• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a factory rim?

UpnorthMN
Go to solution Solved by 02Les,

Yes, commonly known as tii alloys now, although one could order/purchase them for a standard 02 back in the day.

Much more desirable if they are original instead of the current offering from BMW; the easiest way to differentiate them (beyond condition) would be if FPS was stamped into the back (original) and not the front (new).

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

• Solution

These alloy wheels were part of the factory 'sport paket' offered for Tourings 1971 & on. So, rather than calling them tii alloys, perhaps Touring alloys is more fitting.

They were shown in the BMW Accessory Brochure at the time, and, as noted, available for all '02 models.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Wouldn't a 76 have soup dish alloy wheels?  I thought the alloy wheels in the original post in this thread were optional for roundies.  Soup dish alloys were optional for square tail light 02's or you could order them at your local dealer parts counter.  https://www.bmw2002faq.com/wheels/bmw2002/fps-r28/

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

11 hours ago, 02Les said:

These alloy wheels were part of the factory 'sport paket' offered for Tourings 1971 & on. So, rather than calling them tii alloys, perhaps Touring alloys is more fitting.

They were shown in the BMW Accessory Brochure at the time, and, as noted, available for all '02 models.

+1

I prefer to call these the “early OEM alloys” because it recognizes the breadth of their application. They are the factory alloys for the round taillight era, available factory-installed in some markets, but only as a dealer accessory in the U.S. market. They worked and have been installed on every sub-model. Their successors, the “soup dish alloys” to which @Gordonrefers, are the “late OEM alloys”, the factory alloys for the square taillight era. Again, available factory-installed in some markets, but only as a dealer accessory in the U.S. market (a bunch of U.S. 2002A’s had them installed at the Ports of Entry or at dealers to goose slow 2002A sales). The attached photo shows the late OEM alloys on my ‘76.

Here’s the entry for the early OEM alloys in the forum’s Wheels database:

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2123.jpeg

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

AFAIK those "early" or "roundie" alloys were first offered when the 2002ti was introduced (not in the US) in 1971.  Once they were introduced, they were always available from your local BMW dealer as an accessory, but strictly speaking, they aren't "correct" for a pre '71 car.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 hours ago, Mike Self said:

AFAIK those "early" or "roundie" alloys were first offered when the 2002ti was introduced (not in the US) in 1971.  Once they were introduced, they were always available from your local BMW dealer as an accessory, but strictly speaking, they aren't "correct" for a pre '71 car.

mike

I agree with the early 1971 introduction, Mike (and Les). I believe, however, and to Les’s point, they were introduced with the touring model, which was rolled out with the new Modell 71 upgrade in April 1971. And, as Les said, they were offered factory-installed as part of the Sport Paket trim package.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)