• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Gasket Advice Needed

Billsmith

21 hours ago, John76 said:

… I too have the original windshield gasket on my car, and it is much crustier than Tom's!…

What rots and what doesn’t rot is a mystery on many old cars. My ‘76’s paint — Polaris metallic, of course — went to hell, the front fenders rusted, and a boxed floor reinforcement between the fuel tank and right quarter panel almost disappeared. But the original windshield and backlight gaskets could have been re-used: not a crack by the time of the 2015 re-paint. Given a choice, I would have probably opted for paint that lasts and gaskets that rot…

Best regards,

Steve

45B4E64F-7AEA-4F4E-92D0-0DBCB67FDF78.jpeg

9D709694-D13B-4D9A-B8F8-EAB17EBE6433.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

10 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Another thing that works well and won't dry out..."personal lubricant."  Doesn't attack rubber, very slippery and stays slippery for quite a while.  And doesn't harm a thing, including your skin ?.

Also good for install cooling system hoses in awkward places, like the heater and heater valve...

mike

Ooooo....I 'm gonna try some Astroglyde on my outer control arm bushing!  Once again, thanks Mike!

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

6 hours ago, jgerock said:

Alternative for window gasket installation is glycerin which can be found at a CVS or other pharmacy stores.  Tip courtesy of Mike Pugh.

+1

The Owner’s handbook recommends glycerin. I used to use it in the 1970’s. Then I forgot! ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

14 hours ago, Billsmith said:

Great info guys.  One final question in case I get up the courage to replace it myself.  Does the gasket just float over the flange without any sealant in a proper install?  No offense intended in prior misspelling of flange.

Yes, no sealant. The gasket is pulled around the metal frame and then expanded and locked into the metal frame with the silver locking strip. No sealant is used.

Its not a terrible job, but is takes 2 people, lots of soap and and watching some youtube videos to see how the  rope trick works!

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

Yes, no sealant. The gasket is pulled around the metal frame and then expanded and locked into the metal frame with the silver locking strip. No sealant is used.

Its not a terrible job, but is takes 2 people, lots of soap and and watching some youtube videos to see how the  rope trick works!

Well, that's correct, mostly. As a first timer, there was a fair bit of cursing and several tries involved, mostly aimed at people who said it was easy and the job would take an hour or two. You know the type: "oh sure, the widget slides right in with a little heat and some encouragement from your wife and two year old. Took us a little over 15 minutes before we went off to win the local Concours d'Elegance."

I would encourage you to have a helper who has done a windshield before. It's simple but not necessarily easy. I would also encourage you to buy the correct tool for the locking strip. That thing gave me all sorts of trouble on the front, but with a helper and more lube, the rear went in in no time.

Also, keep your wife out of the garage while you're working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Hi Folks - I have a quick question on my windshield installation.  I have new glass, new BMW gaskets and even the new chrome plastic.  My glass guy comes in a few hours to install.  

The question is around the galvanized metal frame that was on the car before I had it painted.  The frame is actually four pieces - the top, the bottom and each pillar.  Here they are.  I THINK their part number is 51317440104.  

48E75BA9-F585-436E-B321-9412501B6E6F.thumb.jpeg.b797329811a95242125ae480d2713183.jpeg

Cross sectional view..

130DBB26-ADF6-430F-9A6C-D95A3D048F4F.thumb.jpeg.46e2d93c7796061e6016420628ad7c6a.jpeg

I believe the tab faces inward into the cabin when properly inserted...

So what gives here - do you guys know the purpose of this "frame"?  My glass guy has only questions on it - has not seen it yet.  I would like to be more informed.  It has some surface rust but nothing major I cannot clean up and simply re-install.  Just curious though - it appears to be "nla" on real oem - they do not even call it out on the bill of material but they number it as 5 on the picture.

That looks pretty alien to me.  I wouldn't run it.

I just installed the front and rear with Walloth/Nesch sourced OEM seals with the help from my wife and oldest son.  It took a couple times, but wasn't (knock on wood) too terrible.  The biggest PITA was the chrome locking strip at the corners, should have let it warm up, as per suggestions here. 

yeah I have the rubber and chrome in the sun right now.  thanks for your input. My car was pretty original - but yes I guess the glass could have been replaced and this was inserted then.   Interesting.  Wonder if anyone has see it?  My glass guy is intrigued as well - he does all sorts of classics so his vote will be interesting.  

The Rope trick is huge but DO NOT push on the bottom edges of the windshield to try to get it to seat... It will shatter (twice!) and then I called a pro to do the 3rd one perfectly.  Good luck!

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

Ok deed is done. Installer has thirty years in business. Said it was intended to “keep the glass in”.  He assured me that the car does not go that fast - ?.  

we left it out. 

he said the mfgrs dit put shorter pieces in later on.  Just two.   Three - four inches top and bottom. 

They did not use silicone!  The body shops hate spray silicone so he does without. The only “lube” was spray glass cleaner and that was for the chrome trim piece.  Took two guys 1.5 hours.  They sure did “slap w cupped hand”  on the rear (not safety) glass to seat the gasket.  The front since laminated they did very little “slapping” on the glass to seat it into the gasket.  

I removed the top two half of the three piece dash to make it easier to get the lower front gasket in place. 

almost ready for Brisbane Swap Meet!!!

image.thumb.jpg.3ac401504eb48a7671daddf15dddbb33.jpgECD2499D-89C3-4FB1-A083-D3C6EDE8AA70.thumb.jpeg.22371e8fc135bb906532b437032ef300.jpegA7DD8DB3-951E-4246-A080-858497FDDC36.thumb.jpeg.e0dd04bfbd4877d0ccdbee0252785c4c.jpeg

• Like 2