• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting closer

ingramlee

This cheap little harbor freight lift worked perfectly for the 4 speed that's currently in the car, so theoretically it should work for this 245, Right? Just trying to decide if I want to do it before or after Mid-America Fest in June. I'm not in any hurry since the 4 speed doesn't really bother me too much on the highway. Oh well... We'll see.

IMG_0225.jpg

• Like 4

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

I read lots of horror stories about that transmission jack failing. So I built my own using a heavy duty cart and a motorcycle jack. It works great and is much sturdier than the Horror Freight one.

I bench pressed a transmission and held it place once. I can still remember the burning pain i felt in my arms. Work smarter not harder!

My shortcut was having assembled engine trany clutch on my run stand, removed it mounted it on the subframe lifted the car way high in front, slipped the assembly in on a craftsman motorcycle jack, moved it up while I lowered the car. The tii plenum was the high spot in the assembly.

5 hours ago, Hans said:

I would adjust the center of gravity before anything.

Thanks, but this is just a photo- op. The trans will be properly balanced for install.

• Like 1

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

On a 2002?  The darned thing only weighs #49 lbs.  Just huck it in there.

Now, a 4wd ZF5, that, that you might want a pry bar or sommat.

t

got the diff swap down to 2 hours, from driving in to driving out.  And never felt rushed.

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

13 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

…OR, you can over-engineer the solution just for the fun of it 

IMG_6552.MOV 57.96 MB · 2 downloads  

Hopefully video uploads ok

Awesome... Now if you could get that baby to move in and out. 😁