• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sahara '73 Sells on BAT for $35,900

Mike Self

Bat auctions make no sense to me. The hood is hiding some serious issues at the underside pinch weld. Most of the bidders I’m guessing know nothing about these cars or what to look for. The front seats, they look obese. 

Edited by 72pdx02
Comment could be offensive to some.

God, I finally took a look at all of the pics and I’m even more amazed that it sold for what it did. Every aspect of that car needs some love and attention. That’s more like a 15K car. Sheesh.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

This definitely serves up some food for thought.  I'm doing a restoration on my "74 that's painted Inca.  Does this mean I should bring my '74 back to its original Sahara?  After seeing this I'm tempted even though I'm changing from US bumpers to stainless from Blunt and a bunch of blingy stuff from IE. I have gotten to like Inca over the past 10 years I've been driving this one. It would be hard to go back to it but in a way I think Sahara might be more trendy then Inca.  That color is definitely unloved by most.  So was Malaga.  I owned one of those and liked it too.  I have a receipt for $2000 from 2007 when my car received a "quicky" Inca paint job for it's role in the movie "American Gangster".  I guess the director thought it would pop on screen in that color and it was one of the quintessential BMW colors of the 70's.  Do you think the person who bought that Sahara car would have paid this much for a non original color?  This makes me wonder.  I think I might just go back to Sahara if an Inca repaint will torpedo the value of my car.  I am doing a complete restoration of this car with pretty much everything done.  The car is a rolling shell at the moment ready for the color of my choice.  I have a Gobi interior that came with it that I was going to paint black to go with the Inca.  That will be one thing I won't have to do.  Mechanically it's far from original with a 5 speed instead of an Automatic, rear disc brakes, header, 38/38 and a few other usual tweaks for the period, but it's not original.  What to do.  I think I'm still going for the Inca.  I guess being from the "if it feel's good do it" generation I should just go with what makes me happy.  I think the Hack Mechanic said it best when he said something like, "you want a car that when you walk away from it, you can't help but turn around to look at it because it's so cool".  That's the way I feel about Inca with those Alpina wheels baby!  

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

@mike472 I honestly think that the sale was a bit of an anomaly for a number of reasons, but BAT continues to mystify… 

Regarding your 02, I don’t think you’ll regret repainting it Inka; I can’t imagine Inka ever losing its luster. More importantly though, if you prefer Inka over Sahara, then stick with it!

• Like 1

@mike472, please do not take offense at this as it's not aimed at you, but to the clouds.  Hope all is well, we need to catch up sometime!

Your type of response is becoming rather typical as of late.  At NO point up until the past five-ish years of fifty years were "stock" 2002's perceived as valuable by any measure (beyond a couple [lovingly said] FAQ nutjobs).  I maintain that these cars were MADE with the knowledge that they would be modified/personalized.  I've come to see the recent influx of "I just wanted it original" as code for "this car is an investment with wheels, I can't personalize the car because it entails financial risks."  Another appeal to this is that for the generic flipper/restorer you can hide behind that excuse to not have to go through the modification learning curve.

Shame, so many don't realize what they are missing.  Fortunately there's still a core community that "gets" it.

-Millennial just ranting.

• Like 3

At 30 minuets left on the auction the car was at about $ 17,000 so I stopped watching  When it closed at $35 000 plus It was unbelievable  Cleary an anomaly  I doubt there was a chorus or people exclaiming that the car was "Well Bought"

The seller had to be giddy, while the buyer well ---who knows   trying to say something kind  is difficult.  As we often hear sometimes the selling price  just depends on who is in the room

If you go to BAT and look at all the recent  2002 sales you can clearly see this one sold for way above the norm  especially for it's shortcomings.

This sale is NOT setting a new benchmark for prices It's a case of the seller being lucky

• Like 4

10 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

@mike472, please do not take offense at this as it's not aimed at you, but to the clouds.  Hope all is well, we need to catch up sometime!

Your type of response is becoming rather typical as of late.  At NO point up until the past five-ish years of fifty years were "stock" 2002's perceived as valuable by any measure (beyond a couple [lovingly said] FAQ nutjobs).  I maintain that these cars were MADE with the knowledge that they would be modified/personalized.  I've come to see the recent influx of "I just wanted it original" as code for "this car is an investment with wheels, I can't personalize the car because it entails financial risks."  Another appeal to this is that for the generic flipper/restorer you can hide behind that excuse to not have to go through the modification learning curve.

Shame, so many don't realize what they are missing.  Fortunately there's still a core community that "gets" it.

