• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires

2002#3

Had them for 10 months now and rallyed with them. No complaints and noticeably better grip and noise reduction over Kumho Solus. A German car magazine that tested them on a 911 against other tires like XWX gave them their top score. I've known many people who have liked them. 

I think the Turkish comment is some BS xenophobia. Show me some proof. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

i heard the quality of the tires is terrible. probably because they are made in a former rat factory in turkey

Please provide some reference point...otherwise this is fake news....I heard from some i**** that these tired are expensive and poorly made. Come on... that is really useless information without some background on who and what. 

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

On 1/19/2018 at 6:11 PM, bmw_e30 said:

...a former rat factory in turkey

I’m trying to understand this.  So....at one point in time they didn’t have enough rats in Turkey so they had to make them in factories? But now they have enough rats so the old rat factories can be fully devoted to producing inferior tires, sold to the sort of people willing to drive 50-year-old cars?  

And you read this in The Economist?.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Just for context, I used to run the sports tires for Michelin in the 90ies. I am no longer as close as I used to be, but still know a thing or two about tires.
Pirelli are not bad. However they never were in the same group in terms of technical capabilities as Michelin, Bridgestone and occasionally Continental. They were in the second tier together with Goodyear and co. Nothing wrong with that, but the objective performance and quality was never to the level of the reputation of the brand.
Then and to some extent still now, they were a great marketing machine, more than a great engineering firm...
I have a fun story of testing with Ferrari (on Testarossa) in Nardo and shredding the Pirelli tires while ours were spotless... but it would take a few drinks.

Anyway, the Cinturato is a good looking tire that looks right on these cars. I would be worried about pattern noise and uneven wear, and wet traction, but otherwise it's definitely better than "made in Pakistan" or similar tires.

I unloaded tons of tires back when I worked for NTW (now NTB/Sears). The ocean containers of Pirelli (Pxx and Pxxx) tires always smelled like urine.  We did get a large number of "blems" (blemished tires) that were returned from the stores back to the main warehouse where I worked.

These look fantastic though!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

21 hours ago, jgerock said:

I unloaded tons of tires back when I worked for NTW (now NTB/Sears). The ocean containers of Pirelli (Pxx and Pxxx) tires always smelled like urine.  We did get a large number of "blems" (blemished tires) that were returned from the stores back to the main warehouse where I worked.

These look fantastic though!

Why did the Pirelli tire shipments smell like urine? Is the urea molecule a byproduct of tire manufacturing?

Just now, golf73 said:

Why did the Pirelli tire shipments smell like urine? Is the urea molecule a byproduct of tire manufacturing?

Not sure- maybe the ship had mice and the container leaked water.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, jgerock said:

Not sure- maybe the ship had mice and the container leaked water.  

Probably stowaways from the Turkish rat factory  :P 

• Haha 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️