• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery relocation sanity check.

Dudeland

Some people use the TEP setup, some go under rear seat, and some use a battery box in the trunk.

i have a Tii so will probably do the battery box in the trunk, at least I can get to the alternator and change the oil easier then, it’s easy, revesrable, and no drilling the rear strut towers.

koogleweks did a rear battery tray POC, it’s really nice, but as yet, isn’t in production, I’d buy one in s heartbeat!

I think the E30 cable is still the copper standard for a clean, stout installation.

That said, every 3- series since the E30 has used smaller (read, lighter) wire.

The shock- tower mounted bracket looks nice, but the upper cups of the shock mounts

are very light metal.  I haven't seen an attractive rear mount that was affordable relative

to just making your own.

t

would use aluminium wire, bkuz racekar

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks much. I don’t think I will do the rear race strut, just because I want the extra space. I will tuck a battery off to the side.

Any preferred lipo battery? Odyssey seems to be the one of choice for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

This is an Odyssey battery aluminum frame bolted through the trunk floor. Found it on line at 1/4 the price available from Rennline. Battery ground is connected to a 12mm stud welded to the trunk floor. A direct 10 awg battery ground is provided to the engine compartment along with the battery power. I think it is from an E30, not sure.

IMG_1190.jpg

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Thanks much. I don’t think I will do the rear race strut, just because I want the extra space. I will tuck a battery off to the side.

Any preferred lipo battery? Odyssey seems to be the one of choice for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you mount a LIPO battery, in the trunk? They weigh less than 3 pounds and take up less space than a big sandwich.They fit easily under the rear seat and are out of the way forever. Hell, you could probably fit it under a front seat!

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

My Kirkland December 2013 battery is getting tired as of late. Debating to make my own rear shock tower brace and battery tray.

My set up takes up way to much trunk space I think.   I do like the idea of under the rear seat. I have speakers there now, but that could change.  Oh these rabbit holes. 

IMG_3081.thumb.JPG.e5f2388634a6487764dafa3907bfef26.JPG

• Like 1

I would think a nice new small light battery in the standard location would be just fine. They are getting smaller and lighter.

Many threads on this. 

Unless you need macho room under da hood......

Just a question for the Tobe King: 

Why (as the Brits say) spelled phonetically: Al loom in e yum cable for Rase kar?  isn't Al (Atomic number 13)  flambe? 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

10 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

I would think a nice new small light battery in the standard location would be just fine. They are getting smaller and lighter.

Many threads on this. 

Unless you need macho room under da hood......

Just a question for the Tobe King: 

Why (as the Brits say) spelled phonetically: Al loom in e yum cable for Rase kar?  isn't Al (Atomic number 13)  flambe? 

I kinda need to make space for this. 

0440919A-3D95-41C2-9EA3-DCE07326CFC4.thumb.jpeg.0d1d022a5ea294b5ec77ca129aafed57.jpeg.9f9585530c68f10c967922f21000d4bd.jpeg

Because of this. 

5F2C522F-2244-451F-8B66-935E6F8A9645.thumb.jpeg.4bee45226a8884c3d2a35b978e38f1dc.jpeg.6f758d9f0a4c8860d2f6b94368cd5982.jpeg

Not sure that I can snake the charge tube through what is there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

11 hours ago, Simeon said:

Wherever you mount it, make some provision for jump starting it somewhere accessible. 

Thanks and Yes.  I have seen some conventional booster cable attachments under the hood. But if it was in the trunk I may be ok, although the rear trunk release may be the issue. Gotta make sure I have a key. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Lots of info here:

I bought an AntiGravity ATX-12-HD and will be mounting it in the stock location - weighs 3 lbs, is 1/3rd the size of the original battery, and I won't have to mess with running thicker cables through the car.

ed1b84d0b8926098642b7847143ea807.jpg

Edited by xr4tic
  • Like 5

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!