• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water divider corrosion fix?

MattL

Does anybody have a magical corrosion tonic recipe that might clean this divider up? I’m about to start my dual DHLA install, and that open sender port in particular looks pretty gnarly. Would love to not have to seek out (and shell out for) a new divider. 

15604D03-73C0-426F-B3BF-7FA1AA78634F.jpeg

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

I don't think that one will work with side drafts with the heater out let to the rear I fear that will interfere with the front manifold.

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

I don't think that one will work with side drafts with the heater out let to the rear I fear that will interfere with the front manifold

That is correct!  You will need to cut the heater hose outlet and seal it off somehow or buy a divider without that outlet like the ti/tii/e21/e30 divider.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Thanks, guys! I’ll get out the grinder and pick up some marine weld. If a new divider is needed, at least I will have done everything possible to make this one work. 

By the way, Hal: your shipment arrived safe and sound, with all pieces nicely packed up. Thank you. I can’t wait to get everything installed. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Easy to fix- toss in neighbor's pool, get correct fitting.

2 birds, one stone- like car part object.

I have sandblasted those and epoxied them.  Also have just

smeared RTV into the deepest pits.  

Both worked.

t

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Good to know, Toby, thanks. I'll get the parts launcher prepped in case my grind+epoxy effort is too abominable for use.

Honored to be immortalized in your footer, by the way. I been gettin' real smart. 

• Like 3

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

On 8/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, MattL said:

I'll get the parts launcher prepped in case my grind+epoxy effort is too abominable for use.

I wouldn't reach for a grinder.  A file would be plenty aggressive.  Just make sure to get rid of all the white crusties before applying epoxy, or whatever.  Media blasting seems ideal.

I had a coolant line leak after I repositioned the hose clamp to move it to the bottom.  It'd been on the top since it was installed way back whenever and the hose did not conform after the move.  I used Permatex aviation sealant on the nipple and it stopped the leak.  It is actually one of the applications they mention on the instructions on the side of the container.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Plus three (3) on the bead blasting approach, at relatively low PSI pressures.  I would add soaking the divider and scrubbing its outside surfaces in/with a toothbrush/small brass brush and Dawn dish washing detergent, not necessarily in that order.  Soak overnight, scrub again with small brass brush, bead blast, blast with clean, DRY, shop air, and then apply whatever you decide on top. 

Anything you apply on top after that treatment will be much more likely to not have the "toothing effect" of the corroded surfaces negated by a little slickness from oil or fingerprints, etc...My three cents.  :)

Regards, Maurice.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1