-Millennial just ranting.

I’m glad you got this off your chest, Andrew!

I’d probably change:

1.) your initial “five-ish years” to “ten-ish years”, and

2.) your “modified/personalized” to “modified/personalized and turn to dust within ten years”!

Other than that, all good!

—Boomer and lovable FAQ nutjob just sharing many years of acquired wisdom… ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

14 hours ago, mike472 said:

This definitely serves up some food for thought.  I'm doing a restoration on my "74 that's painted Inca.  Does this mean I should bring my '74 back to its original Sahara?  After seeing this I'm tempted even though I'm changing from US bumpers to stainless from Blunt and a bunch of blingy stuff from IE. I have gotten to like Inca over the past 10 years I've been driving this one. It would be hard to go back to it but in a way I think Sahara might be more trendy then Inca.  That color is definitely unloved by most.  So was Malaga.  I owned one of those and liked it too.  I have a receipt for $2000 from 2007 when my car received a "quicky" Inca paint job for it's role in the movie "American Gangster".  I guess the director thought it would pop on screen in that color and it was one of the quintessential BMW colors of the 70's.  Do you think the person who bought that Sahara car would have paid this much for a non original color?  This makes me wonder.  I think I might just go back to Sahara if an Inca repaint will torpedo the value of my car.  I am doing a complete restoration of this car with pretty much everything done.  The car is a rolling shell at the moment ready for the color of my choice.  I have a Gobi interior that came with it that I was going to paint black to go with the Inca.  That will be one thing I won't have to do.  Mechanically it's far from original with a 5 speed instead of an Automatic, rear disc brakes, header, 38/38 and a few other usual tweaks for the period, but it's not original.  What to do.  I think I'm still going for the Inca.  I guess being from the "if it feel's good do it" generation I should just go with what makes me happy.  I think the Hack Mechanic said it best when he said something like, "you want a car that when you walk away from it, you can't help but turn around to look at it because it's so cool".  That's the way I feel about Inca with those Alpina wheels baby!  

Mike,

I didn’t find this Sahara car particularly original: certainly the interior, engine compartment, trunk, and wheels are not original or stock. And please don’t attempt to duplicate the “backyard-style” body work, hoping to add value to your car (right door and spare tire well, shown below; click on them to enlarge them and place your bet on whether re-painting will be required in 2022, 2023, or 2024)! In short, I would not model any restoration or restomod after this B.A.T. example!

Stated differently, if your thoughts are hungry, don’t eat here! ?

Best regards,

Steve

081E9CF8-2ED9-4E43-AA27-BC9216E2AE35.jpeg

59214ACF-A76E-49BA-A4F1-8594C72806D8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Mike,

I didn’t find this Sahara car particularly original: certainly the interior, engine compartment, trunk, and wheels are not original or stock. And please don’t attempt to duplicate the “backyard-style” body work, hoping to add value to your car (right door and spare tire well, shown below)! I would not model any restoration or restomod after it!

Best regards,

Steve

081E9CF8-2ED9-4E43-AA27-BC9216E2AE35.jpeg

59214ACF-A76E-49BA-A4F1-8594C72806D8.png

Yes, after I looked at the photos in their entirety I was utterly flabbergasted. I’m just completely dumbfounded as to why someone would pay that much for a car with so much blatantly bad bodywork, in addition to what looks like largely original trim, much of it in dire need of replacement.?‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

—Boomer and lovable FAQ nutjob just sharing many years of acquired wisdom… ??

Ha--young whippersnapper.  I'm a war baby (just barely!) but also a "FAQ nutjob just sharing many years of acquired wisdom…"

And I suspect Steve is with me in enjoying working with all the 02 owners whose cars are older than they are, and are just as passionate about 'em as us old guys...

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Things have definitely changed. Even on FAQ the clientele is different. I've done some searches (mostly to avoid getting yelled at ?) and the posts 10 years ago are more casual (less stock-oriented), more mod friendly, and the people seem younger and poorer. More like what you read at the E30 sites today.

Edited by Georges
  • Like 1

engine small.jpg

4 hours ago, Georges said:

Things have definitely changed. Even on FAQ the clientele is different. I've done some searches (mostly to avoid getting yelled at ?) and the posts 10 years ago are more casual (less stock-oriented), more mod friendly, and the people seem younger and poorer. More like what you read at the E30 sites today.

Yes, they have definitely changed. I've been maintaining and driving these cars for the past 40 years.

And, I speak from experience.