• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian '71 2002ti project - uncovered after 35 yrs

ae86guy

I just want to say: this is a GREAT unmolested example of a GREAT sub-model!. Kudo’s to your uncle for his decades of care. Continue what he started. Rare and very desirable! Just fabulous!

(I believe, after 50 years of continuous ‘02 ownership, that more than half of the surviving cars have replacement nosepieces: My ‘67 had an original nosepiece, probably, at least when I owned it in 1974-75. My ‘70 got a new nosepiece, and then I totaled it. My ‘73 tii has a new, but old, tii nosepiece, replaced probably in the 1980’s.. And my ‘76, which I bought new, got a new nosepiece in 1978. 😯🙄)

Congrats and welcome.

Although there are more similarities than differences between a 1600-2 or 2002 and a ti, you may also find very useful “ti-only” topics in the forum discussion for 1600ti’s and 2002ti’s. I’d recommend both this general discussion and the ti discussion as you move forward.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

14 hours ago, Hans said:

I believe ti lacked snorkel on front bulkhead.

Old Magazine Road tests and period photos confirm the lack of the snorkel on ti and tii.  No need for them due to the air cleaner arrangement.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

So cool! I missed this thread when it was started.

Beautiful car and it feels like it's in exactly the right hands. I bet your uncle is super happy to see it being brought back to life. The fact that you were actually able to drive it so shortly after it was uncovered (after 35 years!!!) illustrates love of the car. I can't believe the brakes/clutch weren't locked up.

Oh, regarding VIN - to each their own. My VIN is in my signature so you know my thoughts on the matter (shared by many here I believe). The odds of a predator locking in on your car from this site and then stealing it is slim to none. You lock it in a garage I'm sure. And in terms of cloning - yes maybe, but it's a simple matter to verify authenticity and that type of shenanigan is left for the Olds 442, Boss 302s and Shelby Cobras (and AE86s?) of the world. My opinion of course! You are very welcome here regardless of the choice.

Please keep the photos of the journey coming.

Cheers - Jason

EDIT - You say it's a 4 speed. Do check if it has a "hidden" 1st gear, dog leg (left and then to the back). Not uncommon on the Ti models to have the CR235 transmission, and to the unaware, 2nd gear feels a lot like 1st. I'm sure your uncle would know but hey, worth a try!

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the comments + info and also mention that I've shared the thread with my uncle.  He is also reading and appreciating all the compliments on the car!

He is finding out new things about the car through the forum that he never knew, which is fantastic. 

On 11/20/2023 at 2:30 PM, Conserv said:

Although there are more similarities than differences between a 1600-2 or 2002 and a ti, you may also find very useful “ti-only” topics in the forum discussion for 1600ti’s and 2002ti’s. I’d recommend both this general discussion and the ti discussion as you move forward.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, will do.  I've definitely taken a look at some of the ti-specific threads on the forum, but I noticed that this section of the forum was far more active, and thought it would make sense to share it on here as a general 2002 post. 

11 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

So cool! I missed this thread when it was started.

Beautiful car and it feels like it's in exactly the right hands. I bet your uncle is super happy to see it being brought back to life. The fact that you were actually able to drive it so shortly after it was uncovered (after 35 years!!!) illustrates love of the car. I can't believe the brakes/clutch weren't locked up.

Oh, regarding VIN - to each their own. My VIN is in my signature so you know my thoughts on the matter (shared by many here I believe). The odds of a predator locking in on your car from this site and then stealing it is slim to none. You lock it in a garage I'm sure. And in terms of cloning - yes maybe, but it's a simple matter to verify authenticity and that type of shenanigan is left for the Olds 442, Boss 302s and Shelby Cobras (and AE86s?) of the world. My opinion of course! You are very welcome here regardless of the choice.

Please keep the photos of the journey coming.

Cheers - Jason

EDIT - You say it's a 4 speed. Do check if it has a "hidden" 1st gear, dog leg (left and then to the back). Not uncommon on the Ti models to have the CR235 transmission, and to the unaware, 2nd gear feels a lot like 1st. I'm sure your uncle would know but hey, worth a try!

Definitely planning to keep updating this thread as I continue to work on the car. I'll be sure to check for that hidden gear next time I'm with the car, thanks for the tip! 

Found this old image of my cousin standing with the car in a family photo album - I'd date it probably late 70s-to-early-80s based on how old he looks in the pic.  Car looks pretty much the same minus the damage to the fender. I learned yesterday that the accident is what prompted my uncle to park it in the late 80s, and he never drove it after that. That'll be rectified soon! 

image.thumb.jpeg.fa30370e1c6e2febcf07303c66a6a776.jpeg

• Like 4

Toyota AE86 x 2

83 AE72 Wagon

Current project - 71 2002ti

Instagram @ae86corollavirus

20 hours ago, 7502 said:

Thanks for sharing such a nice story and perfect car.  On the video it appears that your amp gauge isn't working yet.

If it were me I would ditch it and replace it with a voltmeter. I have never understood the need to run wires under the dashboard that carry the full current of the B+ circuit, whether OE on an older car or aftermarket as in this case.

That aside, what a great story about a great car, keep us posted!

• Like 2

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Yeah the ammeter is not wired, nor are the two aftermarket switches.  I mispoke when I said all the gauges work, I was mostly thinking the gauges on the actual cluster.

I agree volts would be nice to know, but not totally necessary either as there are other ways of probing into that if it's needed.

Assuming the whole panel went in at once, but the oil pressure was the only thing worth hooking up. 

• Like 1

Toyota AE86 x 2

83 AE72 Wagon

Current project - 71 2002ti

Instagram @ae86corollavirus

On 11/20/2023 at 3:34 PM, ae86guy said:

510:

1972_datsun_510_1602598153fb1b266pic-05-2054565988.thumb.jpeg.1b0a5d1c92811946ae219ff146097c67.jpeg

E7 Corolla (virtually the exact same chassis as an AE86)

img_1001-1810744417.thumb.jpg.851dca96b7d010d51e3a1116390d6668.jpg

"E10"

Welcome to the forum! Super cool car and story!

Please, never utter that again.

:)

Cheers,

Edited by ray_
  • Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.