• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002AD

its55
Go to solution Solved by JsnPpp,

59 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

You have to be careful with ording from WN. Those 5% coupons are tempting, but when you order enought to beat their 20 Euro coupon, you end up having to pay additional import duties to UPS, wiping out the 5% coupon, and then some. Every once in a while they run free shipping... that's the best deal they have. 

Agreed, that's why I made certain to check all of that before ordering.

Many of these suppliers have the ability to negotiate volume incentives with the carriers, there are even some low weight / low value shipping options available to mitigate shipping costs, however IMHO these suppliers either know what they are doing and are passing their savings to their customers, or are just lazy and keep this profit at the cost of losing a future sale. However, and this is a big however, since these suppliers know that the availability of parts is getting scarce, they pretty much don't care and have a take it or leave it mindset. Sort of like they have us by the cahonies... if you know what I mean.

The ones that are professional and understand, get my money.

Edited by larry_in_socal
  • Like 2

Pelican is now ECS, so proceed at your own risk...

t

does anyone else smell a return to the '80's business monolith model?

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Back in the days of Jim Compeau and Bill Merrican, when 2002AD was located in Sun Valley it was a great place to go scrounging 2002 parts...at one time there were nearly a thousand 2002s and 1600s there, whole, or in part.  The parts supply was endless and the prices reasonable.  

If you have any BMW CCA Roundels from 1999 (don't remember the month), I did a story--with pictures--about the yard; it's really eye-popping.  Apparently things went downhill when Bill sold the business and it moved out to the desert.

mike

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

my '74tii has always been one of the lucky ones to always reside in SoCal and be close enough to the original 2002AD in Sunland to scrounge a few parts (still in use).

And close enough to the current 2002AD location in Pomona to scrounge a few more parts (yep, still in use).

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 2:35 PM, OriginalOwner said:

my '74tii has always been one of the lucky ones to always reside in SoCal and be close enough to the original 2002AD in Sunland to scrounge a few parts (still in use).

And close enough to the current 2002AD location in Pomona to scrounge a few more parts (yep, still in use).

Cheers,

Carl

Yea I did not buy.   Quoted me a part price but would not send a picture of the part or even attempt to describe the condition of the chrome-  I appealed at least once and was told “no, come see it when you’re in town”.  I got my part on eBay for less.  

2002ad has parts no one else has you have to bend the knee if you need that one part they have......

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

On 4/5/2023 at 11:13 AM, TobyB said:

Pelican is now ECS, so proceed at your own risk...

t

does anyone else smell a return to the '80's business monolith model?

ECS Tuning?  I have bought from them w/ no issue ... except a bit slow on processing ...

On 4/3/2023 at 11:37 AM, slowbert said:

You could buy from Ireland, who are more than happy to charge $17 for shipping two small screws and a handful of nuts.

Shipping *can be* a profit center for some vendors.

image.thumb.png.ee35b4af12a56b5b0daf14dd15e3c024.png

I agree their website doesn't handle shipping costs for small orders or small parts very well.  

Last month I was looking for a small part, the Clutch Slave Cylinder Lock Plate (21 52 1 103 489) for my '73tii, and Ireland was the only vendor that has that part (they make them themselves).  The part is only $15, and they wanted $24.30 for shipping.  The part is about the size of a half dollar and probably weighs less then an ounce.  

I called them and they were happy to drop it in the post with shipping for $5.25.  Sure, I saved less then $20, but it felt reasonable / more reasonable / I wasn't getting screwed on the shipping.  

I guess, when in doubt, ask or email or call.  I think its only the second time I've done business with them and they seem like nice people and reasonable.  

• Like 2

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

If I’m local to 2002AD, do you guys still recommend against using him for parts?  How about for servicing and maintenance?  

And I’ve always had good experience buying from ECS

Edited by RJT79

2 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

I agree their website doesn't handle shipping costs for small orders or small parts very well.  

Last month I was looking for a small part, the Clutch Slave Cylinder Lock Plate (21 52 1 103 489) for my '73tii, and Ireland was the only vendor that has that part (they make them themselves).  The part is only $15, and they wanted $24.30 for shipping.  The part is about the size of a half dollar and probably weighs less then an ounce.  

I called them and they were happy to drop it in the post with shipping for $5.25.  Sure, I saved less then $20, but it felt reasonable / more reasonable / I wasn't getting screwed on the shipping.  

I guess, when in doubt, ask or email or call.  I think its only the second time I've done business with them and they seem like nice people and reasonable.  

was just about to say this. I have had great luck ordering from IE and a couple of times the shipping didn’t make sense I reached out to them by email and they adjusted it accordingly. Just they are not the fastest at responding so if you need to order a part overnight this can turn it into a week long process. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 4:11 PM, RJT79 said:

If I’m local to 2002AD, do you guys still recommend against using him for parts?  How about for servicing and maintenance?  

And I’ve always had good experience buying from ECS

My experience is that they are OK to deal with on difficult to find / NLA stuff if you go in person and have time to burn.

I miss dealing with Jim in Sun Valley - bought lots from him back around 1990 or so.

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002

==> Contact me if you need a tii or turbo CSV harness - I make a really accurate repro <==