• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Caveat when dealing with Pelican Parts

Mike Self

Recently purchased a rebuilt steering box for my E30 from Pelican, and was told that while they didn't provide a return shipping label, (kinda surprising) the return shipping was approximately the same as the outbound shipping, about $20.  

Imagine my surprise when I took it to our local pack 'n ship and was quoted the cheapest rate to ship the core:  $107!  The core charge was only $110!  When I called Pelican I was told "there was nothing they could do."  Actually it was "there was nothing they wanted to do."  

So...beware if you order something from them of any size that requires a core return, as they won't cover any return costs.  Had I known the actual shipping costs in advance, I would have had our local shop simply replace the seals, as the box only has 133k miles and was functioning fine, just leaking.

Anyone want a good deal on a 318is steering box that needs seals?   Local pickup suggested ?.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Quote: I would try to fit it in a usps flat rate box, they have some weird triangular long ones that might fit a rack and pinion.

Per Pelican it has to be returned "in its original box"

Didn't realize it was owned by ECS...although ECS did honor my Bavarian gift certificates...

mike

• Sad 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

25 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Quote: I would try to fit it in a usps flat rate box, they have some weird triangular long ones that might fit a rack and pinion.

Per Pelican it has to be returned "in its original box"

Ah but can the original box be inside another box?  Schrödinger's steering box box, if you will.

• Like 3

$20 to ship a steering box halfway across the US? If it sounds too good to be true... My guess is the customer service rep didn't explain/doesn't know the difference between their cost (pre-packed, commercial rate) and yours (retail rate + packing charge).

• Like 1

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Keep the core, and ship them a dog poop.

I occasionally buy things I can't get anywhere else from ECS,

and expect that eventually they'll catch on and ship

my dog poop back to me.

They are everything that's wrong with Crapitalism, personified.

t

'Well, can't say I didn't earn that'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

As far as "Big Box online parts" I much prefer FCPeuro, free shipping over $50.

Pelican is the worst.

Just had a conversation with a friend this weekend who reminded me about FCPEuro. Afterwards I ordered some stuff from them (generic items that the more 2002 specific vendors didn't have) instead of ECS and I'm glad I did after his recommendation and the sentiment in this thread. 

• Like 2

I would (and do) add RMEuro and AutohausAZ to the list when 

searching for BMW stuff.  Neither has let me down:

mistakes are made, good vendors fix them.

Blunt never makes mistakes.  Sometimes the ice cream's a bit soft...

t

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL