• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ardvark VS Ireland VS Bluntech - 5-spd conversion kits

ryanlee

I can't speak for the Aardvark and IE kit but I have the Blunttech kit on my 76 2002 with the 5 speed swap and it's top notch quality, everything I needed was included and everything still works perfectly like like 3 years after the conversion, 10/10 would do the Blunt kit the next time I do a 5 speed swap

• Like 1

First of all we are truly lucky to have these venders competing for our dollars, all three are excellent and easy to work with and really want to make their product work for you. I used the aardvark kit and dave was great even answered a dumb question I had on a weekend afternoon.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

11 minutes ago, M2M3 said:

whatever you do, DO NOT use a kit that has a U-shaped bracket to support the back of the trans.  get one that has separate real mounts that attach to the tunnel.

I think last I read this perspective, Jake/ClassicDaily responded that he has sold 60 or so of those brackets, runs one himself, and has not received any negative feedback from his customers. 

If anyone has had one fail, or knows of one failing, I'd like to know.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

18 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I think last I read this perspective, Jake/ClassicDaily responded that he has sold 60 or so of those brackets, runs one himself, and has not received any negative feedback from his customers. 

Cheers,

mine did.  the bracket does not fail, the bracket slowly bends down because of the cantilever weight on the tunnel brackets that are not designed to take that load angle.  trans dropping leads to driveshaft misalignment....guibo failure.  it is just a really bad design.  all it takes is looking at the load patterns for a few minutes to realize the problem.   plus, if the factory did not put the mounts in EXACTLY parallel, the end of the U could be up or down from where it should be making guibo alignment an issue right out of the box.

U brackets suck.  if you are gonna put a 5spd in...do it right.  attach new brackets to the tunnel.

• Like 4

2xM3

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

Cheers,

I decided to try a U bracket  ... with the intent and joy (hope?!) of collecting data which does NOT support what Marshall insists must-absolutely be true. (All in good sport, of course.) -KB

• Like 2

11 hours ago, M2M3 said:

U brackets suck.  if you are gonna put a 5spd in...do it right.  attach new brackets to the tunnel.

+1  Agree that the factory supports in the tunnel are not designed for bending moment forces and that what is applied with the U bracket although it's only about 10 ft-lbs bending moment and 30 lbs vertical force.  One rough railroad crossing and it's all out of alignment, (unless you are a candy ass and creep across).

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Anxiously awaiting the KB report on the U bracket,  In the hope that mine from Jake holds up. Just trying to keep options open in case my 5 speed throws in the towel. It would make for an easier swap to put my original 4 speed back in if need be. 

For you engineers/fabrication gods out there  is there a way to add an additional support to the U bracket that can be easily added and/or deleted without much fuss?  Or is there  a way to shore up the original supports so they can handle the stress? Or both? 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

U bracket is a bolt-on simplified answer that subvets the ture engineering on what the trans tunnel mounts do from the factory. Plus the speedo cable is a bitch to align and install with that contraption.  

That being said; The best method is to liberate the factory mounts (or buy/make new ones) and relocate and weld them. Should you not have a means to weld, the best alternative is to use a "bolt-in" crossmember as found by many of the rank and file aftermarket suppliers.  

"learn to weld, or pay the man" 

but what do I know. 

But what do I know