• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Working on another 02 mystery: On-street parking lights

Weird stuff.

My May 69 6 fuse car does NOT have this feature. Left and right sides fused separately (1 & 3).

My May 73 12 fuse car DOES have this feature. Left and right sides fused separately (1 & 2).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

My May 69 6 fuse car does NOT have this feature. Left and right sides fused separately (1 & 3).

Hi Jim

I don't think any of the US spec 69s had fuse wiring that would accommodate the on-street parking feature.  Mine (and yours) are fused thusly:

Fuse 1:  Left and Right parking lights

Fuse 2:  Right tail light and license plate light

Fuse 3:  Left fail light and instrument cluster lights

For the feature to work properly the wiring would have to be thus:

Fuse 1: Left parking and tail light

Fuse 2: Right parking and tail light

Fuse 3: license plate light and instrument lights

I believe Dave Hoovler is telling us that his early 71 (a 166/7XXXX VIN, not a modell 71 VIN (257XXXX) is wired properly and the feature works on his car. 

So what we haven't determined is when in the 166/7XXXX VIN run were the fuses switched around and the car wired for the feature--as it requires additional wiring from the light switch to the turn signal lever, and another wire from the ignition switch to the turn signal lever.

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

My May 73 12 fuse car DOES have this feature. Left and right sides fused separately (1 & 2).

It appears that all the 257/8/9XXXX VIN cars have a functioning on-street parking light setup.

We'll get to the bottom of this...eventually!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Hi Jim

I don't think any of the US spec 69s had fuse wiring that would accommodate the on-street parking feature.  Mine (and yours) are fused thusly:

Fuse 1:  Left and Right parking lights

Fuse 2:  Right tail light and license plate light

Fuse 3:  Left fail light and instrument cluster lights

For the feature to work properly the wiring would have to be thus:

Fuse 1: Left parking and tail light

Fuse 2: Right parking and tail light

Fuse 3: license plate light and instrument lights

I believe Dave Hoovler is telling us that his early 71 (a 166/7XXXX VIN, not a modell 71 VIN (257XXXX) is wired properly and the feature works on his car. 

So what we haven't determined is when in the 166/7XXXX VIN run were the fuses switched around and the car wired for the feature--as it requires additional wiring from the light switch to the turn signal lever, and another wire from the ignition switch to the turn signal lever.

It appears that all the 257/8/9XXXX VIN cars have a functioning on-street parking light setup.

We'll get to the bottom of this...eventually!

mike

Here’s my (I believe original) fuse sticker from the 69.

IMG_2436.jpeg

Jim Gerock

Hi Jim

Interesting...your car was assembled four months after mine and those first three fuses are arranged differently from those on my car.  Wonder when they made the change in the fuse setup...

So it appears that the fuses on your car are arranged so that the on-street parking light feature would work, but since it doesn't on your car, it's lacking the two light switch-to-turn signal lever wires, and the single ignition switch-to-turn signal switch wire.  

It gets more interesting by the day...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Hi Jim

Interesting...your car was assembled four months after mine and those first three fuses are arranged differently from those on my car.  Wonder when they made the change in the fuse setup...

So it appears that the fuses on your car are arranged so that the on-street parking light feature would work, but since it doesn't on your car, it's lacking the two light switch-to-turn signal lever wires, and the single ignition switch-to-turn signal switch wire.  

It gets more interesting by the day...

mike

I did replace the original broken TS stalk, but all the wiring was identical.  Front turn signals are replacements that I added a running light connected to the original wire leads.  Steering column lock/ignition switch was also replaced with a new assembly. Light switch and Emergency flasher switch quite possibly original.

Jim Gerock