• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is anyone manufacturing new wire harness?

02jake

Autosparks in UK:

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/finder

They only list later car, but they have a reputation for supporting customisation and i am sure they would happily copy one you supplied

BMW 2002 & 2002TII LEFT HAND DRIVE WIRING HARNESS SET

PART NO:BM9

YEAR:circa 1975

FINISH:PVC Cables with a Cloth Taped Outer

CHASSIS NO:Actual Pattern came from Chassis # 3696189, Series E10

LHD 2002 & Tii Harness Set. Some original plugs are not fitted to our harness as they're no longer available. Please call or email us for further details.

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

7 hours ago, 02jake said:

i found the company making harnesses for 74+ but looking for a 71

74+ would be ‘good enough’. Definitely better than starting from scratch in terms of the problems to be solved. Even if that means working it out to use a 6 fuse board. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 hours ago, Simeon said:

74+ would be ‘good enough’.

Not so sure about that...compare even a 12 fuse roundie with a 12 fuse squarelight and you'll find significant differences, especially at the fuse box.  And trying to adapt a 12 fuse harness to a six fuse car would be a nightmare!  

Unless yours has been damaged by fire or is badly corroded, those harnesses last a long time. 

I read today that the European Union is requiring car makers there to use soy-based insulation on car wiring rather than the long-used PVC, as it makes the wiring much easier to recycle.  It also provides a feast for any nearby rodent.  So if you have a newer European car, beware.  The same article also mentioned dryer sheets as a good anti-rodent defense.  And if you wrap your bars of Irish Spring soap and mothballs in dryer sheets, you'll be the Pied Piper of autodom.  

mike

• Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On my ‘72, in an exceedingly impetuous moment, I realized that when working on the interior, if a wire wasn’t cracked when I grabbed it, it was when I let it go. I cut the entire wiring harness out of the car and entered my own personal twilight zone. I had never done this type work before. I bought the 12 circuit Painless  kit from Summit. The kit was excellent. I also bought a lot of very excellent new wire from them. I took a wiring diagram to Kingco and blew it up to 3x4 and put it on the wall. I carefully color traced each circuit. The Painless kit is basically designed for US style cars and European cars are much different, but it can work...with work. The thing about this type project is unless you have a very focused mind, once you start it you have to stay on it. Walk away from it for a while and I don’t give a damn what your notes say, you take a few steps back in order to get back to any confidence to go forward, at least I did. I was self employed and worked a lot and finally hired a good kid to finish for me what I simply didn’t have the time to sort for myself. It was a costly project. Getting the correct connectors etc was a challenge. Should you choose to do this, get everything together first. You don’t want to be delayed in searching. Today, it will be easier, but in the early ‘00’s it was tough. 

I visited an outfit in Rhode Island who specialize in wiring harnesses. While there they were doing a Hupmobile harness. They said they could duplicate any factory harness if the had one to copy. The ‘72 came out great, but it would have been quicker and I believe cheaper to have gone with the re-manuf harness. As well, it would have the right colored wires, which mine did not. It is an interesting project, but look before you leap.

• Like 2

No they did not. I was well on the way with the Painless kit before I heard of them. While their site is a bit archaic;) their catalog of cars done is rather broad. If provided a complete harness they will duplicate it.

• Like 1

'Actual Pattern came from Chassis # 3696189, Series E10'

What's that vin decode as?

What's an E10?

If you're going to use that harness, you might as well get all 

the electrical switches that go with it, as well as the wiper motor,

as it's all going to be very different from a 6 fuse '71.

t

uses soy on his rice

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

'Actual Pattern came from Chassis # 3696189, Series E10'

What's that vin decode as?

What's an E10?...

VIN 3696189 is a Euro-spec, LHD, 2002, manufactured November 1974. (According to RealOEM.com, and confirmed, without the specific month, by the VIN decoder offered by the 2002 Car Club of Columbia)

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 year later...

I saw this on Wheeler Dealers and thought that the BMW community could benefit. They have a new BMW 2002 wiring harness for sale, as well as other classic car electric products.

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/finder

Expensive, but available.

Fortunately, I was able to reuse my old harness in rebuilding may 1974 2002. And while I did look for a new one, I never found a source for a 2002 wiring harness, so I thought that others may find this useful.

Michael

It sucks that our options for wiring are limited and expensive.  

Autosparks only does a harness for newer, 12 fuse 2002s.  I emailed with them and confirmed that. They can do a custom harnesses, but you would need to ship your wiring to the UK.

The best option in the US is RI Wireworks. That's who I want to use. You must send them your complete harness with labels and a wire diagram. The connectors will be modern shielded variants but the wiring pattern will match.  They won't quote a price until you send in your harness for inspection, but I've been warned that its very expensive.  

WolfburgWest makes a really nice reproduction VW beetle harnesses. I tracked down their supplier (Wiring Works), who operates out of LA, but he ONLY does VWs and wouldn't even entertain making a BMW harness.  I was really impressed when I used their harness for my 66 Beetle because its accurate down to the connectors and wrapping, so its disappointing they cant help us.  

• Like 1

They made 6 trillion bugs.

Less than 600,000 2002s.

60.000 still exist.

there are 600 variants to the 2002 wiring harness.

How many more you sell before you make profit?

t

fixes his old harnesses.  Takes a while.  But works.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL