• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Working on another 02 mystery: On-street parking lights

Yet another 2002 detail that needs clearing up.  As many of you know (or maybe not), US 2002s in the 72 and 73 model years have an interesting feature:  selecting a left or right turn using the turn signal lever with the ignition off will illuminate the selected parking and tail light.  In many European countries, this is required for on street parking overnight, so all Euro cars are so equipped.  But only 72 and 73 cars destined for the US...at least that's what we think.  Here's where we need some input for y'all for certain US spec 2002s and 1600s:

1. For owners of early 1600s--66 and 67, but sold originally here in the US (mph speedos, English gauges).  Does your car have this feature?
  2. For owners of early roundies--68s and first series 69s (VINs below 1664760) and comparable 1600s.  Does your car have this feature?
  3. For owners of early modell 71 cars with 12 fuse fuseboxes (VINs between 2570001 and approx 25768XX).  Does this feature work on your car?
  4. Squarelight owners from all 3 years:  does it work on your car?

Appreciate your input on this.  Once we have some definitive information, John76 and I are working on how one can wire up this feature on your US spec car if it isn't already equipped.  

TIA

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1666365 had the feature wired, but not plugged in.

My E46 JUsomethingorother does it too.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Why would we want this feature? Who would want to leave two of their parking lights on overnight, when it’s not required by law ?

Even though it’s only a 10W drain, they must’ve sold a lot more batteries over there… Lol

oh yeah Mike,  my 76er ain’t got it.

• Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

My '67 1600-2 had this feature....guess how I discovered it back in the UMass remote parking lot?

Interestingly enough, our '99 911 and '01 Boxster S also have this feature via the rotary light switch.

Edited by wingswheelshulls

1974 '02 Golf 'Gabby', few Porsches and leaky British things.

I'm including an article I wrote decades ago on this very subject. To the best of my knowledge the turn signal switch is the same for all early cars but the wiring at the fuse box is different. Early US wired cars have the parking lights paired front and rear, the euro car left and right. Some changes are needed to some US cars to make this work. I did this decades ago as I thought it was a nice safety feature.

02lights001.pdf

• Like 4

My 1970 BMW 1600 has this feature (1571037), it also has the turn signal switch with the individual connectors.  The "P" connector on the turn signal switch is connected to the "P" connector on the ignition switch with a green wire which provides power to the parking lights when the stalk is activated right or left when the ignition switch is off.  I learned about this feature the hard way by running down the battery in my 1971 BMW 1600 Cab after switching it on by accident in the garage.

Mark92131

• Sad 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

15 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

My 1970 BMW 1600 has this feature (1571037), it also has the turn signal switch with the individual connectors. 

Mark, is your 1600 a six or 12 fuse car?  And if a six fuse, are the parking and tail lights fused by left and right sides (left parking & tail on one fuse, right parking and tail on another) or are they fused front and back (both parking on one fuse, both tails on the other)?

We'll get to the bottom of this eventually 😁

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

More info.  Well, based on Fuse Diagrams for my 76er - it does have the left and right side parking light and tail light fused independently (on fuses 7 & 8). With ‘flasher system” on fuse 6.

Since it’s Left-Right fused vs Front-Back that implies the parking-light function MIGHT work?? But mine don’t…

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

My 1970 1600 1570087, Sept 16 1969,  build date did not have this feature,  I have since rewired it (only had to run 1 wire to do it) so it does now.  The 74 Turbo that was originally sold in England does have the parking feature. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

My 71 (2573468) has this feature. Makes sense if you didn’t want your car swiped in tight euro alley whilst dining with your fraulein!

Bob

• Haha 2

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3