• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does the market take this BaT offering?

joysterm

35 minutes ago, iinca said:

Nice car!!! but I'll nit pick lol...>

the new Grenada paint being off by a shade... too bright. Or is this a Verona car?

no air filter assembly.... 

no stock dampers. .

It's my opinion that using Bilsteins in a big money restoration is lame. That's right I said it haha..

I say if your going 

for the full on RESTORED big $$ goal the car has to BE as delivered or close to that.

LOL. My tii had Bilstein shocks that were painted black.  I later replaced them with the proper looking new Bilstein units.

• Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The sloppiness of the BaT presentation (loveless photography, weak shot selection & variety, mediocre description) is a HUGE turn-off to me. What a shame, as this is a rare and quite nice car (I won’t say super-nice because one just gets the impression that they stopped short of going that crucial, extra mile in numerous facets of the restoration).  Maybe it’s just me, but that degree of carelessness and lack of pride in the listing presentation makes one question the integrity of the car itself. Perhaps that’s unfair, but it’s also human nature. Kind of like, if her toenails are funky, then...what else? 

Oh yeah, kprocyk’s somewhat slobbering “step right up, get it while it’s hot folks” post here is almost verbatim from his BaT comments and feels suspiciously like someone with a dog in the fight. Sincere apologies in advance if I’m wrong about that, but it’s the impression one gets, particularly from a brand new, BaT commenter. A top-quality listing with superb photos & prose would go a lot further towards generating bidding excitement.

Should still do well given its rarity...but it’s potential could have been so much higher.

COOP

Edited by COOP
  • Like 3

Wow, this BMW 2002 TI has the factory close ratio five-speed, a limited slip differential and fresh motor. This car should be a total hoot to drive, especially given the dynamometer sheet says it makes approximately 142 hp. Driving my car with the close ratio five-speed , low mileage rebuild but stock motor Is fun, but driving this particular car would in many ways be one of the purest BMW driving experience s you can imagine anywhere in the world. A good well tuned TI motor with Side draft Solex carburetors is nicer than most people would imagine. I had a 2000 CS many years ago, essentially the same motor, which was amazingly strong in a much heavier car.

This would be a great car for somebody to get and perfect as it is so close to excellence, all the nasty body work has been done.

The color looks right, people don't realize how pretty Granada is when it's fresh, it's almost never seen. Mike Pughs 1600 TI is the only recent example I can think of. My car was originally Granada but repainted Verona, you can see how much brighter it is.

This car will only need relatively pleasant detail work, correct European front bumper covers and minor details to make it not only stunning, but remember it will be awesome to drive. I don't know what they spent on the restoration but it seems like around US$70-US$80,000 are what very good examples are fetching these days. 

I hope that the owner get out from under the restoration costs, which may be why this car is for sale. It is hard for me to imagine someone selling this car if they had driven it enough, that is to say experienced it's amazing handling, strong motor and the smile that puts on your face while over steering. 

This BMW 2002 TI is in many ways the best example of the"Ultimate driving machine" for the double clutching, Heel and toe fussing balls to the wall Driver. No turbo lag which takes  the pleasure out of tight back roadwork out of BMWs other nearly contemporaneous supercar, the original 2002 turbo . Modernists Will extol the virtues of M3's, and fives etc. But this well optioned BMW 2002 TI is one of the best drivers cars ever made.

My hope is that somebody would buy this and drive the wheels off of it grinning all the time. More likely it will be purchased, perfected and become a garage queen which is sad-this car is much more than a rare pretty face.

I'll include a picture of the contemporary 2002 racing for a little perspective and reminder.

I hope they don't lose their shirt on this car, because of the significant restoration cost, because it is a very pure sang example.

Best regards, Peter

fullsizeoutput_37e3.jpeg

DSCN8514.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

• Like 7

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

A few areas that concern me about this restoration is lack of a paint booth and the possibility of a fair amount of dirt flaws in the paint. also there seems to be some rust on the trunk floor area that was painted over or not painted at all. The distributor appears to be early iron one from a 1966-67 1600 of NK car not a 2002ti.   

