• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How bad could it be- tii fuel injection

Dionk

Found a tii for sale - considering buying it.

Fuel injection is pulled apart. How bad could it be?  

I ask because I have no idea what an overhaul of this system could cost and or entail.

If parts are missing:

~500-1K USD for a used pump

~100USD per injector used

if parts are not functioning

~50USD to clean/poptest injectors

~1KUSD to reseal/recalibrate pump if needed (pumps can be unrebuildable if terribly abused)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

1 hour ago, Dionk said:

Fuel injection is pulled apart. How bad could it be?  

I ask because I have no idea what an overhaul of this system could cost and or entail.

That's kind of a big opening for the obvious question, Apart but all there?

If so it totally depends on how apart it is, if everything is there it's a bit of a challenge but doable. You may need a few new linkage bits with new bushings. 2002 parts are quite reasonably priced, unless you're looking for Tii specific parts, those are expensive.

Getting a pump refurbished and injectors tested can range from $500-$2500 depending where you send them and how shiny you want them to come back.

The other thing is that if it is an actual Tii and missing too much you could always just convert to Carb(s).

Most likely this would not be the case, in the last 2 years I've seen 2 people go twin carbs with their Tii bits in a box now.

If you do have all the bits and you can put it back together you will need a Pro to set it up and tune it.

In Socal that seems to be running about $650-$900 and at the shop for 3-4 days for the heat cycle tuning of the warm up circuit vs. hot running.

IMG_6449.thumb.JPG.8678be479717440e45523b081e9b9f5d.JPG

IMG_0305.thumb.JPG.50cd76457fdc2fd0553c8be7f6ad4dd3.JPG

• Thanks 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

chargin says it very well,  "...... if it is an actual Tii and missing too much ...." 

It is not just what is under the hood.  There's an electric fuel pump in back, and that can be a headache when it needs replacing, there are several good threads on topic.  The downstream-from-the-fuel-pump fuel hose needs to be high-pressure hose.  There's a tiny air hose that goes from the throttle body to the air breather hose (you tii guys know it).  There are banjo fittings with small screens in the fuel delivery system.  There's a pressure valve on the back-end of the KF.  There's the return loop of gasoline from the KF back to the fuel tank, that plumbing and hardware.

So you need to know what you're looking at, and looking for.  The whole FI system is more "complicated" than just getting some gasoline into a carb.

A tii is certainly fun to drive, but getting it there can be a challenge.

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How bad could it be? Honestly, if you don't know...if you have to ask....I'd advise against even taking it on.

I will NEVER purchase and do another basket case without another preferably running example next to me to refer to. At LEAST a completely-assembled, "running when parked" example.

Same principle applies if its "just" something like a Tii engine, and I own three. I bought a 74 Tii as a basket case and after years of mostly b.s. tinkering I won't even seriously start on it til I get my 72 next to it...if nothing else just to sort the boxes of Tii specific stuff. Yeah I know the one in the picture is a Tii also, but its, well, ...different ?

Edited by dp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

Dionk,

Un-spoken in this thread thus far is the simple fact that if you are crazy enough to buy a box of parts labeled “tii injection system” -- I picture the Chick-Fil-A cows labelling it "COM-PLEET INJEKSHUN SISTUM" -- members of this forum will likely help you piece it together and, given time and money, it will inject once again: those Kugelfischers are hard to kill!  ?

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

21 hours ago, Gordon said:

If you get the car,  send the pump and your injectors to Jerry Fairchild in No Cal. Great service, quick turnaround and good prices, you won't be disappointed.  http://fuelinjectioncenter.com/

G-Man

I was really happy with Fairchild, quick turnaround and $200 lower than phone estimate.

on a side note the tuner I initially sent it to said he would only use a pump builder on the east coast he regularly uses since the pumps come back looking brand new and need 1 hour less set up, the thing is that company wanted $1900 more to do the job.

1 hour labor at the tuner was a lot less than $1900 

?

9CD77C44-352E-4DFC-B908-3F154BE1E013.thumb.jpeg.3cde7b1a4713960e9a2b1aef7d7a856e.jpeg

The car was riddled with rust.  Even if the the engine and injection could be restored - everything else was on deaths door. That said, the seller did say that he does need it gone and is considering all offers. So if your up for a challenge or looking for a tii parts car it might be for you!

IMG_2113.JPG

Edited by Dionk

5 minutes ago, Dionk said:

The car was riddled with rust.

Unfortunately this is more common than not in a 70's 2002's

Mine started like this:

505446047_Repair1.HoodBarreversed(2).thumb.JPG.10c8983d44f85f9de877c24d280636ba.JPG

like this now:

1599807924_Done2.jpg.f833de763d3b31fe4538147568adc557.jpg

Just depends how far you will go, no wrong answer there.