• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I had pistons stuck in my calipers too and chipped the ends of a couple while trying to remove them.  (Don't use hammers.  They're brittle).  I got some of them to pop out using compressed air, but I didn't do a good enough job of wrapping the caliper up tight in a towel and vaporized brake fluid blew into the air.  I was impressed by how much that irritated my lungs.  It was nasty, so be careful. 

In the end, the grease gun pumped them right out.  The threaded end on my gun's flex hose has the same threads as the bleeder, so I skipped the zerk.  I think you'll find that the rust is all in the outer quarter inch of the bore, outside of the seals.  I made a scraper to clean the rust out of mine, using some plastic and a strip of razor blade as the cutter.  It worked really well.  I did not split the calipers.

085.jpg

086.jpg

This socket setup worked better than the homemade plastic handle.  I used a little 1/4" ratchet on it too.

091.jpg

Tom

• Like 5

5 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

but I didn't do a good enough job of wrapping the caliper up tight in a towel and vaporized brake fluid blew into the air.  I was impressed by how much that irritated my lungs.  It was nasty, so be careful. 

Oh lord, yah I bet! Take care cuz brake fluid is NASTY stuff.

7 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

Had a demo of some very cool 3d scanning tech in the barn today. Going to be renting a unit in the future very soon to do a thorough job of the car and new components.

IMG_0441.MOV 97.78 MB · 0 downloads  

Beyond cool (the barn, I mean)! And can't wait to see what you do with the 3d data.

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 6/8/2022 at 3:51 AM, its55 said:

The only problem w/ the new calipers is that the top bleeder screws installed by Cardone are to long to clear my original 13" steelies.  This is why I returned a previous set.  This time I'm swapping the top bleeder screws from the calipers I'm rebuilding to the new Cardones to see how that works.  I'd like to find out where I can buy new short bleeder screws. 

You at least used to be able to get new bleeder screws with the rubber caps from BMW (Don't now if they're still available or not).  Here's an old thread I had to search for where I show a picture and give the BMW part # and the various sizes, etc.  Hope it helps...

Edit:  I searched on Blunt's website and they show them.  I know that the 34111103232 part fit the front calipers on my tii's.  That's all I know.  Not sure about other models.  The ones from BMW looked much shorter than the Dorman aftermarket ones shown on the left and they came with the rubber "Mushroom" caps when I got them in 2014.

BleederValvesFront.jpg

BMW_BleederValves.jpg

Edited by JohnS
add pic

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

You at least used to be able to get new bleeder screws with the rubber caps from BMW (Don't now if they're still available or not).  Here's an old thread I had to search for where I show a picture and give the BMW part # and the various sizes, etc.  Hope it helps...

Edit:  I searched on Blunt's website and they show them.  I know that the 34111103232 part fit the front calipers on my tii's.  That's all I know.  Not sure about other models.  The ones from BMW looked much shorter than the Dorman aftermarket ones shown on the left and they came with the rubber "Mushroom" caps when I got them in 2014.

BleederValvesFront.jpg

BMW_BleederValves.jpg

Thanks for posting this.  BMW wants $16 EACH for them.  I actually found the correct size on Ebay in Latvia, of all places.  They're probably not as nice as the BMW bleeders but should do the job.

Poured $65 into the gas tank on my way home from work yesterday.  10.5 gallons of corn-free fuel.

These trunks sure make nice tool boxes.  Plenty of room to spare with this load.

image.thumb.jpeg.c22a7bf06e25160f087069001b8984cf.jpeg

I snapped this photo to show just how elegant our square tail lights are...

image.thumb.jpeg.99e3bbc90693ca70563d4ac6ef782283.jpeg

The AFR has been reading richer at idle lately, but came up a little bit with the new tank of fuel.  I still turned the mixture screw when I got home, setting it back to 12.25ish.  Growing leaner makes me think vacuum leak, or fuel obstruction; but getting richer has me wondering what the cause might be.  I also turned the idle up from 800 to 825rpm.  It's been a couple years since I've recalibrated the gauge.  I'm supposed to pull the O2 sensor annually and let it read outside air.  I'll do that next time I am under there.

A few days ago, I checked the plug gaps (NGKBP5ES) and set them back to .025".  They'd all eroded to .030"ish. 

At the same time, I turned the dwell back down to 60, since it'd finally crept up to 61.  I dripped oil under the center post's felt plug and added grease to the points' rubbing block.  That was satisfying.

The AFR gauge sure is an empowering tool.  It's teaching me how to drive.  Climbing hills is especially fun, seeing just how much gas I can give it before it starts running richer.  In that way, the gauge acts like a Bog-O-Meter.

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 2

Reinstalled my rebuilt speedometer. Works like a charm!

My speedo had gone completely kaput! Cable stuck in the backside and I do mean stuck. Needle broken off in the wrestling match with the stuck cable. Ugh.

Shipped it to Buz Ras at Seattle Speedometer in the middle of the week. He got it on Monday, rebuilt it, and shipped it back. I got it yesterday, Saturday. So the total turnaround time was only 11 days!

• Like 2

Garage is starting to get a bit more serious.  Got a quickjack to make my life easier.  I ain’t 20 anymore ?

59D34159-0080-41DB-A66B-C8CF2E71B14B.jpeg

• Like 8

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Every Sunday my wife and I visit our favorite Taco truck in Watsonville.  There's no shortage of trucks to choose from (probably at least 10 sprinkled throughout town).  Normally my wife insists on driving us in her Honda.  Today, I said "no way, I'll drive".  So as we're heading down Freedom Blvd (the main drag in town), my wife turns to me and says "I feel poor when I'm driving in this car".  It cracked me up.  I say "people love this car, I love this car".  So we hit Tacos Los Jacona for their awesome Michoacan style tacos and I get at least three people coming up and commenting on my car.  Brought such a smile to my face ?

PS, I knew ray_ was into Pizzas, didn't know he was branching out into the taco biz... ☺️

TacoRun.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Work has kept me from the car for almost 4 months. Back at it, first thing was to finally get the new steering shaft bearing pressed in, it was not easy!  Once that was done, it was short work to reassemble the steering shaft components.  Up next: the pedal box.

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

16 hours ago, its55 said:

Began installing my new 2002faq intake block off plate.  Replacing a rather primitive one installed by the first owner.  Got pulled away for something else but hope to finish today.

IMG_6702.JPEG

67657116021__01167C45-1A0A-46CA-A429-9EB99D722E97.JPEG

67657242725__C62C1C77-7792-4C0B-839E-72DE5038950B.JPEG

Ok, finished that…

82061FB9-9484-4167-95B2-DF36AE0CF65B.jpeg

• Like 3