1971_bmw_2002ti_15500126477ec646b5IMG-20160511-00364.jpg

1971_bmw_2002ti_154757907946b5e7189e6aIMG_0840.jpg

1971_bmw_2002ti_1550008205646b5e7189eIMG_0631.jpg

1971_bmw_2002ti_15500121277ec646b5IMG_0050.jpg

Edited by Jeff

Unfortunately, I agree with COOP.  It's a shame, but from the photos and description, it's hard to tell if this is a really nice car or not.  Even in the poor photos, there are plenty of nits to pick, but that certainly doesn't mean it isn't a nice car.  I do like that it retains features that appear unique to the Canadian ti, including the US headlight buckets, bumper over riders, and mph speedometer.  I think it's also interesting that Granada seems to have been a popular color for Canadian ti's, that's three fully functioning examples I can think of.  it's also interesting that the car does not have rear defrost, given delivery to a cold climate.

One thing for sure, that car had a lot of rust.

1971 2002ti

16 hours ago, jgerock said:

LOL. My tii had Bilstein shocks that were painted black.  I later replaced them with the proper looking new Bilstein units.

Most of the black painted Bilstein shocks in 2002 are actually Alpina bilsteins, never be hasty to get rid of those and always check the numbers on them. 

If they really put that much into it, they started with a poor specimen which the wheel arches kind of confirm. If it was a 1502 in Europe, it would have been a donor.

Shame that the details are a let down, but I'm curious to see what it actually goes for. There were two much truer 2002ti's for sale on mobile.de, but as you don't see what was achieved you don't know where the market is going.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

2 hours ago, Jam3422 said:

Unfortunately, I agree with COOP.  It's a shame, but from the photos and description, it's hard to tell if this is a really nice car or not.  Even in the poor photos, there are plenty of nits to pick, but that certainly doesn't mean it isn't a nice car.  I do like that it retains features that appear unique to the Canadian ti, including the US headlight buckets, bumper over riders, and mph speedometer.  I think it's also interesting that Granada seems to have been a popular color for Canadian ti's, that's three fully functioning examples I can think of.  it's also interesting that the car does not have rear defrost, given delivery to a cold climate.

One thing for sure, that car had a lot of rust.

I think you need to see the car in person before bidding, the pictures don't show well...

Edited by MarkD

my cars: 74 2002tii, 2x 93 M5, 2007 328i

www.dsylva-tech.ca

4 hours ago, Jam3422 said:

it's also interesting that the car does not have rear defrost,  

I am almost certain that my friend’s ti did not have rear defrost. Even if this isn’t the same car, the option for the rear may have not been delivered to all the Canbec cars in Montreal.

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

Apparently, none of us (or at least not I) know anything whatsoever about these cars and their proper restoration, as this was the off-thread note sent to me last night by procyk  (see below). And here I thought I had my butt covered in the previous post with my “sincere apologies in advance if I’m wrong” lol.

I was going to mention my role as project manager on the bare-shell restoration of my ex-‘72 Baikal tii (The Quail invitee, Hillsborough Concours best-in-class, Carmel Concours on the Avenue best-in-class, Legends of the Autobahn best-in-class, Seinfeld’s Comedians in Cars Getting Cofee feature car, Bimmer Magazine feature car, etc) but I figured it’s probably not worth it since I “honestly have no idea.”

“Thanks for your insightful comment. You honestly have no idea about ti's so thanks for your opinion.

I have a ti that has been in my family since 1971 and that I am currently restoring, I have more experience and knowledge of and with these cars than most people. I have no vested interest in this vehicle or the seller. I was only trying to point out how nice this car is in person and what an excellent job the seller did in restoring this very rare historic BMW. Seeing a picture of a car or seeing it in person is night and day. I was trying to be helpful to any interested parties that this car is the real deal.

I love the hypercritical enthusiasts who have a "right" to pick apart someone's years of work and dedication to a project and then crap on people who try to offer first-hand non-partial observations.

Keep up the good work! 

Kris Procyk”

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

Most of the black painted Bilstein shocks in 2002 are actually Alpina bilsteins, never be hasty to get rid of those and always check the numbers on them. 

Lol- doubt they were Alpina.  Black POR appeared to be brushed on them.  Will look to see if I saved them- could have been Boge.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"