• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

11mm box end wrenches

It's usually 10mm wrenches and sockets that go MIA.  I know where my 1/4" drive 10mm socket is--inside a hollow, bowed crossmember under the bed of my Frontier pickup truck.  I've been trying to retrieve it for two years--I can reach halfway across the crossmember with my magnetic pickup tool, but as yet haven't been able to snag it.  And because the tube is slightly bowed, I can't shine a light down into it to see where it's hiding.  And it was a Facom socket, the first metric socket I bought, back in 1963, when I found out there was no SAE equivalent for 10mm.  Back then even Sears didn't carry metric tools, so I had to get it from an industrial supply house.

Old VW beetles used 11mm nuts on their clutch cable adjusters...

mike  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, tzei said:

I bet they're dingeling on hard pipes.

Sisu-style!

1973 2002 - my '02 was built on my '02

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual!), 2007 328i spt pkg, 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

I know where my 1/4" drive 10mm socket is--inside a hollow, bowed crossmember under the bed of my Frontier pickup truck. 

Compressed air from the other side.

Make sure you have something set up to catch it, because it may come out of there at speed.

If air by itself doesn't do it, wad up a bit of paper towel to act as a piston.

Start small, but you eventually may end up with a relatively large ball of towel.

Or you can use air to blow a string (pull line) through the pipe, then tie something of the 

right diameter to the string and use THAT to pull the socket out in a more controlled fashion.

t

worked as an electrician once.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You can also try a small super magnet on edge on the outside of the rail and drag your socket back to where you can reach it.

PS these little guys are the best stud finder I've found just lay on flat on the wall and rub it around until it sticks on a nail head and there's your stud.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

20 hours ago, ray_ said:

Hard brake line fittings.

But getting a box end on there may be a feat!

:D

Perhaps that's where all the boxed end 11mm's go after installing new brake hard lines.

May be an image of text that says 'Handy tip: Always use the box end of the wrench to tighten a brake line to avoid rounding the flare nut'

Edited by conkitchen
  • Haha 1

But what do I know

21 hours ago, Mike Self said:

-I can reach halfway across the crossmember with my magnetic pickup tool, but as yet haven't been able to snag it. 

mike  

Hit up a local shop that repairs PCs and ask them for a couple of dead hard drives. The magnets you can harvest from them are strong enough to make blood blisters if they snap together with a piece of skin between them. Laptop hard drives have smaller magnets - use a stiff piece of wire to fish a string through the member, tie on the magnet and pull it through. (it's hard to push the magnet through as it wants to snap down on anything ferrous. I have hot glued them to a rod when I had a straight shot and just needed uber-magnetism). 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii