• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling a tii: seeking advice

schuetz1619
Go to solution Solved by NYNick,

I have no experience selling cars and would like to seek the advice of those who do. 

The time is coming when advancing age will require selling my model '71 euro tii. 

I've driven it for 100K and kept it up properly in the 30+ years since a complete restoration. The current engine has 40K, and the injection system, MM 5-speed trans., and all hydraulics are new. It drives beautifully but I only drive it perhaps a thousand miles a year. Foreseeing a sale in the not-too-distant future, I want to have the car in the best condition to attract buyers.

Do you think is would be worthwhile in terms of eventual sale to undertake a rebuild of the 100K, old-rubber suspension/steering? I do have all the parts in hand.

I replaced one tie-rod end and the center link years ago when they loosened up, but nothing else.  All now works well and there is no necessity to do anything. But would a largely stock rebuild likely yield a significantly better price? ("Stock" = all OEM stock parts except springs [W/N standard] and suspension bushings [Ireland urethane].)

Thanks in advance for whatever thoughts you may have.

My own 2 cents:

1. The bulk of the value comes from the fact that it's a 71 tii, refreshing components which are not broken will not result in a huge return. I'd only consider it if you can do the work yourself (i.e. not paying someone else to do it)

2. I'd stay away for non-stock components, especially including urethane bushings, which make the ride harsher, and their long-term reliability has not been evaluated as closely as BMW has evaluated their stock rubber 

Edited by Themis
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Themis said:

2. I'd stay away for non-stock components, especially including urethane bushings, which make the ride harsher, and their long-term reliability has not been evaluated as closely as BMW has evaluated their stock rubber 

Ireland urethane bushings have been on cars actively for over twenty years and on literally thousands of 2002's.  What exactly is your argument?  As long as you aren't going to use urethane drivetrain mounts, the ride result is firm (similar to fresh rubber) but without the degradation effect of old squishy rubber. 

Fresh bushings, steering, and a cleaned-up undercarriage goes a long way.  In addition to the investment-strategy buyers, the car would now be appealing to the buyer segment who would actually want to drive and enjoy a well sorted car.

However, define "significantly better price".  A thirty year-old "restoration" is likely not considered a restoration at this point.

my 0.02

• Like 4

• Solution

What you're proposing to do to refresh the suspension is the easy stuff. The market pays for high quality, good looking, well maintained original roundies with zero rust. Present that car (if you have it) to the marketplace and the buyers will beat a path to your door. The new suspension parts can be included in the sale as an after thought.

• Like 5

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I agree with the above. Everything is in perfect alignment for a smooth sale. In this order.

1. a '71 euro tii(I would call it the most desirable 2002 model on the planet)(excluding the Diana's and their type)

2. 40,000 miles on an engine hooked up to a Metri Mechanic 5sp

3. a 30 year old restoration - extentisivity unknown unless you have photos and receipts

4. new hydralics

Finally, and most important, 175 professioanl grade photos.

I conclude from your post you want your love to go to knowledgabe, caring, experienced owner who will see your car through your eyes and also do what ever it needs in the future.

A well-prepared ad posted here on 2002faq is the perfect starting point.  I would wish you good luck with your sale but I don't believe in luck and you certainly don't need it.

Steve ONeill

• Like 1

Why not list it on the FAQ Cars For Sale as is.  New owners on this board can't resist working on cars.

I've never seen a post by a new owner that said it was his dream car and it doesn't need a nickels worth of work.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

To get the best money, paint it Inka. If it's Inka already, then make sure to fit an LSD to accompany the 5 spd. If it's already got an LSD then you're golden.

Put it on BAT. Oh, Recaros will top if off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

my 2 cents as a 72tii owner and someone who follows the market pretty closely

1. box stock is best for maximizing value on sale. I have Recaro's in my tii because they are comfy and hold you in place, but I'd put the OEM seats back in as long as they are in decent shape.

2. Don't change color. You'll never get every nook and cranny unless you completely disassemble the car to a shell only. 

3. Urethane bushings will not enhance resell value IMHO, and they significantly affect how harshly your car rides. ask me how I know. My next refurbish chore is to get rid of the urethane on my car.

4. If your paint is ok, do your best to make it look as good as possible. A little patina is good.

5. A LSD would be a plus, especially if it's a genuine 2002 diff

Sell it on BAT. As someone else mentioned. professional photos are a big plus, plus a chronology of your ownership. Owning the car for the last 30 years is adding value to the price.

IMHO

Edited by gwb72tii
  • Like 3

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

What is rewarded on Bring a Trailer, I'm sorry to say, isn't rebuilt steering and front and rear suspension—what's rewarded is the APPEARANCE of rebuilt steering and front and rear suspension. That is, saying "all new tie rods, ball joints, and bushings" won't move the value, but dry ice blasting the undercarriage WILL move the value. It's stupid, but it's the way it is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Thank you, Rob. I appreciate it.

I just finished "Ran When Parked." Fascinating—and terrifying. I've just come on a barn find unknown by anyone but the barn owner (including the car owner, who died) and am about to give it a look. I'll keep you in mind.

Thank you for all you've done over the decades for all of us.

P.S. I'm pricing the dry-ice blasting. 

Schuetz1619

Eugene, OR

Edited by schuetz1619
  • Like 2

Gordon, thanks so much for your kind words.

I recently wrote two pieces for Hagerty on how to sell a vintage car. The links are below. Nothing in here is rocket science, but it's astonishing how bad many people are at this.

Part I

Hack_Mech_How_to_Sell_Car_PT1_Thumb.jpg
WWW.HAGERTY.COM

Rob Siegel has been looking for a winter project car, and it hasn't been easy. So for his own sanity he decided to offer some pointers to sellers.

Part II

Hack-Mechanic-Rob-Siegel-Car-Salesman-Th
WWW.HAGERTY.COM

Rob Siegel shares car-selling tips about photos and videos, price, the difference between an offer and a commitment, and the passing of papers.

• Like 1

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

3 hours ago, thehackmechanic said:

Gordon, thanks so much for your kind words.

I recently wrote two pieces for Hagerty on how to sell a vintage car. The links are below. Nothing in here is rocket science, but it's astonishing how bad many people are at this.

Part I

Hack_Mech_How_to_Sell_Car_PT1_Thumb.jpg
WWW.HAGERTY.COM

Rob Siegel has been looking for a winter project car, and it hasn't been easy. So for his own sanity he decided to offer some pointers to sellers.

Part II

Hack-Mechanic-Rob-Siegel-Car-Salesman-Th
WWW.HAGERTY.COM

Rob Siegel shares car-selling tips about photos and videos, price, the difference between an offer and a commitment, and the passing of papers.

Rob, polyester plaid suits you. Lookin good

• Haha 1