• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Renewing a valve cover (cosmetic)

schuetz1619

Twenty years ago a repair shop crinkle-painted my valve cover without request or permission. I was ticked but grew to like it. As you can see from the picture, the paint is now a mess. I'm deciding whether to strip and repaint or strip and not repaint.

(1) If I were to repaint, any recommendations on the paint to use for maximum longevity? Best practices for preparation?

(2) If I didn't repaint, how to achieve a relaitvely stock appearance?

Any tips / ideas gladly accepted.

Many thanks.

DSCN1969.JPG

Adhesion would have been better if they took the time to lay on some primer.

I like the bare aluminum look myself, you could get that with some light media blasting.

If you go painted, remove what's left of the crinkle, wipe down with metal prep and for sure put on a coat of primer.

2 part epoxy primer is best for adhesion to bare, clean metal.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Stock appearance: have it vapor blasted. Blasting with media in a blasting cabinet will goof it up. The only exception I’ve found is plastic beads low pressure.

Paint: use an epoxy primer then a 2 pack paint of some kind. Stay away from the rattle cans. If you don’t have a gun, just go get a harbor freight special. The smaller trim Gun they sell works great. 

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tzei said:

Seal the breather compartment good if u gonna get it mediablasted. You don’t want any of that media in your valvetrain.

+1
Yes the breather labyrinth of mediablasted Valvecovers has cost many engines. 
I would ony tumble stuff like that and never blast any engine parts that have crevices or holes.

Or open the breather tap and screw the lid back on after cleaning.

Edited by uai

43 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Really? I’d enjoy seeing documentation of such. -KB

Those bearings were new ...
200km with glassbeads in the valvecover labyrinth (not my parts)

img_20170810_180128_h7mj4q.jpg

201708102031328661.jpg

enough room for a good spoon full of abrasives

P5050005.jpg

Edited by uai
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tzei said:

Seal the breather compartment good if u gonna get it mediablasted. You don’t want any of that media in your valvetrain.

Man I just always make the assumption that having a part media blasted goes hand in hand with cleaning the shit out of it when you get it back. What was it Jules in Pulp Fiction said about making assumptions?

To clean the breather cavity I have used brake cleaner, compressed air and flexible bottle brushes.  Tumbling will leave residue just like blasting but I prefer vapor honing with matte clear CeraKote ceramic.  It gives the correct OEM finish as vapor honing will make it look a bit too bright and you can clean it with Kleenex, seriously.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

6 hours ago, HBChris said:

To clean the breather cavity I have used brake cleaner, compressed air and flexible bottle brushes.  Tumbling will leave residue just like blasting but I prefer vapor honing with matte clear CeraKote ceramic.  It gives the correct OEM finish as vapor honing will make it look a bit too bright and you can clean it with Kleenex, seriously.

I would only rely on an opened cavity.
If you tumble with the correct material it's not such an issue

WWW.WALTHER-TROWAL.COM

Trowal bietet für alle denkbaren Anwendungsbereiche ein lückenloses Schleifkörperprogramm. In über 60 Jahren wurde ein ausgereiftes Sortiment an Schleif- und Polierkörpern in den verschiedensten Materialien, Größen, geometrischen Formen und...