• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Today I fixed this

036.thumb.JPG.8a4a99ab5b5c714712a5e444603a6b8e.JPG

by doing this

006.thumb.JPG.8d4615d0d98a0fb897eadca4070832cd.JPG007.thumb.JPG.ac92906ad4b288a2504c3a7f0c5cc56c.JPG011.thumb.JPG.16b7205034d9b67f4842fd731e119388.JPG

now this's less of a snag hazard

013.thumb.JPG.1fad0472995aafca780c95d23158e696.JPG

That U-bolt was T00 long.  Hopefully the serrated flange nuts will get a grip on that bracket.

The '02's O2 sensor is still just hanging out, awaiting calibration.

015.thumb.JPG.d52a2d426fa6682a7c1b937be3eb0978.JPG

I ignored that problem today.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 2

A few more hours on the ‘73 today. 

I cut the arch off of the quarter in preparation for flaring this car.  Everything lined up nicely as I reattached the quarter panel to the car. I still need to replace the rocker portion of the panel. So I left the bottom 4-5” of the door opening loose

C758AE67-33E5-4A49-B46E-3B1AF746FF28.thumb.jpeg.f4a6462d78ef5cc7aec2484fa37e07f7.jpeg

I hung a door on the car as well. It lined up with little fuss.

4FA98046-2F45-41A1-B961-BBB42DE295C2.thumb.jpeg.a544f37c4e8f178c8e580a13ea19e43c.jpeg

I’ll start flanging and welding the outer wheel housing to the quarter soon as well. 

I spent a little bit more time on the floor pans. I need to get the car in the air for most of what’s left. I need to massage things from inside the tunnel. I’m sure nothing is going to move in the meantime.

56603D54-0368-4455-B1A2-8028E27ACAE4.thumb.jpeg.c6d2636dcd8febf9df12890d4a860fef.jpeg

Im looking forward to wrapping up this side of the car so I can flip it around and start on the drivers side.  I may drive it around to the garage though before I start on the drivers side. When the weather turns cold I’ll be more likely to work in the warm garage than in a tent. 

• Like 2

Just to follow up on those recent posts, today I put a VW bolt in the bung holio and removed the AFR wiring bundle. 

004.thumb.JPG.fc08fed0d15f5c165b8cdc020f4ca326.JPG

( they both have the 18 mm x 1.5 threads )

003.thumb.JPG.834568d5a34d46d4cdeae2d470de47a8.JPG

Filled the cooling system with a fresh mix of BMW BLUe antifreeze and went for a short drive.  AHhhh.

The battery was dead when I went to start it... which may have something to do with the wide band troubles I was having.  D'yathink?

It will be easy to test it now, without even installing.  All it needs is a constant hot source, switched hot, ground and the lighting wire connected. 

013.thumb.JPG.ea77bfb4618822090baaf9858c74f59e.JPG

I will mess with it later, when I am in the m0od.  

010.thumb.JPG.ab88c1147878bed6dfea3f44a14e325c.JPG

Well over the past few weekends I gathered most of the necessary part to get my 02 running. And managed to get it all together this past weekend. I ended up going with the lynx side draft and from what I saw with the way the car ran giving me full throttle with the single 40 makes me think that this set up seems pretty awesome when you have the right jet sizes! Just goes to show that this setup is great for being relatively decently priced! After all I'm a college student on a budget so thumbs up from me haha.

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6398.PNG

Edited by Diego Garcia
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Diego Garcia said:

Well over the past few weekends I gathered most of the necessary part to get my 02 running. And managed to get it all together this past weekend. I ended up going with the lynx side draft and from what I saw with the way the car ran giving me full throttle with the single 40 makes me think that this set up seems pretty awesome when you have the right jet sizes! Just goes to show that this setup is great for being relatively decently priced! After all I'm a college student on a budget so thumbs up from me haha.

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6398.PNG

Hey, please don't run your throttle return spring like this for 2 reasons:

1) there is a risk that this could bind and jam your throttle fully open.

2) having the throttle shaft loaded by the spring at a funny angle will increase the chance of wear of your throttle plate and shaft. 

Try running it to a tab on the nearest manifold nut directly in front of the carb on No 2 cylinder. It will work better and probably feel smoother too. 

• Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

54 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Try running it to a tab on the nearest manifold nut directly in front of the carb on No 2 cylinder. It will work better and probably feel smoother too. 

Would you mind sharing a picture of the preferred setup? Mine is like OP's but I have a 32/36. 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Simeon said:

Hey, please don't run your throttle return spring like this for 2 reasons:

1) there is a risk that this could bind and jam your throttle fully open.

2) having the throttle shaft loaded by the spring at a funny angle will increase the chance of wear of your throttle plate and shaft. 

Haha thanks for the advice but if you look back at the photos you can see that I’m not actually running my return spring at an angle. The return spring is on the firewall same as it would have been factory.

cheers dude.

F8B81D33-52BB-48A7-80B6-DE01DAC06684.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Diego Garcia said:

Haha thanks for the advice but if you look back at the photos you can see that I’m not actually running my return spring at an angle. The return spring is on the firewall same as it would have been factory.

cheers dude.

I suspect Simeon was referring to this photo.

Good that you changed it.

265600003_cheersdudethrottlespring.thumb.JPG.c9c65b8c8931f7587cfa76cbc7006019.JPG

A 32/36 has a spring built in to the linkage on the carb plus this is backed up by the spring on the firewall that acts on the throttle rod linkage. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 minute ago, Simeon said:

A 32/36 has a spring built in to the linkage on the carb plus this is backed up by the spring on the firewall that acts on the throttle rod linkage. 

Thanks, I was looking at the pic of OP's firewall-mounted spring, not the dual setup that Tom pointed out. I've seen dual spring setups on hot rods. They don't bind if you make sure the springs are oriented with their coils wound in opposite  directions. Also, typically they're not pulling on the carb linkage at an off angle. The problem with many dual springs setup in a redundancy configuration is that if either spring is strong enough to operate alone, the tension of the pair together can be extreme on the throttle shaft not mention driver comfort.

Cheers.

Just starting my restoration today, Minor fixes so far, new spark plugs, ignition wires, fixed the drivers side window done today.

Ordered everything to give my engine a good refresh, new rocker panels. Looking into getting my seats re-stuffed and either new seat covers or restitching my current ones, and repainting it to the original Granada red. The paint looks like a pretty shit Macco spray.

Engine should be rebuilt by the first week of October. 

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

• Like 2

72' 2002 Granada (Painted Malaga??) 3rd owner 

I also have to look into this more but the paperwork I was given with the car has the last service done to the car at 8000 miles and the odometer is reading 8096 miles. Which realistically unless the original owner put 100,000 miles on the car and kept no records I assume its honestly that low mileage. I know it sat for a very long time before the person I bought the car off of had bought it, so it's possible. I am skeptical but I am trying to find out how I can go by verifying it.

72' 2002 Granada (Painted Malaga??) 3rd owner 

Prepped it for Hurricane Florence. If I have some time I’ll raise it up from the floor some more, but we’ve already been told to evacuate in my particular neighborhood.

I’m praying for those south of us in the Carolinas. Be safe!

4018d9322ce0874b983b2573876aef16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602