• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use this?

Schon '02

Historically, there have been quite a few offered.

The trick is to get it in plane with the engine mounts, or it twists the

engine out of alignment with the driveshaft.  And I never thought

the valve cover bolts were up to much shear load.

I have found that reinforcing the driver's (left) side and using the 

brick mount have been sufficient.  

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

18 hours ago, norrinradd said:

Brick mount ?

The driver's side mount comes in two different styles, brick, or hockey puck.  Toby's referring to the rectangular style mount.

Genuine® - BMW 2002 1975 Engine Mount

The bracket that the mount attaches to is known to crack, so it's a good idea to reinforce it.  

Driver Side Motor Mount Reinforcement - BMW 2002 and other '02 - BMW 2002  FAQ

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/?q=reinforce engine mount&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=8

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
added the bit about reinforcement
  • Like 1

I installed the single strut bar from TEP with the brace mounting on valve cover.  It stopped the engine shake at idle but when I went over 80mph it transferred a massive resonance/vibration throughout the car.  Removed the brace and kept the strut bar and no more issues with the high speed NVH.

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd

This takes me back to my Fast and Furious days with a S13 Nissan 240sx.  We used a small shock absorber mounted to the top of the engine (SR20DET in my case).

EDIT: shoot, now it looks like the market is saturated with Chinese knock offs of the setup.  That's one part of the market I DON'T miss.  Design a decent part and it'd be knocked off faster than you could blink.

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

EDIT: shoot, now it looks like the market is saturated with Chinese knock offs of the setup.  That's one part of the market I DON'T miss.  Design a decent part and it'd be knocked off faster than you could blink.

Lol- I purchased a set of known knock off fog lamps for my e30 at a fraction of the price of genuine BMW lamps.  They shipped from China. They didn’t come with bulbs. The “adjustment” screw holes in the lenses were covered by black tape (no rubber plugs). I had to do some serious modifications to make my factory wiring harness plug into the lamps. One positive feature-The lenses are glass- not plastic like most knockoffs I’ve seen.

• Haha 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

4 hours ago, elfhearse said:

I installed the single strut bar from TEP with the brace mounting on valve cover.  It stopped the engine shake at idle but when I went over 80mph it transferred a massive resonance/vibration throughout the car.  Removed the brace and kept the strut bar and no more issues with the high speed NVH.

I was thinking about using it to control some idle shake as well. I’ve been dialing in dual DCOE 45s and have done the best I can to synchronize and set the idle mixture and speed, but still some shake at a nice low idle (I guess it goes with the territory of the carbs, 292 cam and Stahl header set up). Based on everyone’s input, I’m inclined to leave well enough alone.  

On 9/10/2022 at 8:09 AM, Schon '02 said:

Saw this on a ‘74 tii recently posted on BaT… anyone else ever see or use a torque rod on their engine?

Yes, it works great, you’ll notice it has an isolator incorporated 

you can run the rubber motor mounts and this combination so your motor is stable like urethane mounts but without the vibration 

I had this brace on my Tii and now after my motor swap I made another one 

2D559CAF-5339-4288-B238-1AF2442BFDED.thumb.jpeg.3187d37684292f282f590e5c3bc44940.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

On 9/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, TobyB said:

The trick is to get it in plane with the engine mounts, or it twists the

engine out of alignment with the driveshaft.  And I never thought

the valve cover bolts were up to much shear load.

i ran it for 4 years without issue, it stops the motor from rotating and didn’t cause a twist or additional vibration for me on my Tii 5 speed application 

F4761FD4-A113-435B-B846-CCC23447FA0F.thumb.jpeg.313f2fd4e69d22132892fbfa874fa8c8.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook