• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring from hazard bundle for USB

Fletcher
Go to solution Solved by adawil2002,

I’d like to install this guy to power my Bluetooth speaker.  

F9414E2A-E013-45BB-B25A-CE74B8DFAE53.jpeg

4AD0EF38-F38C-4028-9F2D-573F98B27CDF.jpeg

the only readily accessible wiring to do so is the hazard switch.   On it there a purple-white wire that looks like it might have had something on it once.  Is this a legit thing to do?   Anybody know if this is right wire to do it with?

thanks!

F9D8B793-795A-40D7-9C50-4F6F820462B3.jpeg

9A03AD72-85E1-4B45-B91E-8108D04E0F9C.jpeg

E5FBE08A-0116-4E25-A196-56D325CD29A6.jpeg

• Solution

Yes, Purple/White can be accessory power. May also access from under the steering column. Be sure to put an easy to reach & change inline fuse in the circuit.

• Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

What they said. Also mentioned here. 

I believe there is a terminal taped to the harness by the heater (in plastic like your fog light one under hood).

(I could be thinking of the dash light bulb lead for the Auto Trans though)

• Thanks 1

Ha!  I like it.  Now, the ultimate accessory-

a very thin clock that plugs into it and looks like it's

made by VDO.

t

bus powered

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

10 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Ha!  I like it.  Now, the ultimate accessory-

a very thin clock that plugs into it and looks like it's

made by Kienzle Motometer.

t

bus powered

FTFY.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Later model cars also have a spare power wire under the dash just above the hood release. You could have got 12v from there without messing with the hazard switch. Just FYI since you already completed the install!

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Excellent idea...

As for blue speaker idea you may want to consider the Wonder boom 2 Ultimate ears.... 

I tried the Anker and a few other blue tooth speakers..But, competed with the engine noise 

However, Wonder boom 2 from California to Arizona and back great sound, long battery life.

I had to plug it into my cigarette charger eventually it would have been nice to have had your set up...

Thanks sharing

Airborne

8A8BCE6B-CED3-4BDA-9FB8-FC4455C883C3.png

FYI and future reference--there are two hot lead sources on an emergency flasher switch:  one is hot all the time (it powers the emergency flashers) and the other is hot only when the ignition is on (it powers the turn signals).

On 68-71 cars (pull knob emergency flasher switch):  terminal 30, hot all the time; terminal 15 hot only with ign on

On 72-73 cars (pushbutton switch) terminal 30, hot all the time; terminal 15, hot only with ign on.

Haven't checked squarelight setup with a voltmeter, but since they use the same pushbutton switch as 72 and 73 roundies, I presume the terminal setup is the same.  However, the wire colors may be different.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

one is hot all the time (it powers the emergency flashers) and the other is hot only when the ignition is on (it powers the turn signals).

Thanks, Mike.

Yeah.  I pulled out the voltmeter and determined that the purple-white on my 76 was switched and red-white was hot all the time.

2 hours ago, theNomad said:

perhaps this purple and red thing makes sense now, purple hot sometimes and red hot all the time...

Handy  general "rule of thumb" when looking at wiring:

Solid colors:  Red, Violet, Black, etc. usually supply the "hot" side of a fuse. Brown always a direct ground.

Solid color with stripe: Same as solid color, but protected by a fuse.  E.g. Red/white = fused power. Brown/black = switched ground.

John (aka Sparky)

• Like 3