• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thief among us. Beware

Scottjeffrey

Although I realize that there are many many people out there who are as dishonest as they come, for the most part all you guys have been a lot of help and I’m learning a lot. Unfortunately, we have to deal with those types of people every day but I commend you all on all the information that I’ve gotten..

only being a newbie, I have a lot to learn and I’m looking forward to it. Thank you again boys (and girls) I hope to be putting some of these tips and tricks to use pretty soon 

18 hours ago, 02Les said:

It's kinda sad that, apparetly, most responders here want to make fun of this.

Thats because its so commonplace, it borders on the absurd to be taken in by it.

Sorry, but there it is

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

Let's hope that one, or all them get scammed for $$$$

Posting in the thread brings it back to the forefront for more to see. 

I'm doing my part! :D 

You curmudgeon! :D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

For me, it's almost always PayPal and paying the extra couple percent for the purchase protection.  I think I bought something from Marshal and just did it as friends, but he's not scamming me out of a hundred bucks.  I suppose I only buy stuff on here from people I've interacted with for a while...  @ray_? Yeah, always use protection. 😘 (And what's with all the 320i / e10 shit? Obviously I missed something...)

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

17 minutes ago, irdave said:

For me, it's almost always PayPal and paying the extra couple percent for the purchase protection.  I think I bought something from Marshal and just did it as friends, but he's not scamming me out of a hundred bucks.  I suppose I only buy stuff on here from people I've interacted with for a while...  @ray_? Yeah, always use protection. 😘 (And what's with all the 320i / e10 shit? Obviously I missed something...)

Yes.

You did!

:D

Ray

Don't be so sure on PayPal. Even with paying the extra fees, they have left me hanging out to dry. I "bought" a bunch of E30 parts from Europe, sent PayPal pics of the package with nothing in it and they said they couldn't help me. And yes someone referring you to someone else who has the part you are looking for, I have always found that to be a scam. Funny how they always do it via PM and not on the regular forum. Just my .02.

16 minutes ago, Rennsportguy said:

Don't be so sure on PayPal. Even with paying the extra fees, they have left me hanging out to dry. I "bought" a bunch of E30 parts from Europe, sent PayPal pics of the package with nothing in it and they said they couldn't help me. And yes someone referring you to someone else who has the part you are looking for, I have always found that to be a scam. Funny how they always do it via PM and not on the regular forum. Just my .02.

Keep escalating it on Paypal. Once I finally got to an actual phone call with a U.S. - based rep, I got a bit of resolution (once). But yeah, Paypal is not what it once was. 

Ray

18 hours ago, 02Les said:

Let's hope that one, or all them get scammed for $$$$

Umm, ouch?

I think we've ALL come out missing a little bit here or there, because it's really not possible

to live in a society and not get taken once in a while.  As my science- obsessed son says,

"taking others' food is a sound biological strategy."  

It's the price of playing. 

Sometimes you go in knowing 'it sounds too good to be true, but it's too good not to gamble'

and that's what it is,

but it's always tougher when you miss it, and really get scammed.  And it happens.

Sometimes maliciously, but occasionally not, just by accident.

t

got cut off by a Tesla in traffic today.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If they assure me they are a Nigerian Prince,

Who has a bone dry salvage yard, and are funding a local hospitals pro bono work, I will always happily do a direct credit card payment… with my best mates card😜

I got stitched up on a pair of Recaro seats….. luckily it was donkeys ago and they weren’t worth much then, plus it was only on colour (badly died which the pics didn’t show) worked out ok in the end, it happens to many of us, personally I find the gentle ribbing/banter a good reminder to be careful, remember trust no one and suspect everyone😂😂😂 kidding

Edited by SydneyTii

• 2 weeks later...

Caution regarding oliverperry714@gmail.com

He responded to a WTB post with a brand newly created profile and then balked and went radio silent when I asked for a fresh picture of the item and some credentials.  I also then found a post from a different forum warning about the email.xxx.png.2f85c95b7ef47c02b57379369795412e.pngimage.thumb.png.0c48946842459c58ba9f59a7e2691fff.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1