• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using rebar as DIY sway bar?

Devilish_02

Want to say first and foremost I got nothing against young people. I believe children are the future. And, if we teach them well, we can let them lead the way.  That being said, I do think there is a legitimate safety concern so I am posting it here. 

Supposedly, two young 02 owner-entrepreneurs here in Austin are planning on starting a side hustle selling BarWoke sway bars made out of upcycled re-bar. I feel for them because they are all excited, even showed me a logo yesterday on our drive, but that can't be safe, right?

There were only 3 of us on the drive, and I don't want to call anyone out, but @KaneT and @k3vin were there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Everybody's wave breaks a little different

Wow, I suggest they stock up on liability insurance.

If this is rebar that has been  rolled, formed, heat treated and tempered to some metallurgical semblance of sway bar steel.. maybe.

But then again I have no idea if that’s even possible

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Terrible idea!  Rebar is full of flaws in the metal--I cringe every time I see a trailer hitch or frame repaired by welding in rebar.   It's fine inside concrete--it's intended function--but not where it's stressed in compression, torsion or by bending...like a swaybar.  My welding instructor told us never use rebar for anything but reinforcing concrete or staking up plants.   

Hope you can dissuade them, or at least have 'em talk to someone who knows about various types of steel.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Not a structural engineer, but know enough to be able to observe that rebar is made from mild steel.  Typically grade 40 or grade 60.  This relates to tensile strength, which is what reinforced concrete doesn't have.  Sway bars are typically made from a chromium molybdenum steel allow (chrome moly) - often 4130 or 4340 alloys.  Sway bars do not need tensile strength.  Rather, they rely almost entirely on stiffness related to rotational (or torsional) resistance.  COMPLETELY different characteristics.  

I applaud "upcycling" things for useful purposes.  But this does not sound like a functional use.  I don't know that it would be "unsafe".  Just not functional for the intended purpose in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

2 hours ago, Devilish_02 said:

Want to say first and foremost I got nothing against young people. I believe children are the future. And, if we teach them well, we can let them lead the way.  That being said, I do think there is a legitimate safety concern so I am posting it here. 

Supposedly, two young 02 owner-entrepreneurs here in Austin are planning on starting a side hustle selling BarWoke sway bars made out of upcycled re-bar. I feel for them because they are all excited, even showed me a logo yesterday on our drive, but that can't be safe, right?

There were only 3 of us on the drive, and I don't want to call anyone out, but @KaneT and @k3vin were there. 

I just don’t see what the big deal is. The first gen are going to be powder coated so it’s not like anyone will know it’s rebar.

I told you how important this start up was to help with the lawyer fees from the home made baby car seat idea 2 years ago. 

Last time I tell you anything @Devilish_02

Edited by k3vin
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, k3vin said:

I just don’t see what the big deal is. The first gen are going to be powered coated so it’s not like anyone will know it’s rebar.

I told you how important this start up was to help with the lawyer fees from the home made baby car seat idea 2 years ago. 

Last time I tell you anything @Devilish_02

What??? I thought you guys were serious. 

So, I'm guessing your "nitrous-tang" Ford engine in the project car is not a real thing either? 

In my defense, @KaneT rolled up with the curb feelers, which screams anything goes. I tell ya, kids today. 

Edited by Devilish_02

Everybody's wave breaks a little different

2 hours ago, tech71 said:

Wow, I suggest they stock up on liability insurance.

If this is rebar that has been  rolled, formed, heat treated and tempered to some metallurgical semblance of sway bar steel.. maybe.

But then again I have no idea if that’s even possible

This is the correct answer…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…