• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat Belt ??

boneylee

US spec '02s did not come with 3 point shoulder harnesses in the back seat, only in the front.  However, the shoulder mounts are in place under the headliner in the C pillars on each side of the back window.  Touring also, AFAIK.  Tourings were not imported to the US, but I would suspect that the back seat shoulder harness (3 point) belt assemblies from a sedan would work in a Touring.  

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My 72 tii has only lap belts but they don't lock when pulled aggressively maybe by design or because it's broke. I also was looking to swap to a 3pt belt to accommodate some kiddos back there. This is promising if the mounts are in the pillars!

• Like 1

Tourings did not, apparently, come with rear belts as standard, only the fronts, although I'm sure they could be ordered.

What is in my Touring is generally what was fitted (over the shoulder), either aftermarket or factory ordered.

DSCN2964sm.JPG.197f7865854de210fb66524673ec1f70.JPGDSCN2863sm.JPG.4b29caadd3b0ad0a4834724c9b0f0869.JPG

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I got a set form bluedevil  They work great. You can go with the shoulder point or direct from the rear shelf.   They are helpful for child seats, Although for my short runs to school I still use the front seat.  Stats show that most high-speed collisions are frontal, I prefer the front seat since rear collisions are more likely at lower speeds (from what I can glean). 

Edited by Dudeland

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 1/23/2018 at 12:20 PM, '76mintgrun'02 said:

Your back seats have the same cloth/vinyl as the seats in my car.

This is the first time I have seen another example.

Tom (with a question embedded below for Les),

Les’s ‘74 touring’s rear seats are cloth and vinyl, of course, because it’s a Euro-spec car and a cloth and vinyl interior was both standard and customary outside the U.S.  It was a Hoffman Motors practice, however, to order all U.S. cars with the optional all-vinyl interior.  But...after BMW NA wrestled U.S. importing from Hoffman Motors in late 1974 or very early 1975, BMW NA began importing both cloth-and-vinyl interiors and all-vinyl interiors, although my remembrance is that — at least in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic region where I lived — the all-vinyl interiors far out-numbered the cloth-and-vinyl interiors.  The U.S. cloth-and-vinyl interiors were found in both 1975 and 1976 models.  And the cloth did not wear particularly well, so most are lost to us.

I’d guess that Les’s seats may have been re-done — maybe not — but I agree that the cloth looks very close to the cloth U.S. cars received during that 1975-76 period.  I say this only because of their exceptional condition.  I’m curious, Les, where you found the cloth, if, indeed, they’ve been re-done.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

18 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Tom (with a question embedded below for Les),

Les’s ‘74 touring’s rear seats are cloth and vinyl, of course, because it’s a Euro-spec car and a cloth and vinyl interior was both standard and customary outside the U.S.  It was a Hoffman Motors practice, however, to order all U.S. cars with the optional all-vinyl interior.  But...after BMW NA wrestled U.S. importing from Hoffman Motors in late 1974 or very early 1975, BMW NA began importing both cloth-and-vinyl interiors and all-vinyl interiors, although my remembrance is that — at least in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic region where I lived — the all-vinyl interiors far out-numbered the cloth-and-vinyl interiors.  The U.S. cloth-and-vinyl interiors were found in both 1975 and 1976 models.  And the cloth did not wear particularly well, so most are lost to us.

I’d guess that Les’s seats may have been re-done — maybe not — but I agree that the cloth looks very close to the cloth U.S. cars received during that 1975-76 period.  I say this only because of their exceptional condition.  I’m curious, Les, where you found the cloth, if, indeed, they’ve been re-done.

Best regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

They are the original seats. I still have the front seats but the cloth (corduroy-ish) did not wear well. They were pretty well wrecked by 70k miles. For years (before the internet!) I looked for the same material to have the fronts repaired but never found any. I had them covered with sheepskin-covers and, unfortunately, do not have a picture of them without.

Now I have the Recaros, I did think of having the rears done to match, but, as they are in such good condition, it would have been a crime.

The new carpeting is curtesy of Esty, and, I think, looks great. Originally the rear was the normal black-grey which really didn't match the tan carpet in the seating area.

5a6c8657f3d3f_Bren026.jpg.3a20967719d22e60b450f0964d2c6c7c.jpgUWX-e.thumb.jpg.c8384ce3968755f414f5e988c47315b2.jpg

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Fabulous, Les!

I was hoping that you had a source for a great match for the original cloth, if only because I fear the surviving cloth-and-vinyl interiors, especially here in the U.S., are on their way to extinction!

The touring is really looking great!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I literally just finished installing my rear seatbelts sourced from Bluedevil, and couldn't be happier with them! (Well technically, still some final bits to finish up, but they're in and functional!)

He helped me source some e39 rear belts because I wanted the extra locking feature when you pull the belts all the way out to use with a child seat:

IMG_20180126_135818.thumb.jpg.f8019dda733786d57373062b245168f6.jpg

• Like 1

I can help with touring seat belts including rear manual belts with special hooks for the male latch plate (male buckle) as shown in the pictures. Automatic rear belts is a possibility in a touring with some mods, where a small profile retractor can be bolted around the inner wheel housing area. Of course, I still provide front seat belts for any 2002/1600 or similar vintage Bimmer. I only use the highest quality parts (read German) so they cost more than other aftermarket belts but a lot less than OE BMW belts when available (not NLA). I also refurbish your original seat belts (2002, and coupes, some E30s) depending on their condition, have NOS/good used parts in stock (in limited quantities).  

• Like 1