• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN 1971 BMW 2002

Matt Pipkin

On 2/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, joysterm said:

So sad to hear of your loss. You may want to think about posting a notice on FB  with some of the BMW  02 groups.  I got lucky, had my e30 jacked last year, got it back  after being spotted 6 hours after I posted a BOLO.  Good luck with your search.

Wow. Glad you got it back! Thank you. :) 

I'd like to hear more details about what circumstances the car was in when it got stolen? Parked overnight in a strange location, etc. I always worry about my car when I go play golf and it's in that parking lot for sooooo long.

GL finding the car. What a bummer.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

If this was my car I would be looking for that flatbed tow truck. If someone saw the flatbed tow truck taking your car maybe they can give you a description of it. Not many people have flatbed tow trucks. I would also look for any surveillance cameras around where it was stolen, someone might have video. 

For future safety of your car you can get a GPS tracker for your car. Make sure you get one with it's own battery, so it will work even with the car battery disconnected. You can set up email or text alerts,Then you'll know where your car is at all times and if it moves. In this day and age you have to protect your investments and expect the unexpected.

• Like 2

Hey all - wanted to let you know that my 2002 was found, and apparently completely unharmed! :) It was stolen alongside a 74 Porsche 911 Targa, a VW Bug, likely a 64 Jag XKE, and others. Didn't figure we'd see it again, so I'm pretty grateful to law enforcement for doing such a great job of finding it! :) Appreciate all your helpful input while it was MIA! :) 

• Like 26

1 hour ago, Matt Pipkin said:

Hey all - wanted to let you know that my 2002 was found, and apparently completely unharmed! :) It was stolen alongside a 74 Porsche 911 Targa, a VW Bug, likely a 64 Jag XKE, and others. Didn't figure we'd see it again, so I'm pretty grateful to law enforcement for doing such a great job of finding it! :) Appreciate all your helpful input while it was MIA! :) 

I love stories with a happy ending! We definitely need more details if you can get them.

Not to steal your thunder, but I had a college roommate who had his '69 Olds 442 stolen from a campus parking lot back in the early 90s (so pre internet). A few months later he saw it listed for sale somewhere nearby and went to find it. Turns out a garage / used car place had bought if from someone who had forged a title. He went to the local police and they said yea, we'll send someone over in a little while. Not satisfied, he went out to his car and got a tape recorder (pre cell phones) and recorded himself telling the person on duty "I just told you where my stolen car is sitting right now and you are not doing anything about it". Long story short, they sent a cop with a tow truck to impound it and a month or so later he had it back.

Edited by man_mark_7
  • Like 1

Matt--so glad to hear you got your car back.  Was it still in the local area?  

A trick I heard many years ago about helping to recover/identify a stolen car:  remember this was back in the 70s, long before internet, LoJack or GPS trackers.  The article suggested hiding your business card--with a date written on it--in a really out-of-the way place (e.g. behind the quarter panel upholstery in a 2002, or under the fusebox).  That way even if the car is repainted or had its VIN changed, you can prove ownership.

mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite