• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new battery

Since most of us don't drive our '02s every day, year round, and they tend to sit for several weeks (or months) at a time, my philosophy has been to find an inexpensive Group 26R battery and replace it when it dies.  The two best prices I've found--at least in our area--is Rural King and Wal Mart.  

Amazingly, when I pulled my '73 out of the COVID-enforced storage (no '02 events to drive to), I charged up my battery and it worked just fine.  When I checked my records, I was amazed to find it was 8 years old, and a cheap one from Wal Mart!  

Unless you have a high compression engine with a radical cam, you don't need a Hoover Dam's-worth of electricity to start an M10, so go cheap...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i buy batteries at walmart...cheap and always exceed the stated life....the one on my 76 was $39.00 and is 7 years old...chevy silverado 4 years old...f-150 3 years old...pt cruiser 4 yeas old...e30 3 years old...honda fit 2 years

forgot to say...if snob appeal is important ignore walmart batteries

Edited by esty

If your car is not a daily driver then use a budget lead acid battery, and a battery tender if you don't let it discharge and stay that way for a while it will last for a long time.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

A deep cycle battery should not be used as a starting battery it's made to provide a relatively low amp draw over a long period your not doing it any favors by using it for the high draw of starting.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Confession of a battery snob. Put a Bosch battery in the '02 I acquired in Feb. Could not find a Varta, the battery  in my 1971 1600 long gone, much loved and a long time and many miles ago. Lasted eight Northeastern winters. 

Bosch was the closest I could come. It was $116.00. 

What is my penance?

Steve

Have an AGM in mine. My cheap Walmart 26R sits with a battery tender for backup. I favor AGM, because this conversation has just reminded me I need to check the water level in my Wally World battery. 

FWiW, If I recall correctly from some hot rod forums, I believe that since Optima moved one of its plants south of the border a few years ago, some of them (I cannot remember if its Red or Yellow) have not have been as durable and reliable as they used to be.  I haven't seen any hard evidence to back that up, (but I haven't  been looking either.) 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.