• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to rebuild a Heater box, YouTube video

ClassDavid

Rebuilding the heater box how to video!

Hello!

Just finished my how to on rebuilding the heater box. Hopefully this can help someone! If I missed anything let me know! This was a fun project. Thanks!

Edited by ClassDavid
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jimk said:

Where does the rebuild kit come from, BMW or others?

19 hours ago, tech71 said:

Yeah, why no info/plug on the vendor who supplied the kit??

He says the kit came from Blunttech but didn't post a link ... All pretty easy to find from Blunt's website, though. 

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

On 3/29/2023 at 9:17 AM, ClassDavid said:

Rebuilding the heater box how to video!

Hello!

Just finished my how to on rebuilding the heater box. Hopefully this can help someone! If I missed anything let me know! This was a fun project. Thanks!

Thanks for making this, David. I definitely need to do this at some point and it feels more manageable now. Btw, where did the 1600ti end up? I think you said in a Youtube comment that it sold, but did it stay in Canada? 

2 hours ago, Aaron R said:

He says the kit came from Blunttech but didn't post a link ... All pretty easy to find from Blunt's website, though. 

Bluntech:

Rebuild kit - https://www.blunttech.com/shop/replacement-parts/climate-control/heater/1355btkt

He also used the valve mount repair kit - https://www.blunttech.com/shop/replacement-parts/climate-control/heater/1356btkt

PRD has this stuff too. I've never ordered from them so can't vouch:

Rebuild kit: https://prdesignsf.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fheater-box-rebuild-kit

Mount repair kit: https://prdesignsf.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fheater-valve-mount-reinforcement-kit&page=1

Its a good, useful vid but hardly ground breaking, comprehensive instruction exists right here on the FAQ.

The Blunt Tech kit is great, saves a ton of time and scrounging, well worth the cost.

The most painful part is the cost for a new core/ fan motor if required, I needed both.

Dont reinstall your old core unless you are certain its serviceable (pressure test)

Dont use rivets to resemble, use readily available hardware( washer head bolts. self lock nuts) from Ace/Home Depot.

Reduces the probability of cracking the aged plastic😉

Dont over tighten 

IMG_1684.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Tech71 is correct:  "Don't use rivets to resemble, use readily available hardware( washer head bolts. self lock nuts) from Ace/Home Depot." 

Here are No-Rivet options a la Ace Hardware to connect the two halves..

Round-head Bolts (photos 1 and 2) bolts, washers, and nuts and brass Flat V-Head (photos 3, 4, and 5) bolts, washers, and nuts.

Round Heads:  They are proud so you need to build up the gasket/sealer material a little so the box surface sits flush.

V-Heads:  Can be made to sit flush.  Use some sort of angled scraper, sharp digger, handheld drill bit (DO NOT use a drill!), etc. to CAREFULLY, CAREFULLY, CAREFULLY make a V inset (photo 5) around the hole into which the V head will sit.  These are not proud, so no sealer build-up needed.  

Both work well.

ROUND HEAD

IMG_3038.thumb.JPG.9ba23202562c3e9ed2e9c880d7d80857.JPG

IMG_30382.thumb.JPG.55fa5d39aa49bbcbe71ff4631e6b9675.JPG

FLAT V HEAD

IMG_3237.thumb.jpeg.b8a232ceacbe957a0ea213c044c3e883.jpeg

IMG_3234.thumb.jpeg.f54c9b10c70db7199287a26e3d47bcc6.jpeg

IMG_3232.jpeg.a37e756066a1311dd4411b1832ae23d4.jpeg

Edited by 2002#3
clarified text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2002#3 said:

Tech71 is correct:  "Don't use rivets to resemble, use readily available hardware( washer head bolts. self lock nuts) from Ace/Home Depot." 

If pop rivet washers are used on the back side, the rivet expands beyond the washer, not in the plastic.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.