• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rubber Seals Update and Paint Question

hwy61

Hello all,

Getting ready to paint my '74, and was wondering if there are any updates on seal kits. After extensive searches and readings it seems like Blunt was the best but has anyone had any luck with the Uro seals that Pelican is selling? Thanks!

My '74 is 070 Golf and I was wondering about the closest match in paint brands. (hope this isn't like oil... : )

Cheers,

Pete

2002 Golf 070 ColorRite.png

2002 Golf Dupont.png

2002 Golf PPG Paint.png

fullsizeoutput_b6e.jpeg

• Like 1

Lots of threads on the topic of OEM seals versus Uro seals. My sense is that 9 out of 10 owners prefer OEM, but not the price of OEM.

Admittedly, none of the modern seals is guaranteed perfect — not that seals have ever been guaranteed perfect!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Golf Yellow is like Mintgrun, lots of different shades between the paint manufacturers.  You might have better luck trying to color match an original panel (inside trunk lid), or having your painter do some spray-outs to make sure you like the color before he starts.  My first try at repainting Mintgrun ended up with a slightly milky version (more mint) that was the result of a bad paint code formula in their computer.  The second batch was spot on to the original paint in the trunk.

Mark92131

IMG_1182.JPG

2017-01-06 16.20.16.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Just bought oem seals from blunt.
Front windshield 198 rear 189
Doors 267
Rear vents 69
Trunk 53
Hood 36

I don’t want any problems or to have to do these jobs again. Really the only pricey ones are the doors. Seems worth it to me to get them right after painting the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

In my opinion (after recently installing full uro seal kit all around) if you have room in the budget for the oem seals, get them. I was on a tight budget so bmw seals were not an option for me. I was not a fan of the uro seals while installing them and am still not super excited about them months later... Definitely still need to do some fine tuning with a dremel and sanding drum as others have done on the door seals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

+ 1 on having an original sample of Golf (not "Gulf" per the PPG listing!) from your car color matched by a paint supply shop.  The Sahara paint on my '73 has portions done in 1991, 1995, 2003, 2007 and 2018--all by the same shop--and it all matches!

In most cases, the only part of the door seal that really deteriorates is the vertical section that seals the trailing edge of the door glass to the body.  That section is a separate molding from the rest of the door seal; with the advent of 3d printing, someone could make some $$ by reproducing only these sections as a replacement part.  I'd be in line for two sets...

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite