• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Speed / Add or detract from value of otherwise stock car

M5280RCR

I have a stock  73 tii with, repaint in original Riviera Blue.  It is by no means a show car, but a pretty good 10-footer, daily driver when it is not raining or too hot.  I am toying with the idea of the 245 getrag 5-speed swap, but in the back of my mind I am wondering if that add or detracts (or has no impact) on resale value.  FWIW, I don't plan on selling the car for 20+ years, when I am too old to push in a clutch.  I would store the original tranny, so that someone could always put it back on if they wanted to for some reason.

Other than shelling our the money for the swap, I believe it is a no-brainer, but curious what others think of this one mod and the effect on the cars valuation.

TIA

PS.  I know the BBS rims are not stock, but I do have the original 13' chromodora's

tii crystal spring.jpg

• Like 1

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

One reason I bought my 1973 Tii was it had a 5-speed. 3K all day at 70. 

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

I had searched months ago and did not see a post, I should have searched again before asking.  Anyway, awesome thread, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

2 hours ago, M5280RCR said:

Other than shelling our the money for the swap, I believe it is a no-brainer,

You said it yourself

If you are keeping the car indefinitely, then set it up to enjoy it   You'll never look back on the decision 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just completed the swap, modifying my own shifter bits and shortening the driveshaft myself (!). I have to say the past 400 miles have been the most pleasant in over 22 years of owning 2002s. Less NVH, better gas mileage, smoother operation in general.

What I wasn't prepared for were all the "new" sounds like seats creaking and stuff shifting in the glove box during spirited driving at speed.

If you really own and drive the car and aren't just holding on to it waiting to cash in, I think this one is a no brainer.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The 02s are rapidly appreciating in value and approaching collector status, although, still not in the realm of the Porsches such as the 356, 912 and early 911s. The 02 is at a transition point now where there are still a lot of us who were having fun over the years swapping motors, gearboxes and doing all kinds of modifications frowned upon by purists and collectors. Many of us did this because the BMWs were cheap and parts were abundant. But, this is no longer the case. Gone are the days when you can walk into a Pick Your Part Yard and purchase a fairly clean 02 for $600. If you didn't want the entire car, you could have opted for just the engine at $125, or you could have yanked the 245 5 speed from a 320i for the same amount, $125. And, for an additional $75 you could have also yanked the 3.90 LSD diff from the 320is. You get my point ?

In the long run, the addition of the 245 OD 5 speed will depreciate the value of your car. Furthermore, it is my opinion that the 245 OD 5 speed is an over rated transmission. I have one on my 67 1600 coupled to a 2 liter motor and a 4.10 LSD. The shift points with this combination give me the impression that I'k driving a truck because the car feels way too under geared. 1st gear is useless and 2nd gear has taken the place of 1st. I can climb moderately steep hills in 5th gear at 2,000 rpms. In comparison to a 2 liter mated to a 4 speed and 3.64, I'm just barely taller in 5th gear. The diff of choice to use with the 245 OD 5 speed is the 3.90, otherwise 5th is too tall for the 3.64 diff. And wit this combo, you're about 10% taller in comparison to the 3.64 with the 4 speed. The 245 OD works better with the short stroke 1.8L 1nd 1.6L motors with short gear ratios and shorter piston strokes.

My other car is a 69 1600 with all stock mechanicals, and I would never trade in my Porsche synchroed 4 speed trans for a 245 OD 5 speed. The 245 feels very notchy when shifting. I personally don't like the way it feels. I've been driving both of my cars and comparing the two trannies. The early Porsche synchroed gearboxes are superior. Your 73 does not have this early transmission, but I would still not swap it for a 245.

Your car will loose value in the long run if you install the 245 5 speed.

And, it is not all that it is touted to be.

The 2002 feels great with the 3.64.

Slavs

I firmly believe it adds to the value. If I had the option of two equal cars, but one had a 5 speed... I'd pay a tad more for the 5 speed car. 

Like your wheels, you can always garage the original 4 speed to include or swap back to at the time of sale depending on what the market dictates as more valuable, or if you're down to having to take an originality-monger's money who will accept nothing-but. 

And given the arc of spare parts these days, at that point you then sell your 5 speed for 12k. ? ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slavs said:

for an additional $75 you could have also yanked the 3.90 LSD diff from the 320is

If only someone out there had one of these and would be happy to double their investment by selling it to me for 150... hah. I still need a diff option and they're all eye-wateringly expensive for LSD's. 

5 hours ago, Slavs said:

The 245 feels very notchy when shifting. I personally don't like the way it feels. I've been driving both of my cars and comparing the two trannies. The early Porsche synchroed gearboxes are superior.

. . . this is surprising to me.  Firstly, I don't think I've ever driven a Getrag that I would describe as 'notchy,' that word is much more applicable to the ZF boxes in my experience.  Of the 3 242s and 2 245s I've owned, they all shifted similarly to each other, and I'd generally describe it as bottom end of the shifter sitting in a giant tub of butter, with just a slight 'snick' to let you know you've indeed found your gear.  Granted I don't think I've ever driven a car with a 232, but my dad had a 911 with the 915 transaxle and Porsche baulk ring syncros, and we both thought that thing shifted like crap compared to the 2002s (albeit the cable-actuated clutch and long shift linkage back to the transaxle probably didn't help very much).  That coupled with the fact that Porsche switched away from their own baulk rings to borg-warner syncros later on in the 80s always led me to believe that the Syncromesh was the superior design.

Not saying your observations on you cars are incorrect, just that they run a bit contrary to what I would expect.  Are you sure there's nothing wrong/worn with your 245 unit?

This I definitely do agree with though, matching your rear end is critical for proper gearing!

5 hours ago, Slavs said:

The diff of choice to use with the 245 OD 5 speed is the 3.90, The 2002 feels great with the 3.64

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy

I don't even consider it a modification any more. More of an "update" like Hella H4s or a decent audio system. It can all be undone  except for a couple of extra mount brackets or holes and a section of tunnel that has been rubber mallet massaged. Even those changes could be undone I suppose.

I plan on keeping the original 4 speed and driveshaft and would offer/include  to any future prospective buyer.  

I've never driven a 5 speed 02, really looking forward to it.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris