• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the point of wrinkle finish

albatcha

I tried looking this up but could only find people talking about how to do a wrinkle finish on a valve cover, no actual experts talking about why it is done.

Does anyone here know? Why did we start putting wrinkle finishes on valve/rocker covers? Is there an actual benefit? Or at some point did we think there was a benefit?

I'm guessing it might be like gold painted wheels. Something we copied from race cars, where the look was related to the purpose. If you didn't know, all those magnesium racing wheels are gold because they dipped the bare magnesium in a chemical to protect it from corrosion, and that process gives it the gold color.

Actually, on a nice aluminum cover like the 2002s not much.  But on *some* other high end cars, the OEMs like to try to save a tiny bit more weight by using magnesium for the valve covers.  And magnesium flows like SHIT when you cast it, AND it's a royal pain in the ass to machine, so the outer surface finish is then generally super crappy. So I think wrinkle paint or similar wrinkly/bumpy powder coating is often used to 'hide' the natural crappy finish that would otherwise be noticeable with regular paint.  Both the old 911 and more modern E39 M62/S62 engines had such covers.  Both were really horrible surface finishes when I had them off and stripped, and got wrinkly coatings accordingly.  My 2002 cover on the other hand, is nice shiny, smooth gloss black!  Aluminum valve covers are certainly NOT the first place I'd go to shave some weight in vehicle design, but OEMs will be OEMs. . .

• Like 1

Lol thanks everyone, now I'm thinking I should paint my valve cover again, since the old wrinkle paint came off. Sounds like there's a lot of good reasons.

AustrianVespaGuy that sounds very possibly the real explanation. A little bit of googling and I see it looks like a lot of ferrari engines like the 250 gto were using magnesium valve covers too. Then maybe we were just copying the fancier cars.

Yes I agree, but to clarify I still want to know who started the trend of wrinkle valve/rocker/cam cover finish, and why did they choose to do it, just out of curiosity. If you who knows the answer come across this thread even in five years or more I give you permission to revive it. I'll take the blame.

Edited by albatcha
typo

I think AVG nailed it-  "It covers a multytood of sins".

And anyway, if you sprayed undercoat on a valve cover,

EVERYONE would know something was up!

t

getting more wrinkly as he ages.

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL