• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator

DEZIMADE

Retarded ignition, clogged radiator, broken thermostat, gauge cluster bad earth, sender unit bad earth.

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

17111102621.jpg
WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Radiator with high cooling rate - with original dimensions (exchangeable with standard radiator for 1502 - 2002 ti), net size 400 x 340 x 40 mm - fits for all models - especially for cars with cooling problems or high performance engines or race activities - approx. 50% higher cooling rate than...

I installed one of these.

• Like 2

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Adding to dlacey’s list: a pinhole leak/weep somewhere in the cooling system path that prevents the system from pressurization.. could be in the radiator or elsewhere in the path - check all hose connections, look for dried coolant.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

How often has it been flushed in the last 50 years?

Flush the radiator, block, heater core, and check water pump, hoses and thermostat every time! Remember to "burp" air from the system and check that the radiator cap holds pressure.

I have the original radiator in my '76, and religiously followed the above routine every 2-3 years regardless of mileage.

No leaks, never overheated, and original water pump lasted 83k miles.

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

Try the tropical fan.

Lots of U.S.-spec ‘02’s (all?) from 1972-74 got the tropical fan at the factory. Most of us — certainly I — were not aware of this until quite recently, when a few of us actually measured our fan blades. My ‘73 tii’s fan (original? I’d guess?) was a tropical, as were others. 1975-76 cars received factory fan shrouds, so the fans were downsized to the 360 mm. fan.

As with the “A/C” radiator (angled “outboard” lower hose fitting), BMW recognized a good portion of U.S.-spec cars were getting A/C upon their arrival in America, and changed that market’s standard equipment. I believe it’s no coincidence that the radiator and fan upgrades appear to occur at roughly the time that Behr was introducing its ‘02 A/C, and was working with BMW on that project — e.g., Behr A/C parts received BMW part numbers and were made available through the BMW dealership network.

Try measuring your fan.

400 mm. (tip to tip in the longest dimension) = tropical

360 mm. = not-a-tropical

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

47 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Lots of U.S.-spec ‘02’s (all?) from 1972-74 got the tropical fan at the factory. Most of us — certainly I — were not aware of this until quite recently, when a few of us actually measured our fan blades. My ‘73 tii’s fan (original? I’d guess?) was a tropical, as were others. 1975-76 cars received factory fan shrouds, so the fans were downsized to the 360 mm. fan.

As with the “A/C” radiator (angled “outboard” lower hose fitting), BMW recognized a good portion of U.S.-spec cars were getting A/C upon their arrival in America, and changed that market’s standard equipment. I believe it’s no coincidence that the radiator and fan upgrades appear to occur at roughly the time that Behr was introducing its ‘02 A/C, and was working with BMW on that project — e.g., Behr A/C parts received BMW part numbers and were made available through the BMW dealership network.

Try measuring your fan.

400 mm. (tip to tip in the longest dimension) = tropical

360 mm. = not-a-tropical

Best regards,

Steve

My 74 didn't have one, but it does now.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I purchased a car that had sat in a garage for five years.  Prior to being placed in storage, the radiator had been replaced with a new one.  After purchase, I attempted to drive it home and only made it about 10 miles before the needle was headed for the red zone.  I had it trailered home by AAA and took it to a radiator shop.  They were able to rod out the radiator which involves taking the top off of it and inserting a rod into each cell of the core while flushing the radiator out with water.  There are many YouTube videos showing this process.  This rodding out treatment ended my cooling problem and ever since, the needle has been no higher than 3 ‘oclock.  Whole thing cost me about $250.  Well worth the price.

11 hours ago, tomphot said:
17111102621.jpg
WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Radiator with high cooling rate - with original dimensions (exchangeable with standard radiator for 1502 - 2002 ti), net size 400 x 340 x 40 mm - fits for all models - especially for cars with cooling problems or high performance engines or race activities - approx. 50% higher cooling rate than...

I installed one of these.

I have one of these also.  A quality item that works great if you need a new radiator. 

Radiator shops are hard to find these days.  Competent ones, even harder.  Also hard to tell the difference when visiting- not a "cleanroom" environment!

• Like 1

Someone recently posted a similar question about over heating and their problem was due to being low on coolant.

EDIT -- the  Confused response I got to this post made me look up the one I referred to and I had either misread it or simply remembered it wrong.  That wasn't their problem after all.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
Confused
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, calw said:

I have one of these also.  A quality item that works great if you need a new radiator. 

Radiator shops are hard to find these days.  Competent ones, even harder.  Also hard to tell the difference when visiting- not a "cleanroom" environment!

Me three! Changed my life — well, kind of: no more eye-on-the-temp-needle while sitting stopped in 90+ degree weather!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

37 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Me three!

And now 4...   but remember as others have pointed out, this is a cooling SYSTEM and has multiple parts.  I did most of the system as one project so can't advise how much each item helped.  But I live in Houston and now never have a cooling issue.  Good luck!

On 4/19/2022 at 6:18 AM, DEZIMADE said:

Hi guys, what are the reasons that a radiator “2002 73 base stock “ overheat . ? Thanks. 

Is your coolant bubbling over or is it just the gauge that is showing "over heating?" I recently had the gauge issue and it turned out to be a ground/earth issue.  

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA