• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

25 minutes ago, Bibm5 said:

Pulled the head with schrick cam and Stahl header off of my "new to me" parts car today to go on my 02.
I'm very excited about these because I bought the car for the 5spd tranny and lsd. These were icing on the cake!

Nice.  Which head did you get?  Much port work?  (Not all heads flow the same... That's about the extent that I know- just enough to ask the question, not enough to know the answer.  :)  )

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Nice.  Which head did you get?  Much port work?  (Not all heads flow the same... That's about the extent that I know- just enough to ask the question, not enough to know the answer.  :)  )
It's an e21 head. The car is a 1982 but I got lucky, the head says 76 on the side so the distributor spins clockwise. I know nothing about porting or what to even look for to determine if it has been ported or not.
I've been debating whether to swap the cam to my head and continue on with a mechanical fuel pump or to use the e21 head and switch to an electric pump. No matter which way I go I'll send the head off to the machine shop to have it pressure checked and probably get a valve job as well. The block I pulled it off had flat top pistons. I was hoping it had some crazy exotic pistons like some people on here uncover but I'll take what I can get!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

It's an e21 head. The car is a 1982 but I got lucky, the head says 76 on the side so the distributor spins clockwise. I know nothing about porting or what to even look for to determine if it has been ported or not.
I've been debating whether to swap the cam to my head and continue on with a mechanical fuel pump or to use the e21 head and switch to an electric pump. No matter which way I go I'll send the head off to the machine shop to have it pressure checked and probably get a valve job as well. The block I pulled it off had flat top pistons. I was hoping it had some crazy exotic pistons like some people on here uncover but I'll take what I can get!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's usually pretty easy to tell if it has at least been 'gasket-matched.'  When you drop the intake manifold gasket on the head all the holes will be the same size as the gasket...  And apparently those Carter fuel pumps, while expensive, work well- from what I hear.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Alternator adjustment bracket broke to two pieces. Took if off. Grinded, welded, painted and put it back. Fortunately alt end part leaned against the lower bolt head so i was able to manage 70 km trip to garage.

• Like 2

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

47 minutes ago, flagoworld said:

Put on bilsteins and lowered springs

HD and IE?

are you happy with the way it sits?

is it level fore and aft?

how did you differentiate front springs from rear?

what is the measurement from the ground to the top of the knee trim at each wheel arch?

which pads in back?  (1-2-3 dot?)

was the weight on the wheels when tightening suspension bits?

any added weight inside the car?

20 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

HD and IE?

are you happy with the way it sits?

is it level fore and aft?

how did you differentiate front springs from rear?

what is the measurement from the ground to the top of the knee trim at each wheel arch?

which pads in back?  (1-2-3 dot?)

was the weight on the wheels when tightening suspension bits?

any added weight inside the car?

Yes, HD + IE

I like the way it sits. I think it's pretty level... uhhh I'll double check later. Drives and feels great.

Rear springs are heavier gauge

Will measure ground-to-top later and get back to ya.

Pads are whatever Blunt gave me.

I jacked the wheel up when tightening the sway bars, and then I tightened the strut bolts (front and rear) the rest of the way after dropping it back down onto its wheels. I also got some 12.9 alan bolts and used red loctite to bolt the strut housing to the ball joint. Here's to hoping I don't die! ?

The car was empty in that photo? If that's what you're asking? -edit- It was also sitting on a hill which might partly be why it looks tilted.

Edited by flagoworld

'74 Verona

12 minutes ago, flagoworld said:

what you're asking?

The fasteners passing through the rubber suspension bushings want to be tightened with a 'typical load' in the vehicle, to minimize the stress on the bushings in the at rest position. 

(It only matters with rubber bushings though, since the poly ones simply slide on their inner bushings).

The strut mounts don't require pre-loading, but the control arm fasteners do.  (the ones through the rubber bushings).

In that photo it looks like you have more clearance at the front than the rear.  The difference in fender arch height will accentuate that look... but if it is higher in front, using thicker pads in the rear is one way to correct it.

3 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

The fasteners passing through the rubber suspension bushings want to be tightened with a 'typical load' in the vehicle, to minimize the stress on the bushings in the at rest position. 

(It only matters with rubber bushings though, since the poly ones simply slide on their inner bushings).

The strut mounts don't require pre-loading, but the control arm fasteners do.  (the ones through the rubber bushings).

In that photo it looks like you have more clearance at the front than the rear.  The difference in fender arch height will accentuate that look... but if it is higher in front, using thicker pads in the rear is one way to correct it.

I see. Well, I will check soon. If so, maybe I had mismatched springs or something like that.

Can you clarify "control arm fasteners"?

Edited by flagoworld

'74 Verona

Good progress this weekend. Couldn’t do anything without a respirator due to the smoke from the fire, so I strapped mine on an got to sanding. Smoothed out most of the panels. Spent an hour and a half on the hood alone. Patched most of the little imperfections I found after shooting the build primer. Guide coat works like a charm. Need to get the nose and engine compartment smoothed out next so I can shoot the final coat of primer. 99978E62-23B6-4E68-AD07-459F212012AC.thumb.jpeg.8df8a006778c623d0f2cc9d80e67839b.jpegBD2C9997-3A39-49CD-9A35-F685B76F6398.thumb.jpeg.8edfbefdce42a836f479fbb7f8034f77.jpegE5BC2C5F-CD34-4C37-8AFB-70DEFF56C896.thumb.jpeg.0f2c99c32afe39461896db12b9639985.jpeg8D8AB689-6D63-4260-99AC-3C9A2A8E4A53.thumb.jpeg.f6f224d7afc98788bde3c36a8cb1fb53.jpeg48278C76-1AA8-4BDD-B46D-BED3F626EBBD.thumb.jpeg.58fc72656b865c8b7cd4b17322a97386.jpeg

• Like 9

With a lot of help (and a lift and welding gear) from Barney, I rewelded the rear exhaust hanger on Sputter.  In the process, we found that the second rearmost hanger had ripped off the front of the muffler, and that the welds at the bottom of the exhaust pipe just down from the headed had cracked as well. 

They are are now all fixed up, albeit with very ugly welds. 

3FAD51CD-E9E2-4C4B-849D-D88F76C8F64D.thumb.jpeg.b6c9756aae850c6aa1ffc4077ac78d50.jpeg801F29E0-0993-48FA-BDFB-49F86CBC80F1.thumb.jpeg.8616ef95f772c6de0318593ffea5a06f.jpegE3358A55-0691-423C-9D69-FD5AA18847B4.thumb.jpeg.7123d5cac8c1e6880e86998f4c5eb6fc.jpeg06B6F4DA-FD68-41FF-B992-F8B4CFD01669.thumb.jpeg.d95b21744ae4987d6a715a8aec37500d.jpeg

867C8DA9-F3C9-44A8-BD8C-FFBE41E618B5.jpeg

• Like 1

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)