• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002AD

its55
Go to solution Solved by JsnPpp,

Considered buying a part from 2002AD, however, they would not let me know the shipping cost until I committed to ordering the part.  So I declined.  Does anyone else find that sales method to be a bit odd? 😂 Just curious.

I've had this issue when shipping things. You have to have it packed and "ready to go" in order to know the true cost. If you don't already know the size of the box and exact weight, you can't lock on shipping charges. 

Speaking from experience not 2002AD, but it could be the same thing. That being said, a rough estimate should be available (especially if you have the old part and can weigh and measure). Handling charges may add to it so it won't be exactly what you think it will be.

Perhaps they won't pack it up till you have agreed to buy it b/c it takes work to do that and adds labor risk especially if you say "no" at the end.

I'm not affiliated with 2002AD, just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

2 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

I've had this issue when shipping things. You have to have it packed and "ready to go" in order to know the true cost. If you don't already know the size of the box and exact weight, you can't lock on shipping charges. 

Speaking from experience not 2002AD, but it could be the same thing. That being said, a rough estimate should be available (especially if you have the old part and can weigh and measure). Handling charges may add to it so it won't be exactly what you think it will be.

Perhaps they won't pack it up till you have agreed to buy it b/c it takes work to do that and adds labor risk especially if you say "no" at the end.

I'm not affiliated with 2002AD, just thinking out loud.

I understand this, as I sell on eBay occasionally. Before posting I “pre-pack” and weigh to determine the shipping rates. Every other company that supplies to us does the same. No way I’m ever going to commit to a purchase without knowing the total cost. 

• Solution
1 hour ago, its55 said:

I understand this, as I sell on eBay occasionally. Before posting I “pre-pack” and weigh to determine the shipping rates. Every other company that supplies to us does the same. No way I’m ever going to commit to a purchase without knowing the total cost. 

Totally get it, I do the same thing. It's a pain in the butt especially if it doesn't sell, but at least I can lock on the shipping charges.

Cheers,

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

i don't buy it...most, i not all parts sellers have shipped so much that they can, if they want give you an estimate that's close...i do it 5 times a day...sometimes, one buyer may pay a $ more and sometimes a buyer may pay a $ less than what it cost me but it's easier for both parties if they know before paying

i wish i had a quarter for every dollar we've spent as 2002AD...before we left the Valley they were a weekend thing, almost every weekend but that was in the 80's and 90's, things changed, for the worse with them over time...i won't do business with them anymore

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, esty said:

i don't buy it...most, i not all parts sellers have shipped so much that they can, if they want give you an estimate that's close...i do it 5 times a day...sometimes, one buyer may pay a $ more and sometimes a buyer may pay a $ less than what it cost me but it's easier for both parties if they know before paying

i wish i had a quarter for every dollar we've spent as 2002AD...before we left the Valley they were a weekend thing, almost every weekend but that was in the 80's and 90's, things changed, for the worse with them over time...i won't do business with them anymore

well, your last paragraph is good to know, I will scratch them off my list. 

Just now, slowbert said:

You could buy from Ireland, who are more than happy to charge $17 for shipping two small screws and a handful of nuts.

Shipping *can be* a profit center for some vendors.

image.thumb.png.ee35b4af12a56b5b0daf14dd15e3c024.png

Thats why i haven’t bought from them. Their shipping costs have always made them the most expensive for the parts i’ve ordered. Thats why its good to know shipping costs!

Just now, its55 said:

Thats why i haven’t bought from them. Their shipping costs have always made them the most expensive for the parts i’ve ordered. Thats why its good to know shipping costs!

Agreed.  I made the mistake of buying from Ireland early on in my restoration.  I bought a bunch of items, each of which had $15-30 worth of shipping charges which added up over $250 of shipping.

However, they would not ship the whole order until the very last part showed up, which was weeks later - even though I already overpaid to ship each part individually.  They also only occasionally answer emails from customers and rarely answer the phone.  I learned my lesson.

I have been buying from Blunt seemingly every week with their $12 flat rate shipping - and responsive emails.

• Like 4

Depending what you are looking for, Ben Miller at 2002AD, may be the best chance to find that elusive specific part(s).

Roger's Tii has a lot of the same products Ireland sold too.

Steve Peterson & Dealin' Dave at Blunttech have a majority of what BMW has available.

Walloth-Nesch is a great resource. Even if just for reference of what parts are truly available.

• Like 4

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I would never recommend buying anything from 2002AD, I was majorly burned by Ben and his team. Blunttech, Ireland Engineering, Rogers TII, Korman Autoworks, or even FCP Euro (get the part number off of RealOEM first). Any of these websites will take care of you and handle any problems you may have after delivery. The same cannot be said for 2002AD, at least not in my experience.

If you end up deciding to buy from 2002AD anyways, don’t be surprised when they upcharge you after the fact, don’t deliver in a timely manner, and dismiss any real concerns and returns for defective parts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

I would never recommend buying anything from 2002AD, I was majorly burned by Ben and his team. Blunttech, Ireland Engineering, Rogers TII, Korman Autoworks, or even FCP Euro (get the part number off of RealOEM first). Any of these websites will take care of you and handle any problems you may have after delivery. The same cannot be said for 2002AD, at least not in my experience.

If you end up deciding to buy from 2002AD anyways, don’t be surprised when they upcharge you after the fact, don’t deliver in a timely manner, and dismiss any real concerns and returns for defective parts. 

I'd also like to add Pelican Parts your list of good shops to order from, i've had nothing but good experiences with them (although they are local to me, so I tend to go pick up my parts from them).

• Like 4

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

15 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Depending what you are looking for, Ben Miller at 2002AD, may be the best chance to find that elusive specific part(s).

Roger's Tii has a lot of the same products Ireland sold too.

Steve Peterson & Dealin' Dave at Blunttech have a majority of what BMW has available.

Walloth-Nesch is a great resource. Even if just for reference of what parts are truly available.

Recently put in a sizable order at Walloth-Nesch.  Saved $30 over anyone else or combination of, including shipping, thanks in part to their 5% discount deal they had running.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 72MetallicMalaga said:

I'd also like to add Pelican Parts your list of good shops to order from, i've had nothing but good experiences with them (although they are local to me, so I tend to go pick up my parts from them).

I always check Pelican but, so far, they have never been the least expensive, even when trying to use the BMWCCA discount.  They also never seem to have the parts I'm looking for.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, its55 said:

Recently put in a sizable order at Walloth-Nesch.  Saved $30 over anyone else or combination of, including shipping, thanks in part to their 5% discount deal they had running.

You have to be careful with ording from WN. Those 5% coupons are tempting, but when you order enought to beat their 20 Euro coupon, you end up having to pay additional import duties to UPS, wiping out the 5% coupon, and then some. Every once in a while they run free shipping... that's the best deal they have. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive