• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOLY MOLEY !! a '72 tii just sold for $93K !!!!!

OriginalOwner

Hey I don't drive my car because it's an investment, it's a car I wanted since I was a kid and the price has just come with the times of it being 50 years old and relatively few left that are in great shape. My OCD is strong with my old cars and I gain a tremendous amount of enjoyment knowing/feeling that all is to spec, running as good as can be, clean / tidy and aesthetically pleasing. I drive mine everywhere until the snow flies, but the value is just another aspect/reality of '02 ownership in 2022. Maybe not to everyone's liking but it is what it is. Do I wish the car was still as affordable and easy to source parts for cheaply as used to be? Of course! But what are you gonna do? 

• Like 3

this is my car, it  is rare ,one of 685 cars, the early plastic 121 engine was known for air leaks, and engine fires, I fixed a lot of them, this is a well documented one owner car, I have 3 years of work in it, and its STOCK ,all matching drivetrain, these cars were never cheap, I could not afford them when they were new, 6k you could buy a 427 corvete for that , keep your cars and treat them like gold, that hole on the cowl was drilled  by a mechanic to use a long screw driver to set the points, it was not there on a orginal car, it was a common thing for flat rate mechanics to do

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, m-tuner said:

this is my car, it  is rare ,one of 685 cars, the early plastic 121 engine was known for air leaks, and engine fires, I fixed a lot of them, this is a well documented one owner car, I have 3 years of work in it, and its STOCK ,all matching drivetrain, these cars were never cheap, I could not afford them when they were new, 6k you could buy a 427 corvete for that , keep your cars and treat them like gold, that hole on the cowl was drilled  by a mechanic to use a long screw driver to set the points, it was not there on a orginal car, it was a common thing for flat rate mechanics to do

Congrats on the sale, beautiful car. Can't imagine wanting to part with it after all that work! 

thank you charles,Jsnpp,resra mike, and others, the market is down  maybe 20% from may, jjust look at the stock market , and its going to get worse, hold tight, the market will come back, your cars are like gold , and you get to drive them, get them insured for what you think they are worth and enjoy them       Bruce

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

I find the excessive talk and continual stream of threads/comments regarding the monetary value of our cars a bit nauseating and unbecoming.

For a car that “was” an enthusiast’s fun car …. it’s now been reduced to a commodity.

Great job @OriginalOwner      let’s keep these value threads coming and rip that bandaid off.  I’m guilty of it too, my wife now calls our car the down payment.

Reduced to a commodity or elevated to a collectible? Regardless, it’s just a car to enjoy and have fun in. I prefer working on the car myself and calling it maintenance, not an “investment.” I still wash with a car sponge mit and dry with a terry cloth towel. I’ll leave the clay baring and ceramic coating to those more OCD than me. If I “show” the car, the doors are open and interested folks, especially kids, welcome to sit behind the wheel if they’ve never sat in an ‘02 before. Hopefully the new owner puts some real miles on their new purchase. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

For datapoint/historical/VIN considerations .....

I just noticed that this '72tii doesn't have that "tii hole in the front cowling" ..... maybe it was there but got filled in during the fixing up for sale process ??

image.png.26d08368dc561f5447f00f364aa0af4c.png

Cheers,

Carl

Carl,

I believe the extra hole on the right side of the cowl, just over the distributor, (1.) has nothing to do with tii’s in particular — it’s been found on injected and carbed ‘02’s, and (2.) is found on a small minority of cars.

The “near-consensus” on the right-side hole appears to be that it aided in the adjustment and replacement of points. And it was added post-factory.

Of course, we’re at a complete loss as to the square taillight cars that have right and left holes in the cowl! 😳

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Found this photo while cleaning out some files this morning. It’s from a rally in 2018. It was raining like hell that day. Creepy part is both the cars in the photo ended up crashing. The mustang wasn’t too bad, but the Tii was totaled. The wreck was sold to someone in Texas.

5CAC56BB-7C4A-4A93-9CEA-1169439EA591.jpeg

On 9/23/2022 at 8:32 PM, OriginalOwner said:

anybody want a 2-fer deal on a pair of '74tii's, both in great condition, both are SoCal-only cars, both still have diving board bumpers, and a few other important details ??

asking for a friend ...... er, relative ......

Cheers,

Carl

Noooooooo!!!!!!  You wouldn’t dare!

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

a 2-Fer ....... who could, or can, possibly resist a SoCal '74tii 2-Fer for  ..... let's see, since the market is hot  .....  $120K as the starting point ??!!??

And the fact that neither has the dreaded "hole in the cowling" ...... that's gotta be worth another $10K, just because !!

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Haha 2

On 9/24/2022 at 7:36 AM, JohnS said:

This makes me want to put my Inka 73tii up for sale.  Then I'll be able to afford the Toyota Tacoma 4WD truck that I want 😄

I showed this post to my wife and she just started breaking up laughing...  "You've been saying that for the last 20+ years!"

As usual, (I've learned over time), she's absolutely correct... 😁

• Haha 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️