• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 and Safety Wire

Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

What are your wise thoughts and experienced actions re: safety wiring bolts and other fasteners on a carbureted non-race M10 engine?

• Which should or must be safety wired?
  • Which are not particularly necessary but might be recommended?
  • Cam gear bolts?  Oil pump nut?  Certain nuts on carbs?  Fuel pump hose clamps?  Others?
  • Is LocTite sufficient for all or most applications?
  • Did BMW wire any fasteners during during production of 2002's?

Thanks.

download.jpg.a527821224651e297567bd0ede4895b6.jpg

Edited by 2002#3

• Solution

From BMW, only the bolts on the bottoms of the strut tubes were wired.

And had they had loctite red, I don't think they would have

bothered with those.

Things that come loose?

The bolts on the bottoms of the strut tubes.

I've had the halfshaft bolts come loose.

I've had the halfshaft nuts come loose.

I've had the throttle linkage come apart.

I've had the nuts holding the carb come loose.

I bet others have more.

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

BMW used lock plates for the cam gear bolts but these really don't seem to come lose much and here I would use loc-tite and not safety wire, the oil pump nut needs to be secured with wire or a spot weld IMO.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I lived the safety wire world through out my career, it was mandatory .

I dont see it as necessary on an 02 engine and locating proper drilled head bolts/nuts are a pain to procure as is drilling them yourself.

Maybe on the oil pump nut if you have that style pump but everywhere else?

Dont bother, clean threads, locktite, new lock washer, proper torque and your good to go.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

LocTite is just fine.  Even on the race engines that is all I use on the cam gear bolts.  Also LocTite on the oil pump nut (make sure you put the washer BEHIND the gear and NOT between the nut and the gear!!) 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Thanks for the thoughtful comments and wise suggestions.

Just as I thought:  not all that important in the engine (maybe OP shaft nut).  I know about the use of safety wire in a few locations in the suspension, drive train, and axles/halfshafts.  I thought the suggestion of safety wire being used to secure the inlet and outlet of the fuel pump was a good idea.   So, I did that a few years ago (photo).

ScreenShot2024-01-31at9_38_11PM.png.32013e55f8cce5b45cd7de8e9e655dd6.png

I've always heard the fuel inlet on old Solex carbs was suspect since it was a press fit. Guys I know on VWs that still sun Solex carbs safety wire them. Good friend of mine lost his car to a fire because of that issue.

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

The wire connects the in and out FP hose clamps and prevents both hoses from slipping off.  Certainly neither necessary nor the typical use of safety wire, I admit.  I saw this use on this site and thought it might be a good idea.  My '73 had one of these hoses slip of many years ago.  Not fun.

I had taken Ed's advice and wire tied the clamps together on the stubby pump, to insure against the pressed in fittings coming loose.  (bottom side view)

067.thumb.JPG.cc1d2bf8962fb473041518b9ad533164.JPG

Then went back to this pump, not long after that and didn't need the wire.

068.thumb.JPG.3037c0072b290ad1214b3a04a4762aed.JPG

Edited by '76mintgrün'02