• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Rebuild Costs

I recently pulled and did a stock rebuild here in Jax, FL. Headwork was $450, short block machine work was $1000 for a .50 over rings, parts were about $1000 ( new oil pump was large part) and I paid a good reputable shop $1200 to put it all back together minus ancillaries like the header and manifolds etc. I re-installed the engine. Car starts perfectly with just a quick twist of the key, oil stays cleans and it runs real smoothly. I'm in for under $4000.

8 hours ago, rover1 said:

what is the definition a rebuilt motor that is between 30-50 years old depending on what veriant of an m10 your going with? 

Every piece gets examined and replaced or repaired/refurbished as necessary, top and bottom half. Everything cleaned/painted. Everything should be checked for squareness, crankshaft bores, cylinder bores, camshaft bore, block and cylinder head decks, i.e., blueprinting, and finally everything balanced. And the price, it is what it is. I did a valve job on a 1981 Mercedes Benz 380SLC about 5 or 6 years ago and it came to about $5000. At that price it was probably a bargain because there was a lot of parts to take off and put back. Twice what you'd get from an M10 or more, easily. Never touched the lower end. In my humble opinion, thank you. 

17 hours ago, chrismcdowell25 said:

I got a quote for about $7000 to have everything done and about $3000-$4000 for the machine work only. 

Did they list out exactly what they're doing for the machine work?

How about a list of parts?  Cam?  Pistons?  Rods?  ARP bolts?

$7K seems high if it's a standard rebuild using mostly stock bits, but if it's a full on balanced/blueprinted motor with upgrades, that is different.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

That would be an extensive rebuild with enlarged pistons.  Everything squared and balanced.  I haven't gotten a breakdown of all of the parts and was still trying to get some more overall prices from other places.  I am also not sure exactly what I need to replace and what would just be beneficial.  I have been looking at a lot of parts on Ireland and some other sites and I am sure I could pick a lot of stuff that is great but am unsure how much of a benefit I would get vs the cost.

A lot of what you have to do for this type of motor is determined during the inspection (taken apart)

Not a complete list but this is what you are looking at (generally)

Disassemble, clean/hot tank

check, measure crank size for bearings (hope that your crank isn't buggered up)

Measure rods, check size of large and small ends,  re-bush small end (last motor I did I had an o-ring cut into the small end bushing ala M3...just more $$$ for that) re-size large if necessary (likley)

Inspect oil pump (unless its new your probably replacing it)

Pistons/rings (sounds like your getting new ones of these.....)

Timing chain, rail and tensioner (your replacing these unless they are nearly new....)

Hone bores (for sure), re-bore maybe

Deck block (maybe)

Install new freeze plugs

Finish block (ie., paint)

Surface flywheel

Assemble and balance

Bottom end gasket set

Cylinder Head Parts Replace:

Rocker Shafts

Rocker Arms

Valve guides

Valves (probably not unless they are jacked up or you want to change size)

Ancillary valve train hardware?

292 cam

Top end gasket set

Labor:

Tank/Clean Head/Pressure test head

Surface head (likely)

Assuming head is good, R&R Valve guides

Valve job (grind seats, assume no R&R on seats, again unless something is jacked up or you want to change material for some reason)

Port match intake (your call on that, i would do it.....)

Assemble head

Hardware (re-plate), not doing this in my opinion is like spending a pile of money to paint a car and then putting shitty old trim back on it....just me though).

I am sure I am missing a thing or two, thats my list.

Call Ken Blasko. It may be worth it to do a road trip to drop the car off and then one to pick it up. That's only like $100 in gas and you can really work with him on budget vs performance. The other great thing about Ken is if he finds something bad there are the new prices or he may have good used parts available as well. When he saus a part is good it's because e measures it and makes sure it is well within BMW spec and tolerances. He has done both my bottom and top end and yes once he gets into them you would be amazed at what internal part is out of spec. I'm sure other builders especially ones without a lot of m10 experience would probably miss some things Ken finds. Call Ken tell him your budget and ask him what that gets you. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I think my planning was a bit optimistic.

it always is, no matter how many cold showers you take beforehand...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Casey Motorsports, Petaluma.  (707)766-5050  They undoubtedly can refer you too.

Strip your engine down to it's basics.  Block and head.  remove EVERYTHING else. Deliver it to the shop.

Good .competent. knowledgeable shops can disassemble, evaluate and measure all internals very quickly. Then they'll phone you and advise you what they found/think your options are.  And a rough estimate of what they will charge you.

Your biggest component expenses will be Pistons and Oil pump. How many hours of labor will be required to accomplish what you/they want/recommend.   

Get the guesstimate in writing.

mac.

Thanks for everyones input.  I think I am going to check around with some of the more local guys and see what their ballpark price is.  Seems like the prices I am getting are reasonable and someone is going to have to just get in there to let me know how much machine work it is going to need.  I may have them do the machine work and fitment then try to take on the full assembly from there.

• 7 months later...

Hi Chris,

If you are still looking for a Bay Area engine.

I recently bought 3 BMWs and one Racing Engine Rebuilt.

Selling the engine!

Racing/Street Engine BMW 2002

Top end and bottom end are newly rebuilt and zero miles.

New Pistons, rings, rods, bearings.

Ireland engineering 10.5:1

The head was redone with larger intake and exhaust valves. 

292 degree Ireland cam.

Also all the timing gear, chain, tensioner guide etc. all new.

All new genuine BMW gaskets like head gasket kit

Down pipe $100, exhaust manifold $75. 

Fly wheel $100

Used Weber 32/36 $100

Intake manifold $150

Rebuilt starter $100

New plugs $12

New wires $50

Rebuilt distributor with new points, condenser, cap etc. $200. 

Used coil $40

New oil Castrol GTX 10-40 $25

These are just accessories that are attached to the engine to make it run and make it a drop in and go. No need to swap anything except highly recommend dual side draft carbs to exploit full potential of this engine.

Used:

Down pipe. Exhaust manifold are used. 

Intake manifold is also used. Weber carb 32/36 is used. 

Has a used fly wheel also.

$6200 Total

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

Race Eng.JPG

Race Head.JPG

Kevin Erdman

1976 Verona 2002

mostly original

HI Chris, Rich here from the opposite coast, Boston.  I have spent the last few months researching the identical project, a high performance stage II rebuild of my spare M1 ; ported, polished, bored, balanced, 9.5 :1 pistons, 292 schrick, webbed 40dco 's etc I have seen everything from $5K with a local guy back here, to $14K down South at Korman. Back here I have been having a hard time finding a engine shop that has experience in the M10, but amazingly I did just stumble on this shop in my area, CAMCO Racing engines, so I popped in there the other day and almost blew my mind, they specialize in 2000 HP nitro funny car engines and they had them laying around everywhere, along with a few cars, it was an unbelievable machine shop, but probably not the right place for my little old 02.

I was going to ask the community the same question about a engine shop that I have found out there on the West coast, Top End Perfirmance, check out their web site,racetep.com, very thorough and detailed with hundreds of photos of their engine work, I spent hours last night pouring over the information.  If for nothing else you should learn a lot about the process, at least I did, and based on their experience, I am ready to crate mine up and ship it out. Their price looks to be more like $5K, if I read it correctly and add it all up right. But now after reading this thread, specifically the response from torquewrench80, I might look into the shop in NY, just based on proximity. So I will be interested in hearing any feed back from the readers on the West Coast shop, Top End Performance, best of luck, Rich