• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

235/5 Rebuild/Freshen

markmac

Having sh&t for luck finding anyone to help me with this project.  I'll spare the details, I have all the parts to build a complete 235/5 (one is assmebled in the back two sections of a JH trans that really looks good.  Retro Engineering in the UK and GR Box in Italy both can do the work with their eyes closed, unfortunately the shipping costs that I am seeing (like a grand each way) makes it kind of a non-starter.  I have heard folks talking about Metric Mechanic, not so sure about them though.  Bill Holmes used to be the go-to guy, no idea what he is up to any more and if he is still doing  BMW stuff, other than that fresh out of ideas for sources here in the US.

• Like 1

I bought one from Jack Fahuna that he had rebuilt a couple of years ago....then I ended up selling it. Jack transferred his one year warranty (valid upon installation) to the new buyer. Haven't heard from the buyer since. Also bought one from Retro....shipping was around $300.

• Like 1

Shipping costs are expected to drop dramatically over the next few months due to slow down in the economy and the resolution of numerous supply chain backups. 

Edited by williamggruff
  • Like 1

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

You may want to look into folks that deal with freight.  The run of the mill Fedex, UPS et al are always crazy high.  You may want to ask Retro (sp?) to see what they use.  You may be able to leverage Retro's better shipping costs, and wrap the shipping into the total cost of the rebuild. 

• Like 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Thanks for the tips.  Option B could be to throw all of it up for sale as a lot, the only problem is that not being a 'transmission expert' I really can't state the condition (accurately) and that makes it hard to price and ultimately sell (and since I am not a shyster that sells garbage, it makes it tough to go that route).

Have you called Bill Watson @ Road Rockets?

He did my Turbo 4 speed and said he could build my 235/5 that is truly apart in a box.

That said, cost will be on the order of MM.

Or

There has been talk about Pete's gears in Hayward, San Leandro, or some such.

Tho' I have been too lazy to reach out to find out.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, markmac said:

Bill Holmes used to be the go-to guy, no idea what he is up to any more and if he is still doing

Still working out of his house shop in Ramona as far as I know.  His son was doing a lot of the heavy lifting, but Bill was still getting his hands dirty last time I checked.  He refreshed my Getrag 235/5 a few years ago.  Try giving him a call (760) 709-2002.

Mark92131

IMG_1152.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

22 hours ago, markmac said:

Option B could be to throw all of it up for sale as a lot,...

If you decide to let it all go but choose option C, (selling the 235 and the JH box separately), I would consider the JH box, since I used one to supply the parts for my current 235 and it worked out great. I have another 235 that might need a few synchros from it.