• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this 2002

Deuce

Hello all -

I've had my eye on picking up a 2002 for going on a year now. Had one when I was young and trying to return to my youth I guess... Looking for a fixer upper to turn into a weekend driver and leaning toward a roundie. Want to do a five speed swap and since I'm retired have plenty of time to tinker with the project. I've seen a couple nice lower priced cars come up for sale online but before I can take a look they have sold. Now I see this car on eBay and it seems to be a possibility. Rust does not seem too bad and it's theoretically had the engine overhauled 5k ago with performance upgrades. Body is straight and the 5 speed is included with the sale. I'd pull out the bolt in roll cage and return it to a stock interior...

I'm unable to inspect the car so a little uneasy bidding on it but after losing out on a few others I'm tempted to at least put my hat in the ring. If anyone sees any major red flags in this ad or has any history on the car please let me know. It may go for way beyond what I'd be willing to bid but who knows?  Thank you for the assist!

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

MOMO steering wheel. BMW logo shifter. Free Local Pickup. Bosch electric fan – IPK 12V 0 130 701 229. Original CV joints and shafts from 3.64 differential. MSD coil part no. 8202. MSD 6A part no. 6200 and amplifier (?. ).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tech71 said:

1678761?

Does that sound right for a 71 2002?

Yep...that's a pre- "modell 71" 1971 car, so it would have the silver dollar instruments, short rear bumper ends, no rubber moldings on the bumpers, no knee moldings, short console, etc.  the 166/167XXXX VINs ran from the beginning of 1968 US spec production up to 1680000, when the factory shifted over to 2570001 sometime in April 1971.   

So if it's advertised as a '71, it is.

mike

PS  based on the visible rust, I'd want to see several pictures of the trunk's innards--both the inner rear wheel arches, the gas tank area and the spare tire well with the spare out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Lots of bodywork needed, plenty of visible rust around: the rear wheel wells including the rockers, the roof, the front lip. The description seems relatively honest but does minimize/omit the rust issues. Rust bubbles on door. Driver front grille broken and missing a slat. Is the kidney on upside down? 

Seems like an honest project, although it definitely falls into the "not currently running" category (no battery). Also weird that the brake hard lines were supposedly upgraded/replaced yet the rubber flex hoses remain, at least in the rear. Brake reservoir flex lines are toasted. Looks like something strange going on with the pedal box? A test drive would be illuminating, because if it doesn't really run or stop then it doesn't have a whole lot going for it. 

If the rocker rust is the worst of it, that's not bad, but yeah, more photos or an in-person look would be best.

• Like 1

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

The good thing is it needs paint so when you repair the rust you won't mess up the paint (I'm not being sarcastic). It all comes down to the price and your willingness to do your own repairs. You'll go broke and end up upside-down if you hire out the body work.

• Like 2

engine small.jpg