Up for sale is my 1974 BMW 2002. It’s a west coast car (Eugene, OR). I have owned this car for the last 8 years. It’s got some surface rust/patina but nothing structural. She wears her 46 years well. The car also has some tasteful mods to make the car quicker and more reliable.
Things I have done to the car:
• New high quality german seatbelts sourced from Al Erkanli, not cheap ebay specials.
• 3-point belts installed in the rear
• Interior dyed “Bluebird Brown” using SEM dye. (I always felt that Sahara cars needed a darker interior for more contrast versus the Gobi tan from the factory.)
• Metal seat recline surrounds to replace the often broken plastic ones. (Thanks Danco!)
• New carpet setFull 2-stage (dynamat + foam) sound deadening applied to the interior
• Coco mats
• Nardi wheel with vintage BMW horn button (original steering wheel will come with the car)
• Hella Supertone horns with new relay installed. (horn still works intermittently)
• The door cards were cut when I got the car with speakers installed, so I replaced the speakers in the doors with new Alpine speakers, added Alpine 6x9’s to the rear deck, new Alpine head unit with hands-free calling, bluetooth, and an Alpine amp under the passenger seat.
• 2 USB charging ports were added in place of the dummy switch on the center console
• New dome light
• Door lock grommets were added/replaced to keep the rattles down.
• Heater box has been redone. New grommets, foam, etc. Brand new heater core was installed along with a new blower motor.
• Rear floor pans were cut out and replaced with replacement panels from Walloth and Nesch.
• Trunk was also cut out and a new trunk pressing from BMW was welded in. I bought one of the last two available at the time in the US.
• No rust on the shock towers or anywhere else underneath. This car is solid.
• Euro turn signals
• Fuel tank was professionally cleaned and a drain plug installed. Painted exterior with several coats of POR-15 and then finished with a top coat.
• Brand new fuel sender
• New fuel filler neck installed with new gaskets.
• All new self-sealing OEM plastic fuel lines installed.
• Fuel tank is vented to atmosphere (like Euro cars) using OEM parts (No more vapor tank)
• LED bulbs in stop lights with new lens on the left rear. Tail lights were disassembled, cleaned and painted silver to provide brighter light.
• Hella third brake light installed from Daniel Stern Lighting
• Hella H4 headlights installed
•Hella fog lights wired to dummy switch on the dash for factory look
• Ireland Engineering air dam installed. There was a small amount of rust in the lower nose on the exterior skin that was cut out and new metal welded in. A skim coat of filler applied over it. Everything was painted before installing the air dam.
• Bumpers front and rear are tucked in about 4 inches. Looks much nicer than the original diving boards.
• New Windshield installed
• New gaskets installed on windshield and rear window
• Engine was rebuilt by previous owner. Block was hot tanked, new pistons, etc.
• 320i all metal radiator installed. Temp stays at 3’0 clock even in NYC traffic.
• New thermostat
• New waterpump
• Port-matched Canon intake
• Stainless steel headers
• New 38/38 Weber with ITG foam filter
• All new silicone hoses from IE
• New high torque lightweight starter
• Refurbished 90 amp Bosch alternator
• Full electronic ignition installed (MSD Streetfire, Ireland Engineering Tii mechanical advanced distributor, with zero-resistance rotor installed)
• New 8mm High performance wires
• Tach does not work (needs tach adapter for Streetfire)
• Top End Performance strut bar and engine brace
• New motor mounts
• All new rubber bushings for every bushing on the car
• New control arms
• New Ball Joints
• New track rod
• New Bilstein Sport shocks and struts
• New H&R Sport springs
• New 3 Dot urethane pads in the rear to level out the car
• New ST Sways bars with urethane end links
• All suspension parts were disassembled, pressure washed and painted before reassembly.
The car corners like it’s on rails. Doing the suspension 100% transformed how this car handled.
•Transmission was replaced with a good 4-speed. Shifter linkage, throw-out bearing were done at this time. Shifts smoothly through all of the gears without any slop.
• New 5 series transmission mount (Beefier than stock…mmm beef)
Extra transmission and differential included in the sale along with an original wood grain instrument cluster to revert to stock look if desired. Original steel wheels in great condition also included wrapped in older Toyo rubber. Original steering wheel, a couple of MANN oil filters, and case of VR-1 20w50 oil are coming along for the ride to enhance your driving pleasure.
I'll be taking more photos this week and posting in FB Marketplace and Craigslist, but I wanted to list it here first. Asking $14.5k