• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Vibration

scoopyg

Hello.  My '75 has developed a low vibration at all speeds.  I have raised the car and removed the wheels, and run the car in all gears.   I used a "stethoscope" to listen to all the joints and bearings, and nothing really sounds amiss.  I wasn't able to listen to the carrier bearing.   The vibration feels like something is out of round, and similar to an out-of-balance driveshaft or bad U-joint.   Any thoughts on what is causing this vibration?   Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, scoopyg said:

Hello.  My '75 has developed a low vibration at all speeds.  I have raised the car and removed the wheels, and run the car in all gears.   I used a "stethoscope" to listen to all the joints and bearings, and nothing really sounds amiss.  I wasn't able to listen to the carrier bearing.   The vibration feels like something is out of round, and similar to an out-of-balance driveshaft or bad U-joint.   Any thoughts on what is causing this vibration?   Thanks for any help.

If this came on fairly suddenly, check the tires. -KB

How about a simple scenario?  You dropped a balance weight off one of your rear wheels. It happened to me and I freaked out.  I was sure something major was broken.  The whole car vibrated.  The vibration started at 50mph though.   It would take a very bent wheel or crappy tire to cause vibration at all speeds.

What about the center muffler touching (vibrating against) the bottom of the car at the rearmost corner below the rear tunnel/passenger footwell?

Worth a look.  Good luck.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Many thanks gents for your suggestions.  And Hello Farshid in Dublin!  Good to hear from you my friend.  

I ruled out the tires as I had the car up on jackstands with tires off and drums removed.  The vibration isn't present as the car is revved when up on jackstands in neutral, but is present when in gear.  By "low", I mean a low-pitched vibration.  It's really pronounced at 35mph.  Again, it is present at all speeds, but is less noticeable at highway speeds. The shifter vibrates annoyingly.    My instinct was the center driveshaft bearing, and I have access to a lift, so I guess the next step is to lift the car and inspect the center bearing, which was difficult to access without a lift. 

Thanks again for all your suggestions.  I appreciate all your thoughtful insights and non-condescending answers (if you get a V8 Buick, you'll see what I mean!)  This is far and away the best old-car forum on the internet.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:12 PM, scoopyg said:

Many thanks gents for your suggestions.  And Hello Farshid in Dublin!  Good to hear from you my friend.  

I ruled out the tires as I had the car up on jackstands with tires off and drums removed.  The vibration isn't present as the car is revved when up on jackstands in neutral, but is present when in gear.  By "low", I mean a low-pitched vibration.  It's really pronounced at 35mph.  Again, it is present at all speeds, but is less noticeable at highway speeds. The shifter vibrates annoyingly.    My instinct was the center driveshaft bearing, and I have access to a lift, so I guess the next step is to lift the car and inspect the center bearing, which was difficult to access without a lift. 

Thanks again for all your suggestions.  I appreciate all your thoughtful insights and non-condescending answers (if you get a V8 Buick, you'll see what I mean!)  This is far and away the best old-car forum on the internet.

ever figure this out?

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green