• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the point of wrinkle finish

albatcha

• 1 month later...

Sometimes the point is matching what AlpinA did.

I recently used some VHT Wrinkle-Plus paint on a little batch of gauge pods.

IMG_5340.JPG

(this was freshly wrinkled, prior to baking)

IMG_5544.JPG

Painting those was so much fun, that I decided to do this pitted old box yesterday.  We'll see how well it covers the defects.

IMG_5715.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

one hour after spraying...

IMG_5748.JPG

two hours after...

IMG_5758.JPG

... and in the end, it did not wrinkle evenly, due to sagging paint and thin areas around the inside corners.  It still looks about like the two hour photo.

This paint is fussy about even thickness.  I learned that the hard way with the gauge pods and had to strip the first coat of paint, due to uneven coverage. 

IMG_5488.JPG

Luckily, the second attempt went well.  I stripped the first coat with a razor blade and then cleaned the residue off with paint remover/mineral spirits and then sanded them again, followed by another wipe with mineral spirits.  

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5497 (1024x768).jpg

I do like this paint, but it is tricky to lay it on evenly as per the instructions, which call for three thick coats, applied five minutes apart.  Temperature may have a lot to do with it and I am at the low end of the recommended range.  The spray doesn't reach into inside corners well and it tends to run off of vertical surfaces.

A friend of mine suggested that I not share my mistakes, but I figure it might help other people avoid / deal with them; so, there you have it.

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

A friend of mine suggested that I not share my mistakes, but I figure it might help other people avoid / deal with them; so, there you have it.

Always share the mistakes!  How else do we learn??  Tom, did you use a heat gun?

I used it on some interior parts of the 2000CS.  I agree with Tom that one should follow the instructions on the can and applying the paint in warm conditions seems to help.  I did mine in direct, Texas summer sun, then applied a heat gun to get the desired texture.  Not too much heat, or it cooks it.  You can watch the texture develop and then move the heat gun across the article to get an even texture.  I know some folks who place the article in an oven to get the desired texture.

6394DEC4-F9F0-434A-80A8-12A53A2171A7.jpeg

Ed Z

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 minute ago, zinz said:

Tom, did you use a heat gun?

I did not.  Andy said he used one on his pod.  I'll try that on the little box, before I throw in the towel and strip it.  Thank you for the suggestion.

I did bake the pods in the oven for an hour at 200 degrees, per the instructions.  That shrunk the wrinkles some and really toughened up the paint.  The can says it cures in 24 hours, but it was still soft in the thick areas after 48 hours.  Baking fixed that.

Tom

10 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I did not.  Andy said he used one on his pod.  I'll try that on the little box, before I throw in the towel and strip it.  Thank you for the suggestion.

That Snap-On box will look great once you hit it with the heat gun.  Perhaps try it before stripping it, maybe it will react?

Ed

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Sometimes the point is matching what AlpinA did.

I recently used some VHT Wrinkle-Plus paint on a little batch of gauge pods.

IMG_5340.JPG

(this was freshly wrinkled, prior to baking)

IMG_5544.JPG

Painting those was so much fun, that I decided to do this pitted old box yesterday.  We'll see how well it covers the defects.

IMG_5715.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

one hour after spraying...

IMG_5748.JPG

two hours after...

IMG_5758.JPG

... and in the end, it did not wrinkle evenly, due to sagging paint and thin areas around the inside corners.  It still looks about like the two hour photo.

This paint is fussy about even thickness.  I learned that the hard way with the gauge pods and had to strip the first coat of paint, due to uneven coverage. 

IMG_5488.JPG

Luckily, the second attempt went well.  I stripped the first coat with a razor blade and then cleaned the residue off with paint remover/mineral spirits and then sanded them again, followed by another wipe with mineral spirits.  

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5497 (1024x768).jpg

I do like this paint, but it is tricky to lay it on evenly as per the instructions, which call for three thick coats, applied five minutes apart.  Temperature may have a lot to do with it and I am at the low end of the recommended range.  The spray doesn't reach into inside corners well and it tends to run off of vertical surfaces.

Tom

Tom, 

I just can't say enough about the quality of your workmanship.When I pulled my gauge pods from the box yesterday I was just in heaven. Thanks again Man for your expertise with metals and trading Emails..

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coloincaalpine said:

Tom, 

I just can't say enough about the quality of your workmanship.When I pulled my gauge pods from the box yesterday I was just in heaven. Thanks again Man for your expertise with metals and trading Emails..

Dan

He is a guru, isn't he?  Master Tinker, indeed.

Ed Z

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The heat gun helped get some of the thin paint on the inside to wrinkle, but it is not as nice as I'd like it to be.  It's tricky to get poof-can paint to fall into the corners.  I've got a tiny modeling air brush that might be fun to try.  Maybe I could spray this paint into its little cup and shoot the inside corners first and then use the rattle-can for the rest of it.

I goofed again (hi Ed), when I made this little stand and neglected to add the cross bracing.  I left it on the bench and came back to find it on the floor.  The fresh paint on the inside has some dings, but I can live with that, since it's already kind of screwed up.  At least it happened before the outside had been painted.

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

A time laps series of photographs would be fun to watch as it wrinkles.  (easily amused here)  While it was still wet and beginning to wrinkle, I was afraid I'd put it on too thick, but I'm happy with how it came out in the end.  I'll put it in the oven to toughen up the paint.

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

Old PLOMB and SK tool boxes used wrinkle coat paint.  So did early CRAFTSMAN boxes, in a really nice dark blue color.  Some were fine frosty looking finishes and others were squigglier thicker coats.

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

Wrinkle paint makes tools grippier.  It also reduces glare.  My appreciation is growing as I get more familiar with it.  It looks like black frost on this little box and the letters look like they've been wrapped with thread.  If I could do it over, I'd apply a little less paint, but it's flattened out some, since the photo below was taken.

IMG_5783.JPG

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
I've finally learned to copy my post before submitting, to make it easier to correct the lost-text glitch
  • Like 1

Thanks, Rick.

I thought about that, but with thin sheet metal, it seemed like it would be difficult to heat it evenly and the heat would be gone quite quickly in my cool shop (not in Texas).  I can see where temperature would make a big difference and preheating thicker parts like valve covers makes good sense.

Tom

Well  I am north of you and no heat in my shop either   try it even on the light sheet metal      It will hold the heat long enough to get the paint sprayed on      These days, I prefer to powder coat stuff  I have red, black blue and green wrinkle powder.     I, also, have a powder that comes out more like a sandpaper finish that looks very cool   I am waiting to get some black splatter style powder that matches the look of the metal lower steering column cover     That will be interesting