• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the "wood grain" gauge cluster standard on '74 tii?

cvvick
Go to solution Solved by '76mintgrün'02,

I want to verify: Is the "wood grain" gauge cluster standard on '74 tii? My car currently has black and I'm considering replacing it. BTW, do you need to removed the dashboard to replace the gauge cluster?

• Solution

Yes, all 74-76 cars came with the faux wood cluster.  (except for the turbo = red).

It is not necessary to remove the dash.  There are two knurled nuts on the back side that retain the cluster.  You will need to unscrew the speedometer cable and unplug some wires as well.  The nuts are towards the middle, on either side of the speedometer.

Once you've done it a time or two, you can reach back and disconnect things while sitting in the seat.  That's a bit more comfortable than lying on the floor.

Tom

• Like 3

While removing the cluster, be sure and hang onto the flat metal washers and the rubber washers that go under the knurled cluster-retaining nuts.  They're much easier to remove (presuming you don't drop 'em into the pedal bucket) than to reinstall...The rubber washers act as lock nuts when you compress 'em so that the knurled nuts don't unscrew themselves.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

While removing the cluster, be sure and hang onto the flat metal washers and the rubber washers that go under the knurled cluster-retaining nuts.  They're much easier to remove (presuming you don't drop 'em into the pedal bucket) than to reinstall...The rubber washers act as lock nuts when you compress 'em so that the knurled nuts don't unscrew themselves.

mike

There are supposed to be washers under those nuts? I guess that's another entry in "parts I never knew my car was missing." 

-Dave 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

The Lux came with real wood, well more a veneer, the faux wood was scratched badly on mine so  I did the opposite and removed the faux wood, under the faux wood is the older style gauge cluster, it’s just a covering piece like the turbo has, if you want to put the faux wood back you will need different retaining rings to hold the gauge glass in, as the old style and later have different rings, there’s a few write ups on here.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

while we're on this related topic, is it possible to plug-in the TII clock without removing the gage cluster?

Joe,

Removing the cluster — two thumbnuts and the speedometer cable — is so quick and simple, I’d don’t believe you’d have anything to gain IF it is even possible to plug in the clock while the cluster is in place. I believe the sheetmetal on which the dashboard rests is going to be in your way, however.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Emyers said:

Lux bezel...

743A2313-9A5B-4C31-BD4E-4B6D12E91CA4.jpeg

I’ve gotta say that the authentic wood bezel looks pretty darned good, and makes the faux wood bezel look like crap! And I see the authentic wood trim around the ashtray and emergency flasher button!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)