• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust question

Gh356

Reviving a ‘74 tii after a 15 + year slumber.  The exhaust is shot.  Would love to buy the IE stainless set up, but they are out of stock.  Can anyone recommend a good option?  Has anyone done a custom exhaust using a muffler from MagnaFlow or other brand?  

I also have a ‘74 tii that sat for almost 20 years which I resuscitated a couple of years ago. I went with an OEM Eberspacher exhaust system as I had the IE stainless system on my previous car and constantly had to adjust it as it rattled fairly consistently around the rear sub-frame. This was on a 1 family owned, never hit, virtually rust free car so nothing had ever shifted so to speak. It was just a pain in the butt. The Eberspacher fits perfectly, looks nice and has a decent tone. It’ll probably last for the rest of my life...

4392768F-3A99-48AB-A907-49E24B880C09.jpeg

2119EE2C-F3E0-4CA8-A82E-3AD93A7D07B1.jpeg

4AC8A1E5-D696-4171-AD28-73551FDCA00E.jpeg

• Like 4

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

A stock tii runs the best if left intact from the air cleaner to the exhaust, any mods will diminish the performance somewhere else in the power band. 

• Like 5

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

11 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

4AC8A1E5-D696-4171-AD28-73551FDCA00E.jpeg

+4 for stock. 

The Tii had that cool 0vular resonator shown in the photo above (as opposed to the smaller diameter cylindrical style in the non-Tii cars). 

7 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Fcpeuro has the stock BMW front and rear silencer for about $375

The resonator they show is not like the one in the photo above.  It is the smaller round style.  

data.?1496497389

I only see one resonator offered at WN and it is not the BMW offering.

18121104050_1.webp

It looks like Roger'sTii has the oval style for $186.

https://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002-2002tii-center-muffler-resonator/

IMG_3641__12467.1600898848.1280.1280.JPG

and the BMW muffler for $260.

Tom

• Like 3

Those center resonators look like Ansa or Bosal to me. I purchased mine from Maximilian for about the same price as Roger is offering them. The grey primer finish wasn’t perfect though, as they’re probably just stored loose in a warehouse. If you’re detailing your undercarriage, you’d want to lay down a fresh coat.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I've got the rear silencer  and pipe (exit from rear) from the IE exhaust that was on my car sitting on the shelf (I don't' have any of the other pieces-long story).  It's used, but if cleaned up would look nice and shiny.  If it'll help, you're welcome to it, just pay the shipping. 

Travis

Edited by Tdh

20200222_233231.jpg

1 hour ago, 1936spyder said:

If you’re detailing your undercarriage, you’d want to lay down a fresh coat.

VHT primer grey.  Mufflers take a lot of abuse.  Be prepared to respray it occasionally. 

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I’ve had my OEM Eberspacher exhaust system front to back except a stainless Down tube for at least 8 years, great quality and nice sound, I would buy one again without hesitation, it’s nice to get what you pay for!

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1