are traditional and get great attendance and I do not think they will harm attendance at a national event.

Now the place and time is the problem to get it right. A central location is a great idea, but can get a lot of attendance or very little. Colorado is one of my favorite locations. The Oktoberfest in 2002 in Keystone, CO, was one of my favorite venues. However, only 20 or so 2002s made if from the east and not much more than that from the west. Maybe that low turnout was due to our aversion to the BMWCCA events and how the BMWCCA shuns the vintage population.

We really need to think where folks are willing to go.

Some thoughts:

Spartanburg, SC has the BMW plant, track and nice facilities, usually willing to host large BMW events, good weather in the fall, but not too centrally located. Also the site of 02-02-02 that saw a very good attendance.

lineup3.jpg

There is Ft Worth in September, somewhat central, site of the BMWCCA Oktoberfest. So that should mean facilities are plentiful, weather should be ok and somewhat central, just a bit south for the Minnesotans (sp?) and Canucks.

Then there is Arkansas, don't know much about that.

Is Colorado a destination that east coast people would really turn out to in big numbers? We would need to carefully plan a caravan with support vehicle equipped with tools and parts.

85a70plus.jpg

And like Mike Pugh said, there are already many events planned annually. Every year I have to carefully decide which ones I can afford to attend. VinV is one of my favorites. That is a real good one on the east coast in May.

I just hope those that say they will go, really support a nationwide event. There is much planning and expense that go into such an event.

Where are those guys that put on one of the best ever 02 events, 02-02-02? That was one of my first 02 events, hooked ever since.

Lets keep this thread alive with realistic expectations and commitments.

Any opinions on including the coupe crowd and even the vintage two wheelers?

MY1964R27ATPEWTERRUN.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Planning and lead time is what it will take... If somebody can check or is familiar with places that will host a large group of attendees and their cars we might be on our way. John Weese, how about a poll to see how many of the FAQers would be willing to commit with lead time to plan and budget? I am willing to help to set it up, just need to know if the effort would be worth my time!

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)