• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike rack advice

Man, long time no post.  Tii’s seem to have gone up in price... saw one go for 45k on bring a trailer.  

Anyway, in my absence i finished a 911 restoration, started racing, flipped my race car 4.5 times (after the best of times!), and got into biking.  And then i found this very cool Silca shirt.  I guess they used the 2002 for their support vehicles for their racing teams.  

Anyway, i figured it might be time to stop turning my nose up at all the “on trend” bike racks (is it still on trend?) and actually get a rack... to use for actually carrying bikes.  How awesome of a biking adventure would that be????

Any advice for a jaded man like me? (Aside from “shove it”)

1B12ABFE-BE59-4E49-9540-5D672BA80586.thumb.jpeg.96636e7de0ca5249baef792c927843ba.jpeg

41D82A6F-DFD6-48A3-B61D-226DF323ED53.thumb.jpeg.4514e246fc7e7a45d96e0c20c2f6944f.jpeg

Edited by gliding_serpent2

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

I haul bikes on my car often..I use a set of gutter mount Thule racks with big mouth upright carrier..works well. The one with me driving was taken by a friend then texted to me to share with me how absurd it looks. To me, although I value my car I also (re)built it and like to use it.IMG_04711.jpeg9246c1da4b0de7b2319faf3b3aa56ae9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

The original bumpers on squarelights are more than sturdy enough to handle a clamp-on bumper rack--and even the chrome bumper roundies can handle a couple of lightweight bikes (no cruisers, please).  Back in the 70s we carried bicycles on an inexpensive bumper mounted rack from Ohio to the Outer Banks for many years with no problems at all.  Good quality roof racks with bike mounts just weren't available then.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 minutes ago, Mike G said:

The steel on the roof is so thin and oil can like, I would be worried that the cups would pull the panel out of shape with the twisting motion of a bike hanging off of them. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

When I worked at the bike shop we would use Seasuckers to display some tandems on the store window. 

They are strong, and a good solution for weird situations.

I still have my original Yakima with the 1A towers. Nylon is kind to the body. Nice that I can use on the 02 or e30 with minor adjustments.

The period correct racks, like LaPrealpina, are metal and less kind to body and trim.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

To add to last post when I put my gutter racks on I take a 1" x 3" piece of an old tube between foot and gutter for a little added protection. I will say when empty you will think you have a bad wheel bearing or something as it doesn't whistle as much as it did on my e30 but it more "growls" in the wind..I take mine off often for longer trips.

Just because I miss it, bad picture below of my old e30 with a now old school freeride bike..such a great car.
3976bd6a3c07c4008f982468d74df186.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

Agreed.  Going to put a Yakima rain gutter mount on mine so I don't have to always drive the truck when taking a bike.  It can be cool or hip or not- I've been liking racks on top of cars since the '80s (always hated the damned things hanging on the rear bumper.)

Oh, and put the fairing on the front of the rack.  Makes a big difference in wind noise.  Unless you have a box- then no fairing.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 2002s the gutter mounted racks are my favorite.  I also prefer the ones where you can bolt down the front fork as I feel it holds the bike more stable and it doesn't stick up quite as high, plus most wheels fit quite well in that spacious trunk.  If noise is an issue, a super cheap and easy solution is to take a long bungee cord and spiral wrap it around the front and/or rear cross bars.  Ever see those antennae with the little wire spiral wrapped around the outside? That has nothing to do with radio reception!

• Like 1

If you look around the interwebs, you might find a set of vintage Thule gutter-mounts. 

I picked a set up, with cross-bars, for 30 euro. And me, being me, restored the shit outa' em.

For the rack, I just got whatever Thule's modern tray-style mount is and bought that. Looks great, works great. Win-Win.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2e4.thumb.jpg.c7557244d64ebe770a4c294cd1b0c909.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2d5.thumb.jpg.74e75ef370bba6b815dadff4925c6987.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2b0.thumb.jpg.603d7a70fe15b2fa3ff5822d49901770.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2d3.thumb.jpg.956dd58b9d073e04745f25d0853981f3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e1d5.thumb.jpg.6a4b5c0615cf8e233526f39167bd0297.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, MikeinNC said:

I have an old Performance Bike Rack on my daily driver    It is essentially a clone of a Thule gutter mount system

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

Too bad the Performance Bike shops are closing.  There is one close to me that is closing.  Bet they would have great deals on racks.  I had (still have) a folding trunk mount rack from them.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Arguably the best solution would be a rain gutter rack, I also have a  Seasucker rack as a quick back up for any of the family vehicles. The suction cup rack involves roof pre cleaning to avoid scratching 

I sourced the Yakima off eBay @ $100.00

A28BC6FE-5D7E-4395-9287-2441688E3A53.thumb.jpeg.7361e91c120675eabead56b10f34ed86.jpeg549F27FA-D859-4EF2-8385-F777FEBB2AEE.jpeg.0cb59242ec2c31a0ef3197cb3da77d0f.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

10 hours ago, Simeon said:

he steel on the roof is so thin and oil can like, I would be worried that the cups would pull the panel out of shape with the twisting motion of a bike hanging off of them. 

Actually the 02 steel is much more robust than my other modern cars in my Sea Sucker experiences. I’ve only used it a handful of times on 3 different vehicles. 

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook