• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed: How to De-fog windshield when it's raining

Dionk

Advice needed - anyone have any tricks on how to de-fog a windshield (on inside) when raining w/o a operational heater box /defrost capability.

I'm Contemplating my 7 hr drive to Vintage through through any potential thunder storms.

Is a roll of paper towels my best option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry one of those shammy-covered sponges in my glove-box for such things. A clean, contaminant free windshield is your best defense, it gives less contaminants for condensation to adhere and form to.

I know "Invisible Glass" makes an anti-fog treatment product too, but never tried it.  

I keep a spare wiper blade assembly in my car, down next to the seat.  I guess it is a habit I picked up driving old foggy VWs.

It works really well to instantly defog the windshield/windows.

Get the flexible bar style and it will do a good job of conforming to the concave shape of the windshield.

Tom

Wiper Blade

I've used rain-ex anti fog in my air-cooled VW days and it helps quite a bit some of which might be having to clean the windshield to apply, paper towels also help, the wipper blade looks like a good idea as Minty's usally are.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Brings me back to my VW, days.. i was never smart enough to do any of this, i just took a deep breath of the leaky heater box fumes in the car and everything was super mellow after that. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

Brings me back to my VW, days.. i was never smart enough to do any of this, i just took a deep breath of the leaky heater box fumes in the car and everything was super mellow after that. 

By leaky heater box, do you mean bong?

I used to use good old shaving cream. The lather kind. Spray it onto a clean rag, wipe it off, and enjoy the clear windows for many miles. Cheap, and smells manly.

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

Rain-x 'interior glass anti-fog' (I'm not sure what it's called in the US) applied to clean windshield will work.  First clean your interior 'screen like this guy does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axI5Luw0Eos then apply the liquid SPARINGLY.  You could do a driver's side 'vision circle' if you can't be bothered with the whole windscreen.  It works.  The key, as mentioned by those above, is a spotless interior windscreen.  Use a clay bar if your screen is way filthy, honestly.  A clay bar works wonders on windscreens (usually exterior though - if you've been eating too much McDonalds you might need it on the inside.)

Daniel