• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOLY MOLEY !! a '72 tii just sold for $93K !!!!!

OriginalOwner

I've recently (as in last month) gotten to the top of the mountain - my car is perfect now, runs as good if not better than new and has effective A/C, bluetooth stereo, 5-speed, etc while maintaining a stock appearance. Every mechanical component has been fixed, updated or replaced. Starts right up and I've been chasing this level of perfection since acquiring the car and it's been a loooooooooooong road. I'd hate to add up the receipts but I'm sure it's not far off from the sale price of this car. If I could do it all over again and had the foresight I do now, I'd pony up the money for a car like this and just enjoy driving, not tinkering or waiting on a shop to get to the work in a timely fashion HA! (and hopefully do it right). Life is too short! So my POV is $93k is fair for a wonderful, fully sorted tii in the most desirable color (to most). Yes I agree that the polished motor and speakers in the console are not desirable, not to mention lack of A/C / 5-speed which are desirable upgrades IMHO and would add to the value - but that can be addressed. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU SPEND ON A VINTAGE CAR THERE WILL ALWAYS STILL BE WORK TO BE DONE TO GET IT TO THAT BUYERS LEVEL OF SATISFACTION. Hey, there are tiis that have sold for over $125k so from that POV this car was a bargain. 2 cents - Rich 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fastricky said:

… Hey, there are 1972 tiis that have sold for over $170K

Just want to make sure we have all the contextual info…

And, yes, this Inka car was not that car in terms of the quality of the restoration.

But maybe my number isn’t the tippy top number for a 1972 tii…

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Just a random comment:

We often refer to the 1972’s as “special” because they have the sometimes-problematic plastic intake runners, along with the type 121 head and notchless firewall. But not all 1972 tii’s had them.

VIN’s 2761944 through 2762014 and VIN’s 2762373 through 2762629 had aluminum intake runners, type E12 heads, firewall notches, etc. From the factory. And @m-tuner’s (now former) car is one of these original aluminum intake runner cars, replete with original E12 head and firewall notch. This sale, well-sold in the current market, suggests to me that the actual dollar premium associated with the beloved plastic runners may be little or none-existent. But still — as an owner of a ‘73 tii, a model year where all runners were aluminum — I still think those plastic runners have a certain je ne sais quoi!

Just rambling…

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RonfromIN said:

Not long ago I overpaid for a Canadian Ti. I’m 75. I’ve worked hard all my life and I’ve always wanted a Ti. I’ll sleep a little better tonight. 

No Ron, you can’t overpay for a ti: the bragging rights alone are priceless. It’s the fastest way to shut up those “tii guys” — of which I’m one! 😉

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Just a random comment:

We often refer to the 1972’s as “special” because they have the sometimes-problematic plastic intake runners, along with the type 121 head and notchless firewall. But not all 1972 tii’s had them.

VIN’s 2761944 through 2762014 and VIN’s 2762373 through 2762629 had aluminum intake runners, type E12 heads, firewall notches, etc. From the factory. And @m-tuner’s (now former) car is one of these original aluminum intake runner cars, replete with E12 head and firewall notch. This sale, well-sold in the current market, suggests to me that the actual dollar premium associated with the beloved plastic runners may be little or none-existent. But still — as an owner of a ‘73 tii, where all runners were aluminum — I still think those plastic runners have a certain je ne sais quoi!

Just rambling…

Regards,

Steve

As part of my mountain climbing I replaced the plastic runners on my car with the aluminum ones. The calibration/tuning had to be completely redone as the volume of the aluminum ones is larger according to my tech, plus there were some other mods required as it isn't plug and play. I did the swap as one of the runners had a crack and I wanted to not have to wait for another to develop a crack, and have a permanent solution. I did notice improved performance after this swap FWIW, but maybe that just came down to a masterful tune-up. 

• Like 1

This is what it takes to restore a 1972 or 1973 2002Tii. $93,002 is on the #1 condition side of the spectrum &  what I consider fair market value for a concours quality Tii. If the seller paid for a top dollar restoration with full documentation along the way, probably lost money on the actual billed work.  

• Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

No doubt, the seller did well and had the right buyers in the tent at the right time. As the saying goes, you need to know when to hold them and when to fold them. As ‘02 owners and enthusiasts, we can all feel good about the results, even folks like me that don’t own a tii. I could probably sell mine for quite a bit more than I paid for it four plus years ago, but the car’s not for sale and would be difficult to replace in kind. So, as with other appreciating assets that are buy and hold, I think I’ll just go out to garage, take her for a spin and appreciate it…

• Like 2

this was the most charming photo of that car

IMGP1087.jpg?fit=2048%2C1536

Although this one's appealing too.  I like freckles.

1972_bmw_2002tii_IMG_0341-4-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C2048

That car was un-molested, as they say.  A survivor. 

I wish there were more before photos.

That paint just looked a little thirsty for a bottle of #7

image.thumb.jpeg.977b7cb6030d6395264d444236947148.jpeg

and maybe a little Gummi Pflege for the windshield seal.

(Re)Newness is over-rated and over-priced.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find the excessive talk and continual stream of threads/comments regarding the monetary value of our cars a bit nauseating and unbecoming.

For a car that “was” an enthusiast’s fun car …. it’s now been reduced to a commodity.

Great job @OriginalOwner      let’s keep these value threads coming and rip that bandaid off.  I’m guilty of it too, my wife now calls our car the down payment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I find the excessive talk and continual stream of threads/comments regarding the monetary value of our cars a bit nauseating and unbecoming.

For a car that “was” an enthusiast’s fun car …. it’s now been reduced to a commodity.

Great job guys.

That train left the station a while ago. 

But you know what else @AceAndrew, you're right! It's not fun for me to treat my 2002 like a commodity. I bought it because it's fun to drive. I'm done watching auctions and thinking about the value of the car.  Screw it. My kids can worry about that when I'm dead. Thanks for the perspective. I owe you a beer or three.

• Like 4