• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sahara '73 Sells on BAT for $35,900

Mike Self

12 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

IMHO, I disagree.  But the key is a proper color change .... overspray need not apply. 

+1

While I, like Paul, am an “original-color-only” guy, for my own cars, I believe a comprehensively color-changed ‘02 can actually increase in value if it moves from a… hmmm… “not-so-hot” color to a “scorchingly-hot” color.

Certainly among the top-selling tii’s of all time would be COOP’s ‘72. It was color-changed from Sahara to Baikal. It had a well-done re-paint, re-painted everywhere! And it’s Tobacco interior, inherited from its Sahara origins, was not a factory combination with Baikal. But the color-changed car, including the non-factory exterior-interior combination, was stunning! Need I say more?

If I had an Atlantic tii, it’s original black interior would go into my attic and it would be replaced by a Tobacco or Saddle interior… 

OK… don’t act so shocked! ??

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

At the end of the day the quality of work and the attention to detail will always shine thru. I admire guys who take a leap and think outside the box  or make a change to suite their needs or likes. On the other hand I have huge respect for those who pain painstakingly maintain a car's originality.  I grew up "hot roding cars", nothing has changed for me after 50 years.  So with that said, changing colour is not a deal breaker for me,  although any mods or changes not done correctly  is... regardless if its an original,  custom or modified car.

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Conserv said:

Certainly among the top-selling tii’s of all time would be COOP’s ‘72. It was color-changed from Sahara to Baikal metallic. It was well done! And it’s Tobacco interior, inherited from its Sahara origins, was not a factory combination with Baikal. But the car, including the non-factory combination, was stunning! Need I say more?

Well....  Yes.

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee - Jerry Seinfeld im BMW 2002 tii - MOTOR  SHOW BLOG

• Haha 1

I don't want to sell mine at all, but with it being so similar to mine, it made me a bit giddy to see the nutso selling price. I certainly wasn't thinking investment value or status symbol when I bought mine. However, it does seem that some of the newer 2002 owners are running up the prices and moving the goal posts on us long-time devotees.

Basically, I feel the same way about it now as when I bought my first one in 2003: Meaning:  Buy it, restore it (to taste), care for it, DRIVE it, ENJOY it and try not to WORRY. It's a car. It's meant to be used. BMW had no idea we'd be so enamored with them 40 to 50 years later! Could they envision Barney, Andrew, Frank and others shipping their cars to Rotterdam and then driving them south to tour the Black Forest and the Bavarian Alps?? Simply amazing.

IMG_1537 (1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

On 9/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, Mike Self said:

Holy cow--a very nice carbureted '73, but not the "more desirable" tii or a rare body style.... this has got to be close to a record for a non-tii/super low mileage '02...and it's not gonna help folks who are looking for a parts car or find one that needs everything to get back on the road.  

How many of us are gonna be more fearful of driving our 02's regularly?

mike

This is a pretty nice car, Mike.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

On 9/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, Mike Self said:

non-tii/super low mileage '02.

Super low mileage? This car has 173k miles...odometer spun over in 1983.

Did anyone notice the compression numbers on the service invoices?  Compression tests done at 67, 68, 72, 75, 78, 84, 89, 94, 99, 112, and 131k miles before the engine was rebuilt at 165k miles. Numbers varied greatly by up to 40psi, with some of the highest at 150psi at the 94k mile mark. Is this normal??  Also noticed plugs, points, condenser changed every 3-4k miles. I know parts are cheap, but they should be good for at least 12k miles...no?

Amazing sales result on BaT.  I'm with Steve (Conserv)....I'm going to hug and kiss my car tonight.

John   (and yes, I'm older than my car)

• Like 3

On 9/7/2021 at 1:30 AM, AceAndrew said:

@mike472, please do not take offense at this as it's not aimed at you, but to the clouds.  Hope all is well, we need to catch up sometime!

Your type of response is becoming rather typical as of late.  At NO point up until the past five-ish years of fifty years were "stock" 2002's perceived as valuable by any measure (beyond a couple [lovingly said] FAQ nutjobs).  I maintain that these cars were MADE with the knowledge that they would be modified/personalized.  I've come to see the recent influx of "I just wanted it original" as code for "this car is an investment with wheels, I can't personalize the car because it entails financial risks."  Another appeal to this is that for the generic flipper/restorer you can hide behind that excuse to not have to go through the modification learning curve.

Shame, so many don't realize what they are missing.  Fortunately there's still a core community that "gets" it.

-Millennial just ranting.

Andrew,

I would not take offense. You know I am not a stickler for originality otherwise I wouldn’t have painted my other car Estorilblau. What you said is important though. Paint has to go everywhere the factory sprayed it. 

A711DDD7-9F75-445E-9253-BD6187C1EC11.jpeg

9DC34D55-1B98-4FEE-95F7-0FCA92BEA667.jpeg

Edited by mike472
  • Like 2

